Forums are back in action! ×

(I had to post an English version for my introduction as when I looked back at my other one, it might be just a -tad- intense ( http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/36265-return-from-the-wild/ ) and I DO actually want to meet some fellow rebels.

So, hi!

My name is Makhal apparently, and I'm a 25 year old wandering Canadian.  I've been traveling since 2008, cruising around Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South East Asia (Thailand/Laos/Cambodia) and a couple other quick stops.  

I've also been f-ing around a hell of a lot:  partying, boozing, having way too much fun for my own good (literally).  

I don't see this stopping any time soon really, I plan to continue having LOTS of fun but at the same time if I can offset any of this with moderation and some healthy habits rock and roll!  

I've never really exercised/worked out regularly in life, not to say I haven't been fit from work/just living crazy, but I'm really trying to give it a good go now.  Same goes for the diet/nutrition thing (can't eat too unhealthy living with a hill tribe family in the jungle but seeing as I'm typing on a keyboard I guess I'm not there anymore).

Forums have never been my thing either, but this whole accountability idea that comes out of this community just seemed to good of a tool to waste.  So...here we are!  Is this awkward?  F*&@ if I know, you tell me!

Anyways, there it is dudes and dudette's any tips, suggestions, challenges or volleyballs you've got just huck em my way. 

Cheers,

um..Mahkal

Human-Dark Elf

Globetrotting Gypsy / Loose Cannon Neo-Sorcerer / Aspiring Assassin 

Daily Battle Log   |   Current Challenge

There is no struggle too vast. No odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall. We will know that we have lived. - Anomander Rake

hey man, welcome to the rebellion. [i approve of the can of Bud in your pic, btw. ;) ] i'm planning on heading to Thailand this spring, myself. any tips/places i should be sure to check out/places i should be sure to skip/advice in general?

the idea of forums started out as weird and foreign to me too. you get used to it as a form of communication, and it's actually pretty fun!

if you want to participate in the next 6 week challenge, the advice i would give is to start thinking about what exactly your goals are. hell, even if you aren't planning on doing the next challenge, this is something you should be thinking about! people who have specific goals are much more likely to meet them. and the NF community can help you much more if we know what exactly we're helping you to do.

glad to have you with us, Mahkal! be sure to keep posting and letting us know how you're doing!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Cheers for the welcome Hannah :D

Yeah forums are mad weird.. *taps microphone*   "Can you hear me?!"

I'm definitely in for the 6 week challenge coming up, that's the main reason I actually made an account for the forum.  I guess I'm a rebel for a bit, but can't wait to start takin' contracts after my first challenge, oh yeah Assassins Guild here I come.

My goals are generally centered around getting a tiny bit more massively muscle-ish via intense bodyweight work outs, as I'm hugely thin these days.  I've got pretty much no equipment at all, and I've got time for now, but when work starts up again life will be pretty full on and I'm not so into the idea of gyms...yet! 

As for Thailand... Muahahaha  :devilish:   Yeah nah, I have way too much fun in that country.  I'm of the mind that real travel is all about doing it on your own, and avoiding the beaten path or at least the people sitting behind cash registers who would like to take you down said beaten path for ridiculous amounts of cash.  Chances are you'll be landing in Bangkok, and as crazy as it is I'd say get down to Koh Sahn Road and see the madness for yourself.  That place is a living breathing nightmare-ish beast.  It's where all the tourists generally end up and you've got to see it in your life at least once.  Go eat some scorpions and down em with a bucket of Pina "Corada" (ha, always cracks me up).  See the wizard women and their wooden frogs, smash back some street Pad Thai, and drink Chang beer from the 7/11 and experience your first Chang-over the next morning.  Be sure to haggle hard for everything, with a smile of course. (you're still getting ripped no matter how cheap it seems)  Ohhh, Bangkok...But yeah, after that there's so many places to get to:  Chiang Mai up north (wicked city, close to where I lived with the hill tribe), the gorgeous islands and the beaches down south.

The whole area is nuts.  I've got some pretty sick resources I can link you up with on my other computer and lots of little tricks to make getting around and life in general that little bit easier/cheaper. (Remind me)  

How long are you planning on being over there?

Human-Dark Elf

There is no struggle too vast. No odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall. We will know that we have lived. - Anomander Rake

hah, sounds like you've got a lot of eating ahead of you on your road to bulking up. i'll probably be spending some time in the assassin's guild this time around, too. i'll be trying my hand at parkour, and i'm guessing the battle-hardened traceur people of the guild will have some helpful hints on how i could avoid killing myself by accident. scary, but so exciting! anyway, i'll probably see you around there!

yes! ahhaha i'm getting so excited just hearing all this stuff you're talking about! i am also all about seeing the stuff that tourists don't generally see. [i thought you might be a kindred spirit there... :) ]
i'll be there for a month at least, but i'm hoping i can stay for longer. i'll be on the standard i-just-graduated-from-college fund, so the cheaper, the better! any connections you can hook me up with at all would be hugely appreciated.

level 4 elf ranger

Parkour is intense yo' I started messing around with it a bit in high school, never got too far but had lots of fun.  My buddy was better at it than me, I was quite content to run around the forest and climb trees all day long.  Only ever did crazy stuff after some beers, woo liquid courage!  But yeah you'll have to keep me posted on that, let me know if you ever land a side flip it was the one thing I was sure I could do but never actually fully attempted.  I'd always flail out after take off.  I landed on my head going for a back flip once too, that was awesome!

Yeah, we'll see about the whole eating thing, it's kind of strange I seem to be having a hard time eating as much now that I've been working out a little bit/drinking less over the last week.  Maybe I'll have to start smoking loads of weed to eat more and then become this massive stoned assassin who's always blundering up each contract "Ohhh!  He's the Target, I thought he was at Target!  I've been walking around the store for like an hour!"  "Mak-HAAAAAAL"  There's gotta be a sitcom there.  

Ha, anyways maybe I'll just have to get a bit more ripped before I start worrying about the size, if that works, what do I know?

Yeah if you're wanting to stay longer and budget is the only reason I can definitely help you out on cutting some costs.  Hell, I could probably get you onto that farm, you won't spend anything out there and it's a wicked place.  Are you thinking of hitting any of the neighboring countries like Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam?

Human-Dark Elf

haha yes to the sitcom. you gotta make that happen. but you know, after you start making yourself eat more, and once you find where to get lots of good calories [coconut milk, for example, is packed with calories and is easy to consume a lot of] it gets easier to eat more.

i'm thinking that the neighboring countries will have to wait for another trip. if i could be gone for longer, i would think about hitting those places up too. but as it is, i think i need at least a month to really see just Thailand. those one-week trips people take always sort of baffled me. it's just crazy to me that they'd spend so much for a ticket to this new place and then not even see a fraction of all that is has to offer! so anyway, long story short, no, i'm planning on spending all of my time just in Thailand. taking my time, getting to know each other, romancing that country.

level 4 elf ranger