Forums are back in action! ×

Need advice: Getting a used truck for under $2,500

Okay so I'm looking at selling my car (2007 Ford Focus ZX3), paying off my loan ($5k) and using the leftover to buy a used truck usable for my long-term travel goals.

Right now I've found this deal, talking to the owner and will check it out tomorrow:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2507538400.html

It's a '92 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 Automatic 3.9L v6 with only 76k miles on it. I looked up reviews on this car and there are nothing but praises and awesomeness.

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS. I have the next few months to facilitate this change and would love some advice.

My preferred budget is really more $1,500-$2,000 but I may be able to scrape some extra dollars together if needed.

Thoughts? Advice? Trucks I should NOT get? Trucks I should look for?

Discuss.

Anxious, but ambitious! Current challenge: Undermining the Conspiracy

Find me on Twitter or maybe Instagram

Trading in a 2007 for a 1992 while going on long road trips seems shaky and like a bad decision. There are always exceptions, but if you don't know what to look for I would highly suggest taking a mechanic friend or even driving the car/truck to a mechanic before making any decisions. When automobiles start falling apart, usually it isn't cheap.

Time to climb.

I definitely understand the trading years down part, but my car isn't going to be able to handle the load we'd have with a pop-up trailer and such. If I had more money to put into a truck I'd definitely be looking newer but I don't have that luxury.

Since I have to be compromising I want to make sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck which is why I'm here asking for advice!

I'm going to try and find someone who knows cars that can go with me, but I don't know many mechanically minded people.

How big of a pop-up trailer? Generally trucks (especially older models) aren't really known for their comfort nor for their gas mileage capabilities. If you can get around using a truck and use something else (station wagon?) that might be better overall. Of course, you will never get "optimum" travel without being super rich so there will be sacrifices. Just make sure you know which sacrifices you are willing to take.

Time to climb.

Look for oil leaks around the valve gaskets and under the vehicle. Check the fluid levels (oil, tranny) if its 4x4 has the owner maintained the differential oil? Listen to the engine.. Hear any knocks or pings? How does it shift? Fluid and smooth or clunky? 76k really is not a lot of miles. I drive a 1997 Land Rover Discovery with 216k :-) I take good care of her and imagine I'll hit 300k. Taking the truck to a mechanic to look over is a good idea.

The pop-up trailer is undecided, so I can't be sure how much it will weigh, I just know for sure my car can only do 1,000lbs max and that's with absolutely nothing else in the car.

A station wagon MIGHT work, however it wouldn't be as easy to pack things into I think. We'd have more flexibility in a truck that way.

Most of our time will be spent couch surfing or camping in the pop-up tent. We'll probably only travel about 500 miles every month, so I'm less concerned about the comfort of the vehicle itself, I'm more interested in its capabilities and usefulness.

I guess here is where I'm trying to learn what the sacrifices will be!

Here's where I'm at so far on trucks (in general, not specifically compared to my current car):

Truck Cons

• Uncomfortable
  • Not friendly mpg

Truck Pros

• Very versatile in usefulness
  • Can tow just about anything we want
  • Durable for wherever we go
  • Convenient storage space

Look for oil leaks around the valve gaskets and under the vehicle. Check the fluid levels (oil, tranny) if its 4x4 has the owner maintained the differential oil? Listen to the engine.. Hear any knocks or pings? How does it shift? Fluid and smooth or clunky? 76k really is not a lot of miles. I drive a 1997 Land Rover Discovery with 216k :-) I take good care of her and imagine I'll hit 300k. Taking the truck to a mechanic to look over is a good idea.

Great tips! I'll be referencing this to ask questions tomorrow for sure. I definitely was thinking about making sure it gets checked out by a mechanic before buying to make sure there's nothing stupid I missed.

Also check the fan belt for cracks.

As for car types, I have a soft spot for old Jeep Cherokee Sports. The early to mid 90's models should run in your budget for a 4x4. It is a bit more comfortable than a truck and allows a spare driver to nap in the back if needed.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm compiling a reference list for checking out the truck:

• Check for leaks under and around the car
  • Check fluid levels
  • Has the owner maintained differential oil
  • Listen to engine for strange noises
  • Test drive: is shifting smooth?
  • Check for cracks in fan belt
  • Does all the tire wear match
  • Check for chipped glass
  • Check for rust, dents, dings
  • Test drive: is the steering loose?
  • Test drive: how do the brakes feel?
  • See if the truck already has a hitch (if so ask about previous towing, does it have electrical hookups lights/brakes)

Like the others have said it'd definitely be a good idea to take someone with some experience of cars/trucks with you to look it over. Personally I like to have my Granddad come with me if I'm looking at a car, he's spent a good deal of his life having to fix his own cars so knows what to look for. Also I wouldn't rely too much on reviews that people have given the truck, they may be able to tell you what to expect from it when it's new but with used cars/trucks you've really got to look at each one as an individual even if they're the same make, model, year and whatever else.