Forums are back in action! ×

I hear that the first one is the hardest!

So I did my first pull-up today! And by that I mean a dead-hang, chin-above-the bar pull-up with my hands facing away from me. This has been something that I have wanted to do for a very long time and something I have been specifically training for since the beginning of the last six-week-challenge. I had hoped to achieve this goal during those six weeks but it was not to be. Despite that, I was not disheartened and I continued to do my back exercises (a combination of Inverted Rows/Australian pull-ups, negatives, flex-hangs and when I could talk my brother or father into spotting for me, assisted pull-ups) once the challenge was over.

I was seeing progress in terms of all those exercises but for some reason the pull-up itself remained ever elusive. Until today. At the beginning of my bodyweight workout, when I am fresh I always attempt a pull-up. Two workouts ago I got my nose up to the bar. Last workout I got my chin to the level of the bar, but not above it. So I knew I was getting close. And then today, I did it! I was so excited I ran all the way home from the playground where I work out, eager to tell someone. As I was walking down the driveway, my dad saw me through the kitchen window. He tells me that he saw me smiling to myself and commented on it to my mum, who replied "She must have managed to do a pull-up". How well they know me! 

I've been told that the first one is the hardest one and I certainly hope that is true. If I keep at it, I hope to make it to five sometime next year! 

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Nice work! It must have felt great to accomplish it!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Well done.  The first one feels bloody awesome .  I eventually was able to do 20 in one go hanging off a stairwell by my fingertips (I wasn't being exceptionally macho, I broke every damn door frame in the house doing pull ups ...).  The first one was still the best though :).  Depending on what else you're doing, I think 5 is completely attainable, particularly given your progress to date...

good luck

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Well done.  The first one feels bloody awesome .  I eventually was able to do 20 in one go hanging off a stairwell by my fingertips (I wasn't being exceptionally macho, I broke every damn door frame in the house doing pull ups ...).  The first one was still the best though :).  Depending on what else you're doing, I think 5 is completely attainable, particularly given your progress to date...

good luck

Thanks! 20 in one go sounds amazing...I would love to manage that someday but I think I'll focus on aiming for five for now. Baby steps!  I did three and a half pull-ups (my form was dodgy on the fourth one, hence the "half"!) and four chin-ups yesterday. I feel like they are definitely getting easier, and the difference in difficulty between chin-ups and pull-ups is evening out. .

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger