Forums are back in action! ×

Once upon a time.

Hello all, my name is Icarus, I am 26 currently work for the Navy and am looking to turn my habits around.

When I was in HS and college I used to run Cross Country and Track. My Sr year of HS my team came in 10th in the state in Cross Country and I Ran my fastest mile with a 4:48 in Track. In college while never quite meeting the same success I at least managed to maintain my fitness level. Then life got a hold of me and I stopped working out, I became "too busy."

While I was cleaning my apartment getting ready for yet another military move this last week I was shaking something out off my balcony and noticed my arms were wiggling after I stopped shaking whatever it was I held. I stopped stunned. While I had stopped working out I still ate well and maintained my skinny appearance not realizing that all my muscle was disappearing from disuse. At first I became disgusted and angry with myself, then I decided I could be a wuss or buck up and do something about it. My internet searching has lead me here.

While I am by no means "out of shape" (I went for a run the other day and ran 4 miles in 31 min) I am definitely far from where I was and where I want to be. I am currently 6'0" and 160lbs I have lost a lot of the muscle weight that I once had and I want to gain that back and more.

I mainly focused on running and speed when I was in HS and college because that was where I was always competing but I still managed to work on pushups and pull ups to supplement my running. I am now getting back into running but I also want to get into weight lifting, which is something I have never done. I am hoping to find the information and support that I need here.

Great to have you here, mate. I like the way you put it: "turn my habits around." Too many of us make it about our identities or self-worth, but looking at our fitness as a matter of habit definitely seems more realistic, healthy, and productive.

(Point of curiosity: Is your signature a signal that you're a philosophy nerd? Or a Baldur's Gate nerd?)

Druid | My Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you."

Ah, the horrifying wiggle. I am so so sorry that you have experienced that :D It sounds like you have an excellent plan and I'm sure that you'll find the weightlifting resources you need here. Best of luck to you!

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

People from all walks of life seeking different destinations often follow the same path. I'm glad we're all traversing this fitness trail together. Good luck! Work hard, aim high, strive for great success. Before you know it, that wiggle will be a thing of the past. ;)

♦ Paleo Warrior Princess â™¦

Lvl 0 Dwarven Adventurer

( Aspiring Mini-Amazon Assassin )

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Every day I'm Challengin': #1

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.â€
- Michelangelo Buonarroti

Archived