Forums are back in action! ×

I Feel Like I Achieved Something Today

OK so I had a bit of a crap day today. It kinda started last night when I IM'd a good friend of mine from Uni and just got the impression that she didn't want to talk to me (short answers, not making any attempt to keep the conversation going) and it feels like it's been the same the last few times we've spoken. This was still bugging me this morning when I went to work. Work was fine but typically the end of my shift coincided with a thunderstorm that I had to cycle home in. That was more uncomfortable than anything but I have to cycle over a field towards the end of my journey to get to my house and the rain had made it really muddy to the point where trying to cycle on it was like trying to cycle with the brakes on. So I got off and had to push the bike across the field which wasn't much better as it still felt like the brakes were on but I was struggling to keep my footing. I don't know what it was but this just put my at an absolute low and I wanted to just give up then and there.

I managed to relax a bit when I got home and it just so happened that Steve posted a new article on here about motivation (definitely worth a read). I read through it, watched a couple of the videos embedded in it and read through some of the articles he linked to. Doing so really pulled me up and put me in a really pumped up mood. So I went into town this evening for my kickboxing class really motivated to train my arse off. I got there and the centre had been closed due to a power cut and therefore the class had been cancelled.

Normally I would have just gone home and taken the night off but having read something about not making excuses and keeping going even when it's hardest stuck with me. So as soon as I got home I got changed and went for a run and managed to put an extra 0.5 miles on what I'd done on Sunday and did 10 pullups (one set of 6 and one of 4) and 50 push-ups (one set of 30 and one of 20) at the end.

It may not seem like a lot but its a step in the right direction and I just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Congrats, Centurion! Thanks for sharing and thanks for motivating me through your sharing!

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London

"You don't believe in destiny?" "I believe a man does what he can until destiny shows itself". I just finished watching The Last Samurai, and it is one of the most epic movies of all time. Way to show life what is up. I bow before you as you have triumphed in the face of agony and defeat. When life gives you lemons, do pullups. ;)

Time to climb.

Oh man, I haven't seen the Last Samurai in so long - what a great film! It's back on the "watch again soon" list...

Also, congrats Centurion. I believe that the biggest challenge regarding health and fitness is changing your mindset to suit the lifestyle. The kind of motivation you felt is a huge sign you're on the right track! It's the conscious acknowledgement that you WANT to be fit and healthy, and actually doing it. Most people in this world would have slacked off that night, so you deserved this post in the Woot Forum!!

Congrats!!

- Grey

When life gives you lemons, do pullups. ;)

HA HA HA! I'm stealing that quotation... :)

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London