Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy and Physical My Whole Life

Greetings. James Here. I'm a 37 year old software architect and coder by day. For my whole life I have pursued both "nerdy" and "physical" things.

Nerdy :

• Given a Commodore 64 at age 8. This is one of the most significant events in my life.  I still remember my very first program :

10 A=A+1

20 PRINT A

30 GOTO 10

• In ninth or tenth grade I program my Casio FX7700G calculator to draw a Mandelbrot set. Disappointed when I show my math teacher and he doesn't get why this is so cool.

fx7700g.JPG

• Didn't even thing about going to college. Get deeply involved in the early days of computerized electronic stock trading. Beat the market using a new kind of trading algorithm which I developed and termed Liquidity Routing. Here is a little video showing it in action.  Get my business stolen from me by a group of powerful wall street predators.
  • Nowadays I work designing and building IP video surveillance software.

Physical: 

• Lifelong serious snowboarder. Last year became an assistant coach of a nationally competitive snowboard racing team. 

8ddcbd9a9e6a11e2805c22000a9e0290_7.jpg

• Discovered resistance training when I was about 13. Read all I could find on the subject (no internet yet) and really laid hold of Mike Mentzer's HIT philosophy. Since, then I have been looking for ways to improve upon and refine these core concepts.
  • Disappointed with the modern trends in competitive bodybuilding. I never want to pursue a physical build which would render me less capable on a snowboard. There is no way that Phil Heath is going to spin a smooth 360 tail-grab over a 40 foot table!
  • I'd like to be built like  Mike O'Hearn when I reach his age. He's 44 and looks great. He lifts like a powerlifter and does serious martial arts several times a week. Here is a bodybuilder that could get on a snowboard with no problem.

moh-01.jpg

• Here is an instagram selfie taken about 6 months ago. I've made some significant progress since then but haven't taken any more pictures yet.

1c8d6e2aaead11e2b15c22000a9e06ef_7.jpg

• More recently I've been spending as much time outdoors as I possibly can. I'm currently fully addicted to completing the most challenging day hikes I can find, with friends when possible, but also solo.  Over the past several weeks I've completed several of the most difficult Catskill Mountain Hikes. I find this sort of exercise to be a very excellent complement to my time in the gym.

I have a lot of ideas about resistance training and physical fitness in general. If I could make a living from it, I'd love to be a personal trainer, but I'm not seeing that as a likely scenario. This is why I am so happy to have found this community. I see more fruitful interaction here than on any of the other mainstream boards. I'm looking forward to sharing what I have learned over the years and in learning from all of you!

- James