Forums are back in action! ×

[Georges] Accountability supports my goals.

Dec 16 (Tuesday)

Kettlebell class.

My self esteem is broken today.

Fucking mirrors.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Dec 17 (Wednesday) - Weights.  Felt good. :)

I failed a bit at mindful eating - grabbed the same size portions as Mr.Georges without thinking, and ate a little too much. :(

Must make sure brain is engaged at dinnertime.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.

December 18th (Thursday) - Rest Day.  Feeling the strain of being an introvert who never gets to be alone.

December 19th (Friday) - Weights, after a rough day at work.  Good, but I was a little rushed.  Didn't add squats, because my mind just wasn't focused enough.  Will review form stuff online, and add them Monday.  Weekend weather is looking good, so I'm hoping to get some walking in.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Dec 20th (Saturday): 1.5 mile walk

Musing over the phrase "other tasks as needed" and my day Friday, which was random to the point of being a bit ridiculous.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Sunday, Dec 21: short walk, maybe a mile (probably a smidge under).

Found out this morning that the gym got a squat rack!  It's like early Christmas, only better.

(Afternoon is probably going to go extra-slowly, though....)

Spoiler

-John Wooden

(Monday) Dec 22:

Afternoon did indeed drag along, especially since I ended up having to stay an extra hour. 

Workout was not all unicorns and rainbows.

Biceps were feeling week - actually did less than on last Friday.

Bench was awkward, had to re-start with just the bar again to get my back arched.  Then had to ask for advice because it didn't feel right.  Still not sure if I got it right in the end.

Usually, I'm really, really good at muscle isolation.  "Engage your lats," however, meant absolutely nothing to my brain.  I'm still not sure how it should feel.  Lats are not a muscle I have ever made a point of using/feeling before.  I think I'm angry at them, for being so mysterious.

Anyway, found out that my feet will reach the floor, but not flat.

Squat was also awkward.  The one part I really wanted an answer on was "is this where the bar should be?" but I never really felt like I knew the answer.

Thanks to NF & bodyweight work, I feel good about foot placement, knee tracking, back flat-osity, and getting as close to ATG as bodyfat will allow.

I just want to know that the bar is where it should be on my back, that my wrists, elbows, and shoulders are doing what they need to in order to be safe.

I guess I'll have to figure out form video stuff, which I had thought about but was putting off due to some severe body image issues.

All the other work went as expected.

Edit to Add:  Found out that Cardio Machines are expected at the gym by New Year.  I am almost as excited by that as the squat rack... I needs me some running.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Tues. Dec 23

Kettlebell class.  Feeling a bit tired.  Possibly because I worked hard and went up to the next weight kettlebell.  Probably exacerbated by not really eating properly.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

I know there's still a week left in 2014, but I keep thinking about goals & plans for 2015.

So, a look back at 2014:

Jan - April/May?

awful.  all of it.

May

started to get control back.

June

fought crappy lungs, heat exhaustion, and lingering depression to

get my training in for my July half marathon.  Around 20-25 pounds heavier than

fall 2013

July

taper was worse than usual, because I knew my training had been inadequate.

half marathon was AWFUL.  heat exhaustion.  vomited later that day.  I think I made my kidneys cry.

emotionally crushed by race photos that showed what 20-25 pounds heavier than last fall looks like.

didn't give up.  In fact, joined the July-August 6-week challenge.

August

gave up.  Anxiety.

September

Visited Colorado.  Remembered that life is good.

(Sometimes I just need some mountains to remind me.)

Crappy breathing (which started in July) did not improve.

October - November

Just couldn't fucking breathe.

December - "Getting Back To It Month"

Respawn day happened to be the day after I started working out again, so that was nifty.

Got 3 - 5 workouts per week in (so far, and I'll keep doing it even with holiday stuff).

Looking Forward

January - Form (and maybe Food)

Next month, I'm focusing on getting happy with my form.

Deadlift: maintain form and add some weight

Bench: get my feet sorted out.  get the feel for where my lats are.  keep my shoulders safe.  get comfortable with the arch in my back.

Squat: maintain all the good stuff going on with foot placement, knee tracking, and flat back.  Thanks, bodyweight squats!  Figure out where that bar goes.  keep my wrists safe and happy. Figure out where those elbows are really supposed to be.

Dumbbell stuff:  don't get sloppy.

Kettlebell stuff:  don't get sloppy, even with speedy stuff.  I'm not even sure how long the class goes... or what will be next.

Running:  see if I can use the new treadmills with proper form.  (Haven't been on one in years.)

If all that is going well, start in on the other lifts.

