Forums are back in action! ×

Dizz in the desert

Hi!  I'm Dizz, I was brought here by one of the articles on the NF site. Anyway, I'm a nerd in more ways that I care to describe now. :P  I am a nurse and a new one. In school, I stress ate and didn't exercise much. It was really intense. I graduated and suddenly I had free time. I decided to lose the weight I have gained in school plus what I had from before. I joined a gym and I kicked butt.  

I started with 30 min weights/45 cardio 4-5 days a week.  That made a huge difference in the initial 2 months and I had greater endurance and lost a few pounds.  Then I got work and was unable to go more than 2-3 days a week.   I hit a plateau, but still felt better in general than before I started working out.

Then my feet started to REALLY hurt. They have been achy the whole time, but it seems worse the last 2 months... See this thread: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/35597-plantar-fasciitis-but-i-wanna-run/

Anyway, I'm thinking the wise thing is to give my feet a break and do other things to work out. Today I went for a swim and managed to get winded, good workout.  

More about me.

I juggle, which is a great workout on it's own... especially when I drop!  I continue with the weights, since being a nurse requires me to pick people up sometimes. I don't do it for 30 min anymore, more like 15.  :nevreness:

Level 9 Tiefling Ranger/Scout

STR 9 DEX 16 CON 15 INT 10 WIS 13

Current challenge

Mordor: Hobbiton -> Rivendell (238/458 miles)

Water advice  Join the Circus!

Hi there, first congrats on the gains you've already made. Foot pain isn't fun. I would recommend the book "Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief" by Katy Bowman. It may give you some insight to healing. Beingp a nurse is such a tough job and I admire you for it. I can be hard on the body especially if your working weird hours. I should probably go do my introductions now. Thanks for being here.

Good luck, Dizz! Being a nurse, being on your feet and lifting people, is definitely a workout! I have also struggled with foot pain and it is a real bummer. The best advice I can give you is to see a podiatrist asap - something as simple as an orthotic in your shoe can make all the difference. In the meantime, ice is your friend! An ice footbath is a lovely relief at the end of the day - bucket of water and some ice cubes. It is a little shocking at first, but you'll appreciate it when it's over. I look forward to following your journey!

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

Saw a podiatrist and he ordered an orthotic... insurance doesn't cover it, can't justify the $300 right now. Sandals seem to help, so wearing those as much as possible.

Progress: 

Workout today was juggling for 2 hours. I'm learning to juggle clubs, and I drop a lot. That means each drop is a squat, one for each club dropped. :P My arms are tired and I definitely got my heart rate up.  Also took several opportunities to take the stairs.

Does this make me a Ranger/Bard?

Current challenge

I guess I better say where I'm starting out healthwise.

5'6", 225 lbs.  Started weight loss in January at 231 lbs.  

Endurance is up.  Speed is up. 

Increased weight from 30 lbs to 70 lbs on leg extension machine.

Able to balance doing lunges without help now (usually)

Beginning to see the calf muscle when I flex my leg, that is new.

Waist shrunk from 43" to 38"

I want to keep going in this direction, but my life is in turmoil. I'm trying to maintain/improve until the turmoil settles.

Current challenge

A bit of an update.

Since I've started running and bought new shoes for work, the foot pain is almost gone. Yay!!!!

The juggling has become a bigger part of my life since I left my EX in February.  Best thing I ever did.  My fitness goal has morphed into something new.  I am not just a juggler, but a Flow Artist. There are forms that I simply cannot maintain or do until I get in shape.  I would love to get into AcroYoga, Aerial silks or even juggling for longer than I already do without getting tired.  I am naturally flexible but the 50 lbs of fluff is just plain restrictive.

I would love to get feedback on this.

Flow is the state of relaxed responsive focus that you feel when you're "in the zone" and ready for anything. 

Flow is the state of optimal experience that occurs when your body, mind, and spirit are in dynamic balance. It's what's happening when the Now is so compelling that everything else fades away. Ego and fear dissolve in the perfect moment, time slows down, and whatever you’re doing becomes a meditation. Flow toes the fine line between controlling your actions and obeying your commands.  You know when you're in the flow, and flowing is half the battle. Where will and physics intersect, we hone our own flow.  

Current challenge

Archived