Forums are back in action! ×

Better dead lifts!

My dead lifts suck. It's an exercise that I hate, yet adore at the same time due to the results they're potentially capable of.

My posture is pretty crap, especially when I sit down. I also find when I dead lift with heavy weights, my back tends to curve which I'm told can be dangerous.

For almost a year I've been working on form for dead lifts, working at only 100kg maximum (220Ibs) just to get the form right. Normally, I dead lift with a sumo stance, I don't do conventional very often. I've also been really trying to work on my core lately as well, to try and help stabilise myself so I don't end up curving.

Two days ago I managed to dead lift 140kg (308Ibs) and I did two reps, with very little negative change in my posture. The first rep I kept my posture up right, while the second rep my posture only went forward very slightly, so it wasn't concerning. It felt so much easier and it didn't feel "painful" like it used to. I also did it in a conventional stance rather than sumo, so I don't know what happened there. Maybe I'm finally starting to understand conventional dead lifting.

Regardless, I'm really happy with this result and I look forward to trying it again next week. :)

Nice.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Way to go! A great tip I once heard for DL is to activate your lats and shoulders. Your arms are kinda like meat hooks in the DL but they're not inactive. Lock your lats down and put your shoulders back. If you put your back against a wall and push the wall with your palms those shoulder  muscles are the ones we're talking about. This will help keep your upper back very well stabilized as you ascend. 

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Nice job!  Sounds like you're making great progress!

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

EliteFTS has been putting up a series "So You Think You Can Deadlift?" You should really watch it. If it's anything like the series on bench and squatting it will have you ironed out totally by the end.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Way to go! A great tip I once heard for DL is to activate your lats and shoulders. Your arms are kinda like meat hooks in the DL but they're not inactive. Lock your lats down and put your shoulders back. If you put your back against a wall and push the wall with your palms those shoulder  muscles are the ones we're talking about. This will help keep your upper back very well stabilized as you ascend. 

I second this. 

Well done Cr33g, congrats on your progress :)

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, input and advice. I really do appreciate it. :)

Last week I was able to pull off three reps at 140kg (308Ibs) so I was very happy that there was a one rep difference from two weeks ago, to last week.

I've really been focusing on just trying to keep my torso upright and tight, and focusing on my legs and heels to drive the lift upward to begin with (lift with your legs basically). I've also been ding extra core work three days a week which I think is improving my form on my dead lift.

Slightly off topic, last week on Friday, I went to the gym to work on legs. With my squats, I could only squat 100kg (220Ibs) with only three reps. Yesterday (Monday) I went back to the gym originally planning to do chest, but I forgot Monday is apparently International Chest Day, all the benches were taken so I decided to do legs again. Strangely, I did my 100kg squats but I did five reps, easy. So, I upped it to 105kg (231Ibs), another five easy reps. I tried 110kg (242Ibs) and I managed to pull off four reps. I have no idea where this improvement has come from? Could it be the additional core work I'm doing? Whatever it is - I'm happy. :)