And maybe food: Still hovering at 50 pounds of fat to lose.  I've added activity as fast as I safely can, so I'm going to have to face and correct my eating, preferably without getting obsessed with it.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Dec 24: Strength work.  Because I could.

Bench press is still a disaster.

Dec 25: Rest day (visited the fam)

Spoiler

-John Wooden

December 26th (Friday):

I lifted things up and put them down.

I did not bench press.  I was going to, after watching a video that implied that I'd be fine if I took the bar out of the rack and then arched my back.  I don't know if that's actually safe, but while I'm working with just the bar, I'll give it a try.  But my hip freaked out on me when I got on the bench.  I kind of felt like a quitter, but it was a stabby pain, which feels like some kind of impingement, and in the past when I've just worked through it, it resulted in intermittent pain for months.  So I will try again Monday, when I'm less rushed, and if it still feels bad, I'll stretch a bit and see if that helps.

I have not done very well at eating well for the holidays, but I haven't missed any workouts.

2014 hasn't been a coiled spring (see Steve's blogpost for reference), but December 2014 has been a pretty sweet warmup for 2015!

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Dec. 27, Saturday: - Rest day.

Dec. 28, Sunday:

I decided that for now, Saturdays should become a day for core work & balance.

I decided that this morning, and then had a complete emotional collapse so that will happen today, for this weekend.

We do a bit of both in Kettlebell (Tuesday) class, so I've had a chance to see just how much I've lost ground on them.

But I'm getting better.

I don't think that a once a week class is the best way to improve, though, so I'll work on it on Saturdays.

And maybe I'll add Thursdays after a few weeks.

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Dec 29 (Mon):

Extra half hour at work dealing with tech support. >.<

Then I lifted things up and put them down.

I felt a little better than on Sunday, but my lifting wasn't that great.

Also, my eating has been kind of very awful.

I did get on the bench and got my feet on the floor, and things were still awkward, but felt safe.

I'll prolly put 5 or 10 lbs on the bar next time and see how that feels.

I'm pretty glad we have 2.5 lb plates.  I hear(read) that not everywhere does.

Still waiting to see if treadmills show up by New Year.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Dec 30 (Tuesday)

Kettlebell.  Still felt a bit less than 100%, more on the cardio-side than the muscle-side.

Cardio machines are supposed to get picked up on Thursday.  I offered to help unload them.

Halfway home from Kettlebell class, I remembered I wanted to get a picture of the bench press.  Oops.

Tomorrow, when I'm actually using it, I'll remember.

Didn't plan what to eat today, and it showed.  Apparently, I'm going to have to start thinking/planning food if I want to improve it.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

George's, could you tell me more about your KB class?

Before answering, I did a quick skim of the Kettlebell link in your sig, just for a frame of reference.

With that said, I'd describe the class as a cardio/aerobic class that uses KBs instead of tiny pink dumbbells.  :)

Everything in the class is based on higher reps with low weights, at a pretty quick pace.  I'm not sure there are any KBs over 10 lbs.

At this point in time, it makes sense in my schedule because I'm learning barbell stuff 3 days a week, and I really just need some (indoor) cardio to rebuild my aerobic conditioning.  In the future, I think I'd really enjoy doing heavier work with KBs, if they got higher weights in, but I doubt they will unless a lot of people want them.  The class is only one or two more weeks, but after that, I'll probably keep using the little KBs for balance and core work.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

I hope you get back to feeling 100% here soon.

Thanks :)  I felt pretty good today, just in time for one last good workout in 2014!

Cool, thanks. I was wondering how it worked with all of the other things you do.

I looked today, and there isn't anything over 10 lbs, but that works out well with the kind of class it is.  I'm a little sad, because it limits me from doing serious strength stuff with KBs, but since I'm just starting barbell stuff, it would be a while before I could devote any time to it.  Something for me to think about for the future though!

Spoiler

-John Wooden

For posterity:

Dec 31, 2014

(not in order)

Bicep Curls:

15 lb dumbbells

10, 9, 8

note: I'm not sure why I do these.  Probably 'cause everyone else is doin' it.

Tricep:

8 lb dumbbell

12, 12, 12

note: 10 lb dumbbell feels bad.  Maybe I should switch to pulley machine?

Dumbbell Row:

25 lb plate

10, 10, 10

note: stay at 25 lbs, but ask about how to increase by less than 10 lbs.

