Forums are back in action! ×

Hey Everyone,

I had caught myself looking at Nerd Fitness a few times via Google searches on various healthy topics.  Specifically I saw that the owner of the site is a fan of Henry Rollins - Iron and the Soul piece which is a big plus in my book.  What really drew me in though is unlike other forums (T-Nation, BB.com, etc...) the commenters seemed more human and "everyman-esque".  After wrestling with the idea a little bit I've joined my first fitness forum!

A brief background on myself:

In October 2012 I found myself recently single, broke, and grossly out of shape.  I'm roughly 5'9" and weighed 281lbs.  I won't bore you with the details but long story short is much like "Saint" I made some bets with my buddies for competitive purposes and started taking steps to improve my health.  By March 2013 I was 250lbs and by May 2013 I was 225lbs.  It's now November 2013 and I've done more strength building than cutting but my weight is a trimmer looking 220 lbs.

I'm still a work in progress and I'd like to be an exceptionally strong 200lb - 205lb monster when my goals are met!

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to start contributing to this site.  I love heavy lifting and I'm not afraid to do cardio either.  My eating habits are relatively clean and I have some good all around insight into people trying to lose weight and gain strength.  I've prepared routines for my friends and have lists of clean foods as well.  More than anything I am always interested in learning from other people and would love to share ideas.

Also what are these guilds I've been seeing?  Can someone point me in the direction of the powerlifting nerds who love shows like Firefly and Game of Thrones?  Loving the book Beowulf is a huge draw as well I believe that's a banner I could march under!

"Do not fear death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light, but if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity..."

Welcome. Chairohkey and I are both Warrior Guild Leaders, feel free to PM us with any questions.

Congrats on the weight loss success! It was my initial reason for getting into lifting, but I fell in love with making Gains and always eat at a surplus, so I'm 20 lb heavