Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a nerdfit newbie but have actually been taking steps to get healthier (and skinnier) for about a year. I've lost about 40 pounds since last August, and spent 3 weeks in June hiking 180 miles of the Long Trail in Vermont.  This was a HUGE accomplishment because I'm not exactly naturally athletic. I have a lot of dedication and determination though.

I accomplished my weight loss through lots of dietary changes (portion size control, cutting out all fast food/junk food) and a lot of hiking and walking.

Post my trip I lost my motivation for a bit. It was hard not to have a big goal to train for, so despite having horrible knees (they dislocate really easily) and being an insanely slow runner (it takes me about 17 minutes to walk/run a mile), I signed up for a charity 5K on 10/3.

We also have been working on cutting processed food completely from our diet. I'm not a Paleo person though, we actually eat very little meat.  So when I say we, my household consist of me, my husband, an 18 year old art student we mentor (who eats lots of steak when we aren't home), and 3 cats.

Fitness wise I've also dabbled in yoga and weight lifting.

On other fronts I'm a LARPer.. a really hard core LARPer who has been attending the same system for 15 years (yea I'm old :P) and if I'm not actually at an event every weekend I'm likely to be doing something related or at minimal with friends from there.

I'm into real food and try to avoid eating things with more than 4 ingredients. I'm working on cooking more and freezing things to make that easier.

I'm a minimalist in terms of possessions.

We love to travel (and leave for Ireland on 9/8).

I like taking photos (but am by no means an technical expert.

We don't have cable but I get into watching series via the wonder of netflix-- True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, Orange is the New Black, Dexter, Etc...

So I'm currently a starting human adventurer, and I really haven't figured out what I want to be yet. I've always loved the idea of running but considered it something beyond my ability. I'm just starting to believe it is something I can achieve. I also would love to put on more muscle eventually.  That said I have a lot in common with druids too so maybe a druid/ranger/scout???  I don't have a "place" I'm trying to get to or static vision I'm trying to achieve. I just want to be the best me possible and keep learning and growing.

(oh and I'm the person in the middle in avatar I posted. My awesome friend on the left is a derby chick who got her head shaved for charity this past Saturday right after that was taken)

Hi Angie! Welcome to NF we're very glad to have you :D

It sounds like ranger would fit you quite well for the moment at least because they're a little bit of everything :) So that fits running and lifting.

What sort of characters do you play at LARP?

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

I just did my first 5k too :) what was your time?

and welcome to the rebelion!!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'm sorta slow 34:20 (I had to walk about 20% of it)
haha :) mine was 48:20 :) so don't feel bad!

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I *actually* was 165/167 ;)

not the last!!

and it was 6 minutes faster than my fastest ever time

Spoiler

I had nightmares about being last pre the race actually but the one I did was really small and I was 20/28, and once it was day of and I was around everyone I kind of realized the people that say it doesn't matter where you finish it matters that you are running were right. I'm not sure if some of them get competitive but the one I was in was super supportive/community focused.  Starting like that made me much less scared to do another. 

I'm going to on Thanksgiving. That course is hilly so I'm curious on if A) I'll run the full distance this time B) I can beat my time despite the hills.

I know... I was so worried about the crowds... it was so hard... (social anxiety FTW!!!! right?? anyone anyone??)

but I had the boy with me... so it wasn't terrible

and my goal is to keep working on running the whole thing :) I will run the next one!!

Spoiler

I had 2 boys with me too, but both were friends in their 20's who are way more naturally athletic than me. It ended up being fine cause they are awesome and supportive, but I went through moments of thinking I was crazy for bringing people I knew I'd fall short of if I compared myself to them.  One finished 11 minutes before me the other 8. the one who finished first came back and ran the last third of a mile over with me. 

We'll have to stay in touch and make sure we each follow through on the plan to RUN another one :)

my 16 year old ran right by my side :) for the whole thing... 

he is such a big encouragement for me... he is a super strong kid (there are pics on my thread)... and runs all the time... 

at one point we found a bunch of cups from the water station on the ground... so he stopped and picked them up while I kept running and then caught me... because he is like super fast... 

for defs!!!

Spoiler

Archived