Forums are back in action! ×

I can't think of anything witty, I used it all in the post...

"I was an assassin once, in my youth. Running along the building tops, leaping from ledge to peaked roof, scrambling for a foothold silently as I stalked my target. Being able to endure an entire evening of this. Alas, my body and age have forced me to give up such persuits."

"You're not even 28."

"Well, I mean... there comes a time when a man has to prioritize and focus on his family and career."

"You mean focus on good food and drink."

"You know brain, you're not making this easy on me."

"Finding excuses? No, I'm not. That's my job."

"Why are you so good at it."

"You spent years training and strengthening me, it's about time you turned that attention to the rest of this package, fat-ass."

"*Sigh* Fine..."

Hi there,

So yeah, I used to be in shape. In high school I trained for competitive mountain biking and spent all winter on a snowboard - in between drama club and playing D&D and World of Darkness of course. Then college came, and the glory of sleeping in, playing video games and... well, sleeping in. Since then I have started to add some pounds. Of course, I discovered Parkour in college, and that staved off the expansion of my midsection for some time, but then I stopped doing that and it all went downhill from there.

Since high school I gained about 70 pounds. From 140 to 210 - though thankfully in the last year I have managed to drop about 20 pounds of that simply by changing my diet to a mostly paleo one. However, I have never been able to work up the motivation to start - and maintain - working out again. Back in February I decided to start the paleo diet, and I also began doing yoga and some basic calisthenics in the morning. That lasted until PAX East - so about a month. Since then I haven't really been able to motivate myself to get back into the morning routine. Thankfully, that has changed!

This week I buckled down and started working out in the mornings again, adding a few exercises to my morning routine and planning out extended workouts 3 days a week. My goal is certainly not to be 140 again - at 6'0" that weight is simply... too small. But I want to shrink this waist size down to a 36, or even 34, and keep it there. And maybe start doing Parkour again - who knows?

About me?

Well, I'm 27, soon to be 28. I'm a writer by trade, nerd by life. I'm a singer in a metal band and I play tabletop RPGs, boardgames and video games. I consider myself a jack of all trade and am interested in virtually everything, from fine single-malt Scotch to playing with legos. I'm still an avid cyclist, but now that I live in a city (Boston) it's more to get around than for hours of leisure riding in the hills. I have a wonderful girlfriend we are owned by our two cats. My current goal is to drop to 180 by mid-October, and ultimately to shrink my waistline from a 40 to a 36 by the end of the year. Grab my Raptr and Fitocracy links from my signature and say "Hi" if you want to know more, or just chat!

This is the most recent picture I have of me. I'm the fat one, not the cute one (and obviously not the statue of Elizabeth Montgomery).

post-20628-0-74657300-1375796116_thumb.j

Ravnos - aka Ian

Former Assassin/Current Slacker

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Hi there! I'm new too and I felt super compelled to reply as you sound so much like an old friend of mine. I'm a singer as well (classical though!) Best of luck getting going with the morning workouts! I find the less time I blunder around the house before I leave the gym, the better I perform. Might not work for you but I find going still a little bit asleep prevents your brain from going lazy on you.

Cheers! :)

Hi there! I'm new too and I felt super compelled to reply as you sound so much like an old friend of mine. I'm a singer as well (classical though!) Best of luck getting going with the morning workouts! I find the less time I blunder around the house before I leave the gym, the better I perform. Might not work for you but I find going still a little bit asleep prevents your brain from going lazy on you.

Cheers! :)

Thanks! I actually pretty much go straight into my workout as soon as I wake up as well. I'm not a morning person and it really helps me wake up and get going with my day. Good luck to you as well!

I was trained as a classical singer, which made switching over to singing and screaming in a metal band an... interesting transition, but a fun one.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

I think this is a trap - I think you ARE the statue of Elizabeth Montgomery and you're trying to pull the wool over our eyes! Well I'm on to your ruse!

You know... I originally typed "I'm the heavy one, not the cute one," then realized that that would definitely be a trap considering I'm pretty sure the bronze statue weighs more than me!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

That would be quite the transition! I can almost perfectly picture my university voice teacher coming at me with a baseball bat if I tried anything like that (even though it seems like total fun)

If you're at all interested in that style of music I highly recommend the Zen of Screaming series of videos. They aren't all that helpful honestly with getting the proper technique, but the provide interesting insight into why "screaming" isn't bad for your voice and how to transition from singing to screaming with ease and maintaining quality and tone.

Enough promotional nonsense from me though...

Level 5 Viking Berserker

If you're at all interested in that style of music I highly recommend the Zen of Screaming series of videos. They aren't all that helpful honestly with getting the proper technique, but the provide interesting insight into why "screaming" isn't bad for your voice and how to transition from singing to screaming with ease and maintaining quality and tone.

I'll definitely check that out! :) Always looking to expand my knowledge of the art. And now that I'm sure you're not a bronze statue I think I can trust your suggestion.

I'll definitely check that out! :) Always looking to expand my knowledge of the art. And now that I'm sure you're not a bronze statue I think I can trust your suggestion.

Muahahah my plan is working... er... is this thing on? I mean! RIGHT! Not a statue at all... nope.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

It's good to meet you Ravnos! I'm on a similar path to get back into shape. I used to be in great shape, as that was part of my job. But when I got out of the Army my little break/vacation lead to a very long stint of simple laziness. I've started eating paleo (modified) since I've found this site and working out regularly. Many of the stories help to motivate me to get off my ass and get a workout in.

It's good to meet you Ravnos! I'm on a similar path to get back into shape. I used to be in great shape, as that was part of my job. But when I got out of the Army my little break/vacation lead to a very long stint of simple laziness. I've started eating paleo (modified) since I've found this site and working out regularly. Many of the stories help to motivate me to get off my ass and get a workout in.

Thanks! Yeah it can be very easy to fall into laziness. Good luck!

Also - props for Deadpool avatar.

Level 5 Viking Berserker