Forums are back in action! ×

A momentous accomplishment (for me!)

This may not seem like much to some people, especially to those of you who defy all odds and logic and are unbelievably (and possibly, magically?) morning people. And not just morning people, but people who get up early, and can function to the point where they can do something constructive... something beyond dressing yourself and dragging yourself off to work. I'm talking about...

The morning workout.

I have tried countless times in the past to wake up early to work out, only to convince myself to put it off and go back to sleep. I have always considered working out in the morning BEFORE going to work next to impossible. I am an "alarm goes off, hit snooze, go back to sleep, repeat" type of person. I am NOT a morning person, and in fact, tend to be unreasonably irritable and surly until I've been up for an hour or two (sad, I know, I'm working on it).

But, last night as I tried a new yoga DVD, the thought occurred to me that the way they gently eased you into the beginning of the workout could possibly be a tolerable way to get moving in the morning (seated breathing, then seated stretching flowing into increased movement and working up to starting the actual vinyasa series). So I planned to try it... even just this once. So last night, I went to bed 30 minutes earlier (on purpose, instead of crashing on the couch watching TV) and I set my alarm for 30 minutes earlier than usual. I even slept in clothes I could work out in (there's not much difference between my yoga wear and pajamas anyway). I must admit, if my dog didn't want out when my alarm went off this morning, I may have easily just gone back to sleep like all the times before. But I found myself, up, dressed, and in my living room at 5:20am. I fought the urge to go back to bed and started up the DVD... I even stopped myself from skipping one section and did the whole thing! Trust me... this is a momentous accomplishment for me!  :triumphant:

I'm so excited I may even do another workout this evening... 2 workouts in one day?? That would be another first for me!

The cake is a lie.

That's great! Do you notice all the energy you have? 

I find working out in the morning much better than in the evening because I'm alawys so pumped and happy afterwards that I've done it that I could just do another round! 

I'm happy you found a way to make it work for you and I'll be crossing my fingers that you manage to make a habit of it! 

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge