Forums are back in action! ×

New computer/considering building a desktop

My laptop is slowly on it's way out, it still works but it is beginning to have a habit of resetting it's self not long after turning it on. So I thought I would start to work out what kind of laptop or desktop I wanted and have decided to go with something that is more aimed at gaming as that is what I use my laptop most for. I am leaning towards a desktop as it seems like you tend to get more for less when compared to a laptop and now that I have finished school and have a ipad which I use to watch youtube videos or browse I am using my laptop less for things other than gaming.

Is it worth looking into building a desktop? How easy is it for someone who has who has never built a computer before, and knows next to nothing about doing so? What sites would you recommend to someone who wants to know more? Where do you even buy parts for a desktop?

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I can help you from A-Z on this, I'm a sponsored PC builder ;)

You got the right guy to fall on your thread!

Things you need to know about a desktop.

You'll need a mouse, keyboard, speakers/headset, possibly bigger desk, monitor, etc...

The build you will be making will all depend on your budget, what games you plan to play, etc.

With that being said, you can get a better idea where you're going budget wise and let me know where you're from too. I can help you via PM with discussion and parts picking with the why I'm picking those parts and etc.

There's an overwhelming amount of information available online too, so be careful.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

I can help you from A-Z on this, I'm a sponsored PC builder ;)

You got the right guy to fall on your thread!

Things you need to know about a desktop.

You'll need a mouse, keyboard, speakers/headset, possibly bigger desk, monitor, etc...

The build you will be making will all depend on your budget, what games you plan to play, etc.

With that being said, you can get a better idea where you're going budget wise and let me know where you're from too. I can help you via PM with discussion and parts picking with the why I'm picking those parts and etc.

There's an overwhelming amount of information available online too, so be careful.

Thanks, I don't even know where to start, I will have to come up with a list of questions (I may end up asking a lot of questions by the time we're done)

I'm just about to start to upgrade my old pc to make it more of a photo editing computer; it's going to be fun

I like these guys and they are some good tips in this video; Tested

Yay another PC builder! I have added the video to my watch later list I case I don't get to watch it all or if I want to go back and rewatch parts,

These days you probably won't save yourself all that much building it yourself. It isn't that hard,the motherboards and other components are pretty standard, places like newegg and tiger electronics sell the whole thing. True gaming pc's are pretty expensive, they overclock the CPU's,usually at 1.5 to 2 times the rated speed (basically, places buy standard intel core I5 and I7 chips and run them at high speeds, finding the ones that can take it), they water cool them sometimes, etc.I have a Dell desktop I bought last year that is near gaming speeds. 

Usually the big things are a motherboard that supports a lot of fast memory (16 gig, running at fast clock speed), a fast processor (core I7 quad core. 2.4 ghz with turbo mode or equivalent), I would put an SSD drive in it (256gig) plus a second hard drive  (2TB), and most importantly, a graphics card with at least 2 gig of memory, they are coming in with 4 last I checked. 

You could probably put a decent machine together for less than 1000, highest cost is going to be the graphics card and the cpu, rest is all standard (SSD drives have come way down), plus you need to find a copy of windows as well. 

Sometimes dealnews has listings for great prices for components, and the computer shows (as few of those that are left) often have deals, too.You might also find a built system on sale on dealnews for less than it would cost you.

I recently built a great system for around $880 including my mechanical keyboard and steelseries mouse. I'm sure Duality will cover everything for you as far as what you can sacrifice (In my case memory quality, case, and I went with an cheap HDD) but just know that I had little to no experience and I built my PC almost by myself. I was pretty scared I was going to mess up something with the cpu aftermarket cooler, or apply the wrong amount of thermal paste etc.

I did have the help of a gamer friend who built many PCs and just communicated on Vent with him if I had any questions. But all of the physical things I did alone. I can tell you that it is very rewarding to fire up your first game and see it run great!

Dragonborn Warrior Lvl 0 STR: 0 DEX: 0 STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Starting my first 6 week challenge on 11/11/13

Let me know if you want to buddy up!

22 Year-Old Former Collegiate Football Olineman

Goals: Body Fat Loss, and Strength Gain

Staring weight 11/5/13: 305

"Don’t nobody want to lift no heavy-ass weights.... I do it though!†-- Ronnie Coleman

"I do many, many things. I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist, a theoretical philosopher, but,

above all, I am a man. A hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you." -- Lancaster Dodd, The Master

CHALLENGE NUMBER ONE

The best feeling is when you're done assembling for the first time, press that power button and everything turns on. 

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Depends if there are parts dealers in Australia. There must be some.

I think one of the things I am worried most about building a computer is that even if there are part dealers I would have to get it sent to me as I don't live in the most populated area (the closest town is about 700 people and the closest place with more than 1000 people in it is 30 minutes drive away) and I'm worried that parts might go missing or damaged and it ends up costing more

I'm lucky and have a boyfriend who knows a decent amount about building computers, and a roommate who's been doing it for a living for years, and has now started an independent business.

I know a bit, but not enough (or I'm selling myself short).

But, having only ever really used a desktop for gaming, but have used a laptop temporarily while in college...

Desktops FTW.

Building your own tends to be way cheaper than buying sub-par pre-built PCs, too.

I want to get a few new parts just for vanity's sake (and my monitor of 8 years has developed a voice it shouldn't have).

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens