Forums are back in action! ×

Rooks - Tracking the Daily Grind...

you know stuff is serious when the you have the full sweats on, the hood is up and the metal is playing.

nice work, 350 is a serious squat, you're on your way to 2XBW if you keep after it. Doubly nice work on the heavy pull.

Haha... that's most workouts for me.  It's a remnant from wrestling.  I like working out in full sweats.  Usually get through 3 or 4 working sets before the sweatshirt comes off.  And I mean the metal is just a given.  Basically all I listen to these days. 

**WARNING:  This video contains a slightly overweight male busting his ass and grunting like a gorilla in heat.  Yes... watching it now, it seems so exaggerated, but in the moment, I can't help it.  It feels right.  Just giving primal yells.  Sorry... apparently, it's what I do.  So yeah...  you've been warned.  Turn down your speakers. 

2/7/2015

Total time: 90 Minutes

Morning weigh-in:  217.6lbs (98.70kg)

Squat
  • 315lbs (142.88kg)
  • 335lbs (151.95kg)
  • 350lbs (158.76kg, PR)

Notes:  Went 3 for 3 for the first time ever I think on Squats.  Knew I had 315 in the bag as I did 10 sets of triples at 295 the last time I really squatted heavy.  Tried the 2nd attempt without my jogging pants, but my breaks were long enough, I felt like I was getting cold.  Hence I just kept the pants on the rest of the way.  Also, no idea what was going on with the light on the 2nd rep.  Felt great to nail the 350.  Clearly something is going on with my right side though as the weight dropped on both the 2nd and 3rd attempt.  Not sure if the I'm just off centered or what.  

Bench

• 240lbs (108.86kg)
  • 250lbs (113.40kg, PR)
  • 260lbs (117.93kg)

Notes:  Went 2 of 3 here.  240 and 250 felt really good.  No struggles at all and didn't really expect any given I did a 265 TNG Bench not 2 weeks ago.  Really happy here.  Thought I had 260 in me, but it just wasn't meant to be.  Still not sad given I crushed my recent marks here.  Felt like my pauses were maybe a bit short, but again, maybe you more experienced people can speak up.  Going to keep hitting this hard in hopes of improving and maybe getting 1.25x Bench soon.

Deadlift

• 395lbs (179.17kg)
  • 405lbs (183.71kg)
  • 442.5lbs (200.71kg, HUGE PR!)

Notes:  Went 3 for 3 here.  Went really conservative on my second attempt as I needed 400 to hit the 1k pound club.  Hit it pretty easily at 405 and then just threw caution to the wind.  I literally loaded every plate I had in my basement onto the barbell.  And it went up.  So so pumped.  Good excuse to tell the wife we need more weight.   :)  I was so so pumped.  

Fun fact... you can hear my wife laugh about 90% of the way through the lift cause she thought I had no chance at it.  Then when the weight drops, you get to hear my kiddo start crying.  Apparently, weight dropping scares her.   :)

Total:  1042.5lbs (472.87kg)

Pumped that I finally broke the 1k barrier... and not only that but got a 200kg DL out of nowhere.  Previous PR was 183.71kg (or 405lbs), which also didn't even budge during the last NF Virtual Meet.  Improvements all around even if I was up nearly 8kg from my last weigh-in.  I'll gladly take it with this kind of improvement.  

Damn son, you are getting strong.  Very well done.

Great shit.  Obviously in awe of the 40lb PR in the pulls but that bench...so, so jealous.

I need your daughter to train me in my stone work.  Lol strongwoman 2033!

So... still alive.  Just been taking it easy since last Saturday's simulated meet.  Was pretty wrecked for 2 days afterwards, but feeling good now.  Will probably give Olympic lifts a go here either Monday or Tuesday.  Just to see what I can do (and how terrible my form can be). 

Also, had the yesterday and today off work.  Been nice to have the house to myself.  It's been cold here in Minnesota, but still went and changed the oil (and some other maintenance) on the car yesterday, and today been working on a wooden bench I've been making, as well as trying to assemble an axle for my truck.  Overall, been a nice little mantastic vacation for me.  Wrenching on cars is a pain sometimes with a lot of damage on your knuckles, but for some stupid reason, I find it refreshing.  Maybe it's something about getting my hands dirty, learning something new, and accomplishing something not associated with 1s and 0s (i.e. computer stuff).  I love it. 

Anyway... also, got a new haircut on Wednesday.  I like to call it my transition from dirty hobo (photo taken at the end of January with my baby girl, isn't she cute?) to pseudo hipster (taken today, and yes I opened a beer before lunch, it's my day off). 

2lj1aok.jpg

Finally, no idea who Rich Piana is, but I stumbled upon this video today.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  Nothing new in it, but a good message to hear.

Haha, I know nothing of the DIY life.  Its actually quite a shame.  But I know the dirty hobo life very well.  The old lady has mastered "hobo chic" and sadly I know the hipster life all too well also.  Sir, please never feel the need to justify cracking a beer before lunch!  I took off yesterday to have a guys day with the kid and once I put him down for nap, I poured myself a cold one and buried my face into a Chipotle burrito bowl.

And I should have followed your cue and rested this week after the 2V2L, tried doing 90% squats today and it was awful.

Rooks, have you ever done any local meets?

Local meets as in local meet-ups with fellow members of the Rebellion?  Or local meets as in Powerlifting / Strongman meets?

Answer to #1 is 1.  I met Jitters, Ceasefire (and hubby), and therealkat down at the Happy Gnome one night a long while ago. 

