Forums are back in action! ×

Starting over is a lot easier said then done.

Hello all,

the name's PsychoMonkey and I'm ready to push myself myself like a beast on this second chance at life.

Now every person has an origin story and here's mine  :ph34r: 

In 2008, I was 18 and for someone who was living on their own, I was living the LIFE. I was working two jobs which meant I had alot of money, was top of my class and headed towards the university of my dreams, in love with an amazing girl who cared like hell for me, was serving as a reservist with the 4th Parachute Regiment with a very bright military career ahead of me, building guitars and was stronger than an ox. I was pushing my potential everyday and I was high on life.

then in 2010, I met Tanvir and I embarked on my long road to ruin. I'll be honest, I'd always been a very clean-cut kind of guy, barely smoked, never drank, never did any drugs but I'd always been curious about these things. When I started hanging out with Tanvir, my curiosity got the better of me and I got involved in alot of stuff. This friend of mine was an okay guy but wanted to live the "gangsta" life and he was my college's dealer. 

From 2010 till 2012, I drank till I nearly killed myself, did enough drugs to shatter myself mentally and emotionally, was smoking a about 3 packs a day and while under the influence, I was abused and had both hands broken.

In August 2012, in a moment of sobriety, I was able to contact my dad and tell him I was in over my head and I needed help. He came to Newcastle and was able to take me home.

When I went back home, the first thing my dad did was to get me checked over. I stand at 6 foot 3 and weighed in at about 60kg at the time. I was malnourished and alot of my inside were just giving up on me.

It's been a year now and I've recovered alot, still have a long way to go but I'm on my way to complete recovery.

"Start a new campaign" moment for me right now and I plan on pulling it off on a legendary difficulty  :pirate:

Hey man, welcome aboard!!

That’s a scary and rough road you went down there...I’ve got a few friends and family members that have gone down that road, some are stuck there and don’t want to give it up, it’s sad to see that happen, and others trying to build themselves up again, it isn’t easy at all. You seem to be doing great though, keep motivated, keep your eye on the prize, and push yourself harder than ever....everyone is here to give you support and help you along the way !

Wow, sounds like you've had quite the epic journey already! But I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, and definitely glad to hear you're ready for your new campaign!

What sort of goals are you thinking of? :) Or is it more of a general road to recovery?

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Hey man, welcome aboard!!

That’s a scary and rough road you went down there...I’ve got a few friends and family members that have gone down that road, some are stuck there and don’t want to give it up, it’s sad to see that happen, and others trying to build themselves up again, it isn’t easy at all. You seem to be doing great though, keep motivated, keep your eye on the prize, and push yourself harder than ever....everyone is here to give you support and help you along the way !

Thank you!

Addiction is a hard thing and to be completely honest, digging out of that hole maybe one of the most difficult things a person can face in their lifetime. I was lucky that I knew my dad would come for me and I'd have a very strong support structure when I would go back home, while others people I know lacked that. 

Wow, sounds like you've had quite the epic journey already! But I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, and definitely glad to hear you're ready for your new campaign!

What sort of goals are you thinking of? :) Or is it more of a general road to recovery?

My therapists are advising me to get into strength training, would release the right sort of chemicals in my body. That's my primary goal but my personal goals are to regain the level of dexterity i previously had (I used to be a musician) and be able to run 10k's once more

Sounds good to me! :)

And I'm sure you'll get back there in no time, how's your running at the moment?

There's a great beginners programme called Couch to 5k which is a 9 week programme designed to get total running beginners up to a half an hour/five kilometer run. But you can always jump in at one of the middle weeks too, there's loads of free podcasts for it.

And then after that there's also a programme called Bridge to 10k which builds off the C25k to build your running up to an hour/10 kilometers so those could be good to look at :)

Level 1

High Score:

I am rooting for your continued success!

Thank you :)

Sounds good to me! :)

And I'm sure you'll get back there in no time, how's your running at the moment?

There's a great beginners programme called Couch to 5k which is a 9 week programme designed to get total running beginners up to a half an hour/five kilometer run. But you can always jump in at one of the middle weeks too, there's loads of free podcasts for it.

And then after that there's also a programme called Bridge to 10k which builds off the C25k to build your running up to an hour/10 kilometers so those could be good to look at :)

It's quite bad at the moment, I've only just got my weight sorted out so I'm a complete newbie, once more, when it comes to running or endurance sports

Well in that case my good sir may I suggest the Couch to 5k programme?

I've just copied the first three weeks of it from the NHS website, but you can find loads of free podcasts and apps that you can use too :)

I believe that it suggests that you do 3 runs a week on this programme

Week one

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Week two

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 90 seconds of running with 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Week three

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then two repetitions of 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking.

Level 1

High Score:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm glad to read your thread and sorry to hear how challenging things have been for you. That's a beautiful photo of the mountains! 

I'm starting over too - I think we're even about the same age - and it's nice to read something from someone also trying to rebuild their life. I wish you all the best and I hope you'll keep us posted on how things are going. 

Congratulations on your first year of sobriety. That is such a big deal! I've been clean and sober for five years in December, and it's been absolutely amazing to see the difference between drunk me and current me. I think getting clean is the hardest thing ever - remember that you did that, and you can do anything. Good luck on your new goals.

Wood Elf Assassin

-------------------------------------

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

LVL 2 | STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

"It goes, boys."  - Lynn Hill