Forums are back in action! ×

2000-year-old Sorceress Naga

...really surprised this name wasn't taken. Am I the only Breath of Fire nerd?:(

I've been looking at the Nerd Fitness blog for a while, but I joined the forums today because a friend of mine was lamenting her thinness. I figure weight-training would be the best thing to help her obtain her goals, so I came to nose about for success stories and tips.

In my own case...well, a year ago, I was 144lbs, omnivorous, and didn't really do any exercise, apart from occasional bouts of running. I was also stuck in an unhappy relationship.

Now I'm 123lbs, vegan*, have been studying Krav Maga since February, and I'm taking my first Parkour class this Sunday, which, I think, makes me a ninja-in-training. I also just levelled up from knee push-ups to full push ups, though I do need to raise my shoulders before raising my core. Still working on pull ups and chin ups. I'm also training for a half marathon in October, and I do some yoga once a week, just to relax and stretch myself out.

Yesterday, I took a wander around my building to find places to train.

I found;

Grass for rolling on.

Trees for kicking.

A barrier across the carpark for doing lowered pull ups/chin ups (it's not the kind of barrier that opens, so I won't get killed, probably).

Walls to climb on/jump over.

94 stairs to run up and down.

I also live five minutes from a reservoir, which has a 1.5 mile path around it (useful for timing myself). It has bars for pull ups/chin ups, and some much lower bars, suitable for tricep dips, raised push-ups, and trying to balance on, and jump between. It also has poles for climbing up, but I'm nowhere near strong enough to do that yet. I'm not even sure where to start, really.

Finally, I also have my wonderful Anthony, and I've been asked to help lead a feminist workshop at this year's Feminista Summer School in Birmingham.:)

*I know that a lot of people here have had great success on a paleo diet. I did not become a vegan for health reasons, but I do find it works very well for me, and I have no intention of changing. Please don't try to convince me to, even with the best of intentions.

That said, I know that a paleo diet and veganism need not be totally mutually exclusive, so if anyone has any tips for wedding the two, I'd be interested in trying it.

You sound awesome, and I hope that all of our Paleo-touting isn't offending or keeping anyone at bay. I think we respect everyone's decision. Heck, you being a vegan is a lot better than you living off of donuts or something.

Welcome aboard. Female ninja? Awesome!

I played and beat BoF3, so I suppose that makes me a BoF nerd as well. :)

Time to climb.

I'd pay to see a ninja rolling on grass, kicking trees, doing pull-ups on barriers, climbing on walls, and running like a maniac up and down stairs in front of my house. :)

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London

Welcome to the Rebellion. Although there are a lot of paleos here, there are several vegetarians and vegans. We don't discriminate, all that we ask is that you are a nerd and want to level up your life. We all have to find what works for us as individuals. I found paleo, and it works wonderfully for me. There is no way veganism would work for me (I have a slight beef addiction), but I know that others find it great.

I think I want to be you when I grow up.

I think you're just fine as you.;p I still need to sort out my education/career/general direction.

Also, your birthday is five days after mine, so hi from a fellow Leo.

Thanks, Lorn and CapN Tommy.