Answer to #2 is no.  Never felt I was strong enough to even consider it and really wasn't until honestly this last Virtual meet we had.  After actually going through numbers, I'm realizing that my 2x pull is actually a pretty big achievement.  I'd really like to get my squat closer to 2x before doing a meet though (although it might be closer then I think given I did 350 pretty easily watching the video).  I think I've been psyching myself out on my Squats.  Getting under that bar with that much weight really is a mental exercise.  Also, I've been debating seriously about investing in a coach to see if I really have any potential.  Although that means a pretty big financial investment.

Getting under that bar with that much weight really is a mental exercise.

...And then walking it out and completing a squat with something that already feels heavy in your head.  You learn to forget the heavy link.

The sooner you get a local meet under your belt the less pressure you'll feel when you next do one.  You might also pick up some tips from other lifters while you're there.

That's one patient cat you've got.

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

...And then walking it out and completing a squat with something that already feels heavy in your head.  You learn to forget the heavy link.

The sooner you get a local meet under your belt the less pressure you'll feel when you next do one.  You might also pick up some tips from other lifters while you're there.

Or you could say "fuck powerlifting" and hop on the strongman bandwagon with Matty and I. Picking up rocks is cool.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Que?  Was my cat in one of my videos on accident?

Or you could say "fuck powerlifting" and hop on the strongman bandwagon with Matty and I. Picking up rocks is cool.

See.  I feel like I would have to actually "choose" powerlifting to jump off the bandwagon.  Right now I just do those lifts cause it's good basic training.  I still want to start doing some Oly stuff which I'm going to incorporate into my next few rounds of 5/3/1.  But maybe I'll work some strongman stuff in too.  I'm not really specialized in anything so why not have some fun...

But wait... isn't that the mantra of Crossfit?  Mother... of... God....

Que?  Was my cat in one of my videos on accident?

See.  I feel like I would have to actually "choose" powerlifting to jump off the bandwagon.  Right now I just do those lifts cause it's good basic training.  I still want to start doing some Oly stuff which I'm going to incorporate into my next few rounds of 5/3/1.  But maybe I'll work some strongman stuff in too.  I'm not really specialized in anything so why not have some fun...

But wait... isn't that the mantra of Crossfit?  Mother... of... God....

It's in the one with your wee girl practicing her atlas stones.  Just sitting within baby reach, chillin, while toys are being dropped around it.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

don't fall for this false dichotomy. Unless you have access to the implements day in and day out, strongman training looks a lot like powerlifting.

have fun. lift heavy things. meet people.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

It's in the one with your wee girl practicing her atlas stones.  Just sitting within baby reach, chillin, while toys are being dropped around it.

Ahh... yes.  The cat is very tame around the baby girl.  I seem to think she's just lazy, but I think she has a soft spot for the kiddo and just refuses to admit it.  :)

Ahh... yes.  The cat is very tame around the baby girl.  I seem to think she's just lazy, but I think she has a soft spot for the kiddo and just refuses to admit it.  :)

We had a cat like that when I was growing up.  He followed me about all the time as a toddler and was compliant in my kitty carrying activities.

"Gentle means tired."

2/16/2015

Total time:  60 Minutes

Notes:  Really just played around with Snatches and Cleans today.  I can't really do Jerks at all in my basement as my ceiling is too low.  At Snatch grip, I seem to be ok if I stick with only 25s on the Barbell.  That said, these actually felt pretty solid.  I was surprised how easy they felt.  The only time things felt really strange was when I had tried a Clean at 185 which is the heaviest I've ever attempted.  I didn't get far enough under it and definitely muscled it up so to speak.  

Going to keep playing around with these and start working in more Overhead work as well as Squat Jerks and Snatches into my programming.  Going to be fun going forward.  :)

1)  That music was unbearable haha.

2)  Don't you hate the bar trying to escape every time you put it down?

3)  I have the same low ceiling problems.  That's why I always have 35's on the bar, it makes changing plates more efficient because if I have 45's on I'll hit the celing.

4)  What's with the little pause thing when you start, are you intentionally doing a pause or are you psyching yourself up?

5)  I really need to work on these too, I don't have good cleaning form and I know I don't get deep enough under the bar most of the time.

Not really constructive criticism or anything, just typing thoughts as I watched your video.  :playful:

I'm sure you've already looked at these, but watch again? Lol

This is 1 of 3 videos, that really helped me with the snatch.  Rip also had a really informative snatch video as well.

1)  That music was unbearable haha.

2)  Don't you hate the bar trying to escape every time you put it down?

3)  I have the same low ceiling problems.  That's why I always have 35's on the bar, it makes changing plates more efficient because if I have 45's on I'll hit the celing.

4)  What's with the little pause thing when you start, are you intentionally doing a pause or are you psyching yourself up?

5)  I really need to work on these too, I don't have good cleaning form and I know I don't get deep enough under the bar most of the time.

Not really constructive criticism or anything, just typing thoughts as I watched your video.  :playful:

Not a big country fan?  :)  The pause thing was just me experiementing.  Like I said, this is the first time I've ever really attempted Snatches and maybe the 3rd or 4th time with Cleans.  I know you are supposed to be a bit more over the bar with Oly lifts, so I was just making sure it felt different then my deadlift pull. 

I'm sure you've already looked at these, but watch again? Lol

This is 1 of 3 videos, that really helped me with the snatch.  Rip also had a really informative snatch video as well.

Been awhile since I watched them, and I'll give them a watch again.  I always have trouble figuring out the difference between my form and the videos though.  Definitely don't have the eye of a coach yet.

Are there bumper plates in your future?

Indeed there are.  Although they won't be able to be used in the basement (same reason why I can't using 45s on any OH stuff right now).  But yes... it'll help with the Cleans as I won't have to worry about not dropping them on the floor.