Forums are back in action! ×

Tips for SE Asia

I was in Thailand a few months ago, traveling up and down the country for 5 weeks. Meant to go to Cambodia and possibly Vietnam too but there was nowhere near enough time. But I'm also a veeery slow traveler. How long are you going for?

Getting around in Thailand is really, really easy, there are buses and trains that will take you to all the tourist sites, which effectively means all of Thailand. I prefer trains as it feels safer, and if you're going further North or South the night train is great .

Food there is best enjoyed at random food stalls, just go to the nice smelling ones where lots of locals eats, do some hand waving and pointing towards food and something will appear in front of you. You won't necessarily know what it is but chances are high it will be delicious. :) There are tons of food markets and you'll find stalls absolutely everywhere you go. In the other countries you probably want to pay more attention to food hygiene when eating out. But this is from what I heard rather than what I know.

I personally wouldn't spend too much time in Bangkok unless you know someone there or like shopping and other city things. It's manic (which can be fun in small doses), very polluted and not particularly nice to walk around in and explore. I also found it less friendly then the rest of Thailand. Which admittedly is still a very high level of friendliness!

Let me know if you have any other questions, but yeah you're going to have an amazing time :D

Thanks, Ms. Hatter!

I'll be in Bangkok for a couple days bookending the trip, Cambodia for a few days, and Vietnam for about a week. Since so many people have told me to pack light, I'm planning on going shopping for most clothes when I get to Bangkok. So knowing it's good for shopping and easy to get around is particularly helpful. Can't wait for the food! I appreciate your knowledge. 

Haha I was there just amonth ago! Best tip for travelling is in Thailand, go straight to bus/train companies, no travelagents! I payed alltogether 1000 Bhat for two day travel Koh Tao Chiang Mai and I know a friend paid more for just Bangkok Chiang mai. Also When crossing Cambodian border to Thailand or the otherway around I will advice to pay little extra for good company!We payed 20 dollars and got safe fantastic journey when few girls we met had been scammed 20-40 dollars off them.

Another thing about your plan. Spend an short time in Phnom Pehn. Due to it suffering so greatly in Khmer Rouge times it is a rough city and really not enjoyable. You must of course see the killing fields but I would suggest to stay only for a day/2. Then you can stay more in Siem Reap/Angkor area which is lovely! Also if you visit the temples get a guide! We didnt and we ended up eavesdropping on others as we were not sure about the history of all the locations:) Also try AMOK! I fell in love with it, it is a traditional Cambodian food. Im still so gutted we did not do a cooking course and learn to make it( Le paper Tiger in Siem Reap does a reall good course btw!)

Hopefully you will have ace time!

I got back from my trip last night, and without knowing it, I followed all of your advice, Octopope! The differences were that we didn't spend enough time in Thailand and we flew into Siem Reap, since we heard a lot of weird stories about the bus trip.

It was an incredible trip and far easier to do than I had thought, especially since my buddy and I met so many great people and helpful friends along the way.

You're right- AMOK was great. Angkor Wat was much better with a guide. And we were only in Phnom Penh for a day and a half, and it was the heaviest day, emotionally.

Vietnam was a great time. People are wonderful and I think we ate nothing but street food while we were there.

Did you learn to cook it? As I would kill for a proper Cambodian Amok recipie as I still dream of it:) Yea Phnom Penh is really tough but I am glad I saw it. Did you buy this book called First they Killed my father? If you didnt find it and read it, as that book explains the history of the city and the people so so well!

I am so glad you enjoyed it!