Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

Good lookin deer. Silly car though. Flex plates are a lot of fun to replace too! (not so much)

Towards the end, the car was making this horrendous noise. My dad kills it and coasts for, no joke, about two miles up and down these hills on the shoulder. I looked over at him and said something like "who put a beer can in the blender?"

We were cracking up for a while after the damn thing came to a stop.

• Like 1

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

OMFG Black Friday sales + AR-15 supply glut = extreme willpower exercise... Seriously came close to a few deals, but weathered the storm.

Anybody find anything nice for their safe last week?

• Like 1

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

OMFG Black Friday sales + AR-15 supply glut = extreme willpower exercise... Seriously came close to a few deals, but weathered the storm.

I didn't, but a guy I work with grabbed a shotgun.  Don't remember the brand, honestly, but I know it normally retailed for over $600, and he got it for right at $300.  It's probably good that I didn't see that deal.  Not sure I'd have been able to help myself.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So on a whim I picked up one of these $99 (shipped) specials for a "Project Grade" M44 from AIM Surplus.

Ended up getting a 1946 Izhevsk M44, all numbers are matching.  Missing the cleaning rod and the bore is pretty shot out.  Lots of rust to clean up and the stock is beat all to hell.  But as long as it goes boom and hits in the general area I'm pointing it, It'll be money well spent.

IMAG0281_zps65590c10.jpg

IMAG0274_zps5add57ca.jpg

IMAG0280_zps663d2328.jpg

IMAG0276_zps4b169db4.jpg

IMAG0289_zps5713bfd0.jpg

IMAG0285_zpsc7989c5a.jpg

IMAG0284_zps450e3402.jpg

• Like 1
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

Ahh, my eyes!!  Clean that rifle!!!  Haha.  

But seriously, for 100 bucks, that's a pretty sweet deal.  Nice catch.  

I could have gotten a much cleaner Chinese Type 53 for the same price, but I liked the idea of putting in some TLC into the rifle as it appeals to the tinkerer in me.  Also it's a real M44, not a copy.

• Like 1
64%
64%

I could have gotten a much cleaner Chinese Type 53 for the same price, but I liked the idea of putting in some TLC into the rifle as it appeals to the tinkerer in me.  Also it's a real M44, not a copy.

Haha.  No worries.  I'd have done the same thing.  Just wanted to make a small jab at it appearing to be REALLY dirty in those pics.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Wasn't really a black friday sale but I started the paperwork for a trust to purchase a can for my rifle.

The only thing I was looking for was .22 long but it's still impossible to find for some frigging reason.

• Like 1

The only thing I was looking for was .22 long but it's still impossible to find for some frigging reason.

Why the hell is that? Does anyone know? I've got some squirreled away, but I hate to use it when it's so damn hard to replenish.

Why the hell is that? Does anyone know? I've got some squirreled away, but I hate to use it when it's so damn hard to replenish.

Demand > Supply  is pretty much why.  Back in early 2013 when it looked as if congress might pass new legislation to put restrictions on firearms, there became A LOT of first time gun owners.  The overwhelming majority of the first time gun owners bought .22LR rifles and pistols because it's cheap to own and easy to shoot. So now you have this massive influx of new gun owners wanting to shoot their new .22's so then the demand for ammo skyrockets.  Put that in conjunction with current gun owners, fearing the ban hammer on everything gun related, wanting to "stock-up" on ammo to weather the oncoming storm.   22LR is getting easier to find, but even before late 2012 22 wasn't super common on the shelves.

64%
64%

Yeah, also you generally can't reload so you get everyone trying to buy it. It's been so hard to find everyone grabs it as soon as it hits the shelves. It becomes a bit if a death spiral: it's hard to find so everyone buys it immediately, which depletes stock keeping it hard to find which reinforces people's beliefs that they need to clean the shelf as soon as it hits. They can't build up a backstock so it stays perpetually in a low stock state.

With the other calibers, reloaders + price constraints allowed stock levels to slowly increase.

With the other calibers, reloaders + price constraints allowed stock levels to slowly increase.

Very true.  I'm having a really easy time finding .556, but both 9mm and .22 are nearly impossible.  Interestingly, around me .22 is easier to find than 9mm, though "easier" is a relative term.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Very true. I'm having a really easy time finding .556, but both 9mm and .22 are nearly impossible. Interestingly, around me .22 is easier to find than 9mm, though "easier" is a relative term.

Really? 9 is still hard to find in your area? It is pretty prevelant in CT, to the point I have been able to start bargain hunting. Was running ~16 bucks a box at the height of stupidity, now I can usually find for ~10 to 11 bucks a box.

Components, particularly primers, are still pretty tricky to find.

Really? 9 is still hard to find in your area? It is pretty prevelant in CT, to the point I have been able to start bargain hunting. Was running ~16 bucks a box at the height of stupidity, now I can usually find for ~10 to 11 bucks a box.

Components, particularly primers, are still pretty tricky to find.

I can't find 9mm or .22 anywhere. My brother-in-law asked for .22 shells for Christmas. :( (the 9 are for me.)

I found some 9 back in the summer at Academy. The guy said that they usually had some because people never think to buy ammo at Academy. Apparently, they've thought of it now.

www.freedommunitions.com Their remanufacture 9mm runs better than some factory new ammo and its dirt cheap. 500 round count will cost less $100 and they often have specials on free shipping.

+1 for them. The took the time to figure out how to ship to CT when our silly laws were past last year, many places just stopped shipping due to fear or misunderstanding.

There's a Freedom Munitions store in northwest Houston, about 15 minutes from the office... Love that place.

444d65cb315bfcaaf9d272bb3af476e6.jpg

This is my newest. Its a Taurus PT1911 AR. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. My usual shooting buddy recently got diagnosed with cancer so he is out of commission right now.

I think we are going to have an office holiday party at the range next week.

I have heard surprisingly good things about the Taurus 1911s (some of their other stuff... not so much). A lot of people poo-poo them because it's not a Wilson or an Ed Brown, but I know a couple guys who have used them pretty extensively and the only complaint was the cheap mags Taurus supplied.

I think we are going to have an office holiday party at the range next week.

I'm jealous.  Very jealous.  

I have heard surprisingly good things about the Taurus 1911s (some of their other stuff... not so much). A lot of people poo-poo them because it's not a Wilson or an Ed Brown, but I know a couple guys who have used them pretty extensively and the only complaint was the cheap mags Taurus supplied.

I poo-poo Taurus, but only because I've not had good experiences with their firearms (had one essentially disintegrate while my dad was shooting it).  That said, I've never shot one of their 1911's, so I could be way off base for them.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm jealous.  Very jealous.  

I poo-poo Taurus, but only because I've not had good experiences with their firearms (had one essentially disintegrate while my dad was shooting it).  That said, I've never shot one of their 1911's, so I could be way off base for them.  

When I put it on layaway, I hadn't ever shot a 45 so I didn't know if I would like it. I did some research and it got good marks as an entry level 1911. I'm already lusting after the Kimbers at the local shop.  Taurus has that lifetime guarantee and I have others to shoot if I need to send one in so it works for me. The last office/range party, my friend had a Ruger P90 that I also fell in love with. Being able to put guns on layaway is the best/worst thing ever. My next purchase is either going to be a tactical shotgun or a rifle in 5.56. 

• Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

I'm already lusting after the Kimbers at the local shop.  

I probably shouldn't tell you that the 3 Kimbers I've shot were quite possibly the best guns I've ever shot in my life.  :P

Also, woot for 5.56!  The AR platform, I assume? Woot for the shotgun too, really.  Both are good things to have.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™