Forums are back in action! ×

Finally decided to introduce myself...Johnny come lately ShadowLion

I'm a 54 year old music teacher/nerd who uses games - including an original musical RPG - to motivate my students (and myself!). So when I decided to level up my life, the Nerd Fitness Rebellion was a natural choice!

It has been a long, strange path to get to this point, though. I must be the quintessential jack-of-all-trades Ranger type - I've worked not only as a musician, but also as an illustrator, a web designer, software developer, a ranch hand, a bus driver, an hypnotist's assistant, a rodman and an instrument tech on a surveying crew, and as a firefighter/EMT. And that's not counting the odd jobs that filled in while I was going to college and in-between some of those various career changes!

Now, my epic quest is to not die with my biggest dreams still inside me:

1) To get into the best shape of my life by rehabilitating my overweight and injured body through physical training and eating clean, so that maybe, just maybe, I can get back out on a fire line again.

2) To escape the urban sprawl of the Phoenix metro area and return to my beloved northern AZ mountains, where I own a ramshackle old mobile home on an acre of ponderosa pine forest. There, with my partner, I want to build a passive solar cabin with a greenhouse and workshop/art studio for me, and for D, his dream garage where he can tinker to his heart's content. Ah, Heaven!

But, the biggest challenge of all, the one that haunts my nights and makes me tremble in fear? The one I'm afraid to even put into words?

3) To bring to life the fantasy fiction series that I've been working on for the last 20 years - first as traditional novels, but then as graphic novels, a video game, even a movie... I've gone into burning buildings and been an incident commander where I've had to make life and death decisions, but to put my writing out there really scares the beejeezus out of me!

All that, and keep whittling away at my still lengthy bucket list of places to go, things to see, and missions left to accomplish...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Good to meet you, ShadowLion!

Wood Elf  |  Level 0

Rebel  -  Aspiring Ranger/Druid (So basically a Jedi)

STR-0 DEX-0 STA-0 CON-0 WIS-0 CHA-0

Main Quest - Gain 3 Pounds   

150%
150%

Life Quest - Pay $200 Towards Debt   

2%
2%

"It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life."

-Captain Picard

Current Challenge

And you, austenclement! I like your quote. Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hey, we might be neighbors a few years down the road. Pres-cuit and Flagstaff are on my "final duty station list" for where I wanna go, auger in as a BC or DC (sorry, ADFMO/DFMO -- I forgot you guys don't use the R5 "real fire" titles there ;-) ), and ride out the end til retirement. That prob won't be for a while yet, but the area is definitely on my radar. :-)

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Welcome to the rebellion, Shadow Lion

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Hey, thanks! I will.

Hey, we might be neighbors a few years down the road. Pres-cuit and Flagstaff are on my "final duty station list" for where I wanna go, auger in as a BC or DC (sorry, ADFMO/DFMO -- I forgot you guys don't use the R5 "real fire" titles there ;-) ), and ride out the end til retirement. That prob won't be for a while yet, but the area is definitely on my radar. :-)

It's wonderful country. Pretty nice to be close to the Grand Canyon and able to just pop up there for a hike!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Archived