Forums are back in action! ×

Dancing, anyone?

Anyone else here dance for cardio? I'm doing bellydancing, some Kpop choreography and, most recently, free step.

Free step is incredibly challenging. Once you learn a few basic steps and get your speed up it's a hard cardio workout. I'm keeping it simple until I get the hang of it; I don't want to break my legs!

Here's a beginner's tutorial for anyone interested. Trust me, it'll take a while just to get the basic steps down, but even when you don't know what the heck you're doing, it's still a good workout.

http://youtu.be/OkWmmFsx4Rg

And here's what it may look like after lots (LOTS!) of practice:

http://youtu.be/veZgdjJMHV4

Walking, running, dancing, squatting. 

If you try to learn free step you may change your mind about the cardio bit! :playful: Anyway, I much prefer it to running, which is also getting hazardous now, with slippery leaves on top of mud and rocks.  I just wish I had something to practice for. :) Maybe I can find some clubs later this fall.

Lol I'm not saying it's not cardio. But i don't mentally count it as cardio. I do a lot of drilling and then dancing. So I count it but I never consider it pure cardio. Some it's way more cardio based for sure.

I spend about 7-10 hrs dancing and drilling a week so I definitely count it. I do stair master for cardio or running. Dancing is dance because I'm a dancer. I would do it no matter what.

Lol I'm not saying it's not cardio. But i don't mentally count it as cardio. I do a lot of drilling and then dancing. So I count it but I never consider it pure cardio. Some it's way more cardio based for sure.

I spend about 7-10 hrs dancing and drilling a week so I definitely count it. I do stair master for cardio or running. Dancing is dance because I'm a dancer. I would do it no matter what.

Oh, I do envy you! I wish I'd had the talent and opportunity to be a dancer for real. Though it's never really too late I guess. My sister took up poledancing last year and is already performing and competing. :)

Oh, I do envy you! I wish I'd had the talent and opportunity to be a dancer for real. Though it's never really too late I guess. My sister took up poledancing last year and is already performing and competing. :)

most professional bellydancers are in their late 20's into 30's Like the top top of their game ones.

There are a few younger- but most everyone I know who is really REALLY successful- is in their late 20's 30's. :D

There is always time to do it if you are willing to dedicate yourself to it

most professional bellydancers are in their late 20's into 30's Like the top top of their game ones.

There are a few younger- but most everyone I know who is really REALLY successful- is in their late 20's 30's. :D

There is always time to do it if you are willing to dedicate yourself to it

I didn't know that! I think it's unlikely I will be able to go pro though, too much life stuff, but at least it kind of keeps the dream alive. :)

It's a lot of work.  we get a lot of "oh I took some bellydance classes before!!!"  and then buy a chintzy cheap costume and think it's "pro".  It's really insulting.  It's hard work- and most people unless they are 100% dedicated to it should be studying for at least 2-3 years before even considering becoming a professional.    And pro costume's are hundreds of dollars- so it's not hard to tell the difference between a pro and a none pro when they are compared side by side- but if you don't know what you are looking at- it all "looks" good.  So it gets a bad rap.

Dance because you love to dance and see where it takes you. :D

Yes, like where this is going. Love dancing.

Not for cardio especially, but for neuromuscular development. Complex motor skills.

Used to record a move, send it to each other by mail, copy the move and add to it.

Starting easy and working our way up..

It's done amazing things for my balance and motor control. 

Awesome thread, angelic

I'm also a bellydancer. ATS, tribal, tribal fusion. I've been dancing six years, but I have no interest in going pro. I just enjoy dancing.

I've been grounded for about five months now from a broken foot (didn't break it dancing), so I've been trying to build back up to a level where I can take classes again. My troupe is supposed perform at East Coast TribalCon, but I think I'm going to sit that out. I didn't know breaking your foot could take so long to heal.

• Like 1

Hobbit Bard

LEVEL 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

“There's always room for a story that can transport people to another place.†-JK Rowling

An Epic Journey Begins With One Step

Find me on HabitRPG!

I personally find dancing more fun if you're doing it with a partner.  And if you're both good, it can be quite a workout.  Especially complicated salsas and tangos.

Level 2 Human Thief (Scout/ Assassin Hybrid)

STR- 4.6 DEX- 2.8 STA- 2.6 CON- 6 WIS- 5.25 CHA- 4.8

“This is a neat idea.  Go for it.  Why wait for someone else to do it?  You got this, man!â€

Current Challenge

Ah, I love dancing. :')

I'd say ballet is a fantastic strength training exercise because you have to actively squeeze every muscle in your body to maintain proper form, releves on releves destroy your calves (in the good way), and it takes a surprising amount of force to lift your leg over 90 degrees and hold it there. When it comes time to do jumps or across-the-floor combinations, that's when the cardio aspect kicks in. All of the benefits!

I love dancing too, just mostly line dances and western/swing dancing with a little ballroom dancing. As far as it goes, though, I do remember a sheet out of a nutrition book that listed dancing as burning like the second or third highest amount of calories per hour. Of course I'm sure it varies depending on what kind of dancing you're doing, I'm pretty certain it can qualify as cardio.