Forums are back in action! ×

Want to start DnD

The last time I played D&D was 20 years ago it was called AD&D 2nd edition.  I just looked on Wikipedia for a breakdown of all the editions since that time and I'm not sure what to make of the changes since I don't actually play the game.  What is it about the 4th edition that some of you don't like?

D&D was a lot of fun back in the day.

The complaint I heard most was that it was too much like an MMO. that everyone had some random special magical ability and the interactions were supposed to be more limited then normal D&D

I have heard not good things about it from a lot of people I play with, and also this thread didn't help my opinion of it thus far.  Though I am really interested in the OP's experience with it!  I've definitely seen some heated debates over it online, so I'm sure it does have it's positives so I'd love to hear someones first impression of it without being influenced by previously playing another version to compare it against.

That's actually kinda odd since everyone I've played with loved the system. Even one of the people in my game who was an avid 3.5 fan, who ran it exclusively, has become a huge fan of it since it fixed a few problems that people had with 3.5 and previous. 

from everything I read/heard, It kinda did. Like talking to the king, instead of the players just talking and then making proper checks, they had to roll something and often had set ups like "You're talking to the king, He will look favorably if you use charisma, but you will fail instantly if you use intimidate." And it was just too asinine for me. Also the whole special abilities thing was annoying, especially since even fighters, character whose who set up was being kickass with a specific set up, had a special ability that emulated magic.