Forums are back in action! ×

Life Long Motivation

I'm doing a thought experiment and would like some suggestions. If you have the time, here is what I've done so far:

(Imagine yourself five years from now)

1. Identify and write down exactly what you want:

I want to be a Marine

2. What is your day like?:

My day consists of exploring the world and finding good in place I've never expected to find it. In moments of doubt or uncertainty, I will create good when there is none.

3. What activities do you do?:

Anything that will increase my physical, mental, or spiritual prowess. I spend every day becoming one second, one pound, or one point better than the me that existed yesterday. I meditate daily and maintain strict daily routines in order to focus on the present and not be distracted by the future or past. I live only in the moment.

4. What relationships do you have?:

Any and all. I speak to strangers the same as I speak to my friends of 10+ years.

5. How do you make money?:

Through the generous taxpayers of the United States of America.

6. How do you feel?:

Invincible.

7. What are your hobbies?:

See #2.

8. What are your weaknesses?: 

After a lot of thought I would say that my weaknesses in the future would be that I would feel unstoppable and that coupled with my new found love of fighting, I could possibly get into some serious confrontations with less than reputable characters.

9. What keeps you motivated, moving?: 
What will keep me motivated is my fear of death, or more specifically, not having truly lived my life to the fullest extent of my potential. Knowing that no matter how many mountains I climb, obstacles that I demolish, friends I encounter, or loves that I have, there is always more to be explored and that to be bored is simply an extension of my character, tugging at my inner desire to know anything and everything there possibly is, was, or will be.

10. What is most important to you?:  
"A warrior fights for one reason alone: Love..." I find love at the corner stone of every action I take no matter if it is good for me or otherwise and feel that without love as my foundation for my actions, they become meaningless. Passion might be a stronger word. If I can make only one person feel the way about life that I do in my entire lifetime, then I will have lived an enjoyable one.

11. What scares you?:
What scares me the most is the thought of having to go to war. I am no coward but I am very afraid of losing people close to me. I couldn't imagine having my friends dying around me.

12. What keeps you up at night?:
What keeps me awake at night is the thought of my family having trouble coping with my career. I am very involved in my family and of my personal core values, they are number one above all else, even my own happiness. I would worry about them constantly and it would be a very intense struggle for me to accept being so far away from them.

What I need from you: Help me continue to build my idea of my ideal place in life five years from now, even if it's a small aspect like, what do I eat for example. Please don't use the example. All I need is something to help visualize in extreme detail my life five years from now as I want it to be. Thanks for experimenting with me.

What keeps you up at night? What do you do if you can't sleep?

How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror?

What's the last random act of kindness you performed? 

What scares you?

Is there anything you want to change about yourself, but don't think you'll be able to? (think you've pinned down the physical, but what about emotional / mental?)

If you didn't have 5 years, but one week left to live, what would you do with it? 

What sort of things do you do to purposefully increase your spiritual, mental and physical prowess, and to keep yourself confident without becoming arrogant?

What keeps you up at night? What do you do if you can't sleep?

How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror?

What's the last random act of kindness you performed? 

What scares you?

Is there anything you want to change about yourself, but don't think you'll be able to? (think you've pinned down the physical, but what about emotional / mental?)

If you didn't have 5 years, but one week left to live, what would you do with it? 

These are all very awesome questions. I'm going to work on answering them and edit my post as soon as I can. I want to make sure that my answers are well thought out though and not simply something I jotted down.

What sort of things do you do to purposefully increase your spiritual, mental and physical prowess, and to keep yourself confident without becoming arrogant?

Improving yourself and being confident =/= arrogance. The entire fact that you're trying to improve yourself basically makes arrogance impossible - after all, arrogance stems from the belief that you're superior to others, and admitting you're not the very best there is, and thus having to improve yourself, means that there is someone, or could be someone, who is better than you. Knowing that there is someone, or could be someone, who is better than you, is a great way to stay humble.

Of course, I do regretfully admit that there are always people who do not see it this way, which is a damn shame.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Improving yourself and being confident =/= arrogance. The entire fact that you're trying to improve yourself basically makes arrogance impossible - after all, arrogance stems from the belief that you're superior to others, and admitting you're not the very best there is, and thus having to improve yourself, means that there is someone, or could be someone, who is better than you. Knowing that there is someone, or could be someone, who is better than you, is a great way to stay humble.

Of course, I do regretfully admit that there are always people who do not see it this way, which is a damn shame.

That's a really awesome way of looking at it. I hadn't thought about improving myself as being the actual thing that keeps me from arrogance. Thanks for the input! :)