Forums are back in action! ×

Hey fellow rebels ^_^

Kali here, I identify as a halfling ranger at this point in my life. I'm a noob to NF style of exercise, but not exercising in general. Been doing bodybuilding.com for about 2 years now, started Paleo around the same time. Problem is, I feel a low level of motivation to keep at any one plan, coupled with The Shiny Object Chaser, makes for a difficult time for me. I never quite feel like any plan I start is well rounded enough or good enough and move to another plan in the hopes of seeing progress, without giving my body time to actually show progress DX

I'm not doing badly overall, just not as good as I think I can do. Here's some specs:

5' tall, about 125 lbs (not bad, but mostly fat and I know I can do a lot more muscle)

I can run a mile without stopping, although I will be gasping for air and not going fast.

My 1 max reps are bench: 95lbs, squat: 130lbs, deadlift:140lbs

I have biked a straight 12 miles before.

Can kind of swim...kind of XD Just never was taught proper strokes

I also have some random workout stuff here and there, like doing ballroom dance and zumba, tried parkour, want to do rock climbing

So like a ranger, jack of all trades and master of none ^_^

But I want more. I want to be able to do a triathlon in 3 years. I want to do rock climbing. I'd like to be able to bench, squat, and deadlift 1.5x my body weight and overhead press my weight. I want to have more speed, agility, and endurance to try things like parkour more. If I had the money or facilities, I'd like to do crossfit. Might try to hodge-podge it yet XD

So yeah, random smattering of info from me ^_^ Ask me anything and I will tell you anything. Have to hop off to bed now as it is late where I am at.

Kali Vika Steeltracker, level 1 Dwarf/Halfling Ranger| STR 3| DEX 2| STA 2| CON 3| WIS 2| CHA 3|

might "multiclass" myself into Assassin qualities later, depending on the journey ^_^

/BB Tracking/ fitocracy/Agent_Q/

welcome to the rebellion Kali

as far as I can tell the "NF style of exercise" is whatever style of exercise you feel like doing... we have people here who do everything :)

I hike... and I climb mountains... and some of the mountains I climb have some fairly technical stuff... (although most of the stuff I climb is more considered bouldering than rock climbing) so I can say that rock climbing/bouldering is awesome

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Aw, you're so lucky alienjenn :( Getting to climb mountains and bouldering, no fair! XD

I visited Washington State a few years ago and fell in love with the mountains there, itching to get back there as soon as I can ^_^ I can get hiking in around my state, especially if I travel closer to the Mississippi River and the bluff country around there, but nothing beats the WA State trees that look like they are on steroids since they're so massive XD

By "NF style of exercise", I guess a more accurate description would be to say more body weight exercise. I have been on bodybuilding dot com for a few years and the style of exercise promoted there is more barbells, dumbbells, and machines with isolation exercises. There is still plenty of compound movements and body weight stuff, but not nearly as promoted as it is here. And although I could see results from those exercises from there, I didn't feel stronger really. I also didn't feel like I was working towards any cohesive goal, just a vague goal of "look better". So arbitrary DX

But with body weight exercises, there are more obvious goals, like being able to do human flags and muscle ups or even just a clean pull-up without kipping. Plus, the gamer in me loves the idea of being a real life ranger ^_^ I love using herbs already for medicinal uses and plan to someday have a edible/medicinal garden. I love camping and also hope to improve on my rough camping skills and start learning orienteering skills.

Kali Vika Steeltracker, level 1 Dwarf/Halfling Ranger| STR 3| DEX 2| STA 2| CON 3| WIS 2| CHA 3|

might "multiclass" myself into Assassin qualities later, depending on the journey ^_^

I live like 5 miles from the AT... awesome mountains here ;)

we go camping at least 2x month in the summer... and go at least 1x month even in the winter (as long as it's above about 40 I feel free to go...)

I don't really body weight exercise... I do somethings (working towards pull ups and push ups and such) and my boy can do a flagpole wants me to get strong enough to do human flag on a human flagpole... it looks awesome...

I have wanted to be a ranger since I first read the LOTR (so like.... 25 years ago!)... I love all kinds of exercise (the gym... biking... the riding... the  climbing... the yoga,.... the wrestling... everything)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Aw, no fair :( Winter's here are brutal, almost always below 0, sometimes as low as -40, with big piles of snow. Great for sledding and skiing (which I need to do this year XD )

Human flag on human flagpole is pretty awesome, saw a video of Al Kavadlo doing it with his brother. I'd be happy just doing a regular human flag, but I think that is a ways off for me yet ^_^

LOTR's Aragorn definitely inspired me, but my first inspiration was the rangers I saw from my brother's D&D books. I loved the idea of communicating with nature like a druid, but more of surviving it and reading the land versus having a spiritual connection, as well as using plants around them for food and medicine. Also just prefer a sword to a staff XD

At the same time, I was pulled to the assassin for their agility and dexterity, but my body doesn't allow for stuff like parkour....yet ^_^ I'm still holding out hope for it yet.