Dumbbell Fly:

10 lb dumbbells

10, 10, 10

note: stay at 10, but slow them down

OH Press:

15 lb dumbbells

5+5, 6+4, 5+5

note: stay at 15 lb, but switch to all 10 reps the same, alternate by session hands facing forward vs. inward

Deadlift:

115 lbs

5, 5, 5

note: increase weight

Back Extendy Thingie:

hands touching ears

10,10, 10

note: extend arms or grab a plate

Bench Press:

55 lbs

10, 10, 10

note: still a little weird.  felt very bicep-y.

Squat:

55 lbs

6, 6, 6

note: don't ever wear those pants to squat again until they fit.

Dead Hang:

3 times, count of 10

note: that last count was not seconds at all.  >.<

Balance Work:

Halos with 7lb KB on one foot, alternated sides, until feet fatigued.

Tried to make friends with my jump rope.  It still hates me.  Got to 15? jumps in a row, felt harder than sprinting.  Not enjoyable.  Should probably add into programming anyway.

Did a few jumps onto a aerobics step.  Maybe 6-8" high?  Not as scary as I expected.  Should add into programing.

As soon as I get my bench press form sorted, I'll be ready to start a beginners' program.  :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Another 'just for the record' post:

Jan 1 2015 weigh in: 175 lbs (50 over goal).

(It's a fact.  I'm trying to view it as such.)

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Friday, 2 January (1st workout of 2015)

A bit rushed today, but the gym will be open later next Friday, so I'm not going to let it bother me too much.

I skipped about half the stuff I've been doing, though.  I need to figure out which of those things are meaningful to my progress and cut the rest out.

(Skipped:  triceps, dumbbell row, dumbbell fly, back extension thingie)

Bench Press

(warmup) 5 reps @ 55lbs.

5 @ 65

5 @ 65

5 @65

Squat

(warmup) 5 @ 55

5 @ 65

5 @ 65

5 @ 65

Deadlift

5@ 115

5@125 (last one was crap)

5@125

5@125

Overhead Dumbbell Press

15 lbs dumbbells

10, 9, 7

Dumbbell Curls

15 lbs dumbbells

10, 9, 7

Yep.  that's it.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Sat. Jan 3 2015

Rest day, which gave me a chance to see that almost everything in my life that isn't working out is kinda crap right now.  :(

I forgot to use my LED light (to combat daylight shortage) and didn't take good care of my blood sugar, and I'm hoping that tomorrow when I take better care of myself, things will look better.

My work schedule changes starting Monday, I'm hoping it will not affect workouts, and maybe it will help with rest/sleep and managing my food.

I need to figure out a program for lifting.  My original plan was to have Starting Strength by now, but I can't afford it yet.

EDIT: I remembered that Amazon will let me pay the part I can't afford with my DiscoverCard points.  That plus the Christmas giftcard from my Uncle & Aunt mean that the book is ordered now, and that I have something positive to write :)

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Congrats on the consistent work you've been doing!

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Congrats on the consistent work you've been doing!

Thanks! :)  I'll be here instead of doing a 6-Week Challenge, but I'll let you know if I spy any dragons or dragon eggs!

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Sunday, 4 January 2015

Rest day (instead of the core/balance work that I've been meaning to start on the weekends).

I used my winter light this morning, and ate breakfast, and then ate lunch, and found that things were a lot better than yesterday.

Spent a good chunk of the day dealing with dishes and laundry and started cleaning the refrigerator and shoveled a little.

Got to have dinner with Mr.Georges and Netflix.

Not a super-exciting day, but a good day.

Tomorrow's Monday, and I get to try out the new work schedule.  Also, I weigh in and notice that I'm not losing any weight.  But new work schedule means new eating schedule, so it's a good time to rework what and how much I eat.

I'm not doing a Challenge thread, but I like to think about goals in about 6 week chunks, so I started thinking about what my goals would be if I were doing one.

- Weight.  I need to start losing some body fat. I'm tired of 0.0% in my progress bar.

- Learning more lifting.  I haven't even started looking at overhead press, or really, anything beyond bench, squat, and deadlift.  Also, there's a whole new vocabulary set.

- Add in my cardio.  Kettlebell is only 2 more classes, and it looks like it will be replaced with step aerobics.  Not sure yet if it will be more than once a week, but there's also treadmill and stationary bike options.

- Budgeting.  I have poverty fatigue.  I have debts again.  I have a crappy income (40% cut in hours from last year :/ )  But Mr.Georges may have a raise and/or increase in hours this month.  I just wrote down the approx. amount of debt (excluding vehicle loan payment) and a Gold/Silver/Bronze set of goal amounts for Feb 15.

So, I'll probably check back with those at the end of the challenge, but I'm really more focused on battlelogging on.  If actions are producing results I want, I'll see if the structure of a challenge helps or hurts.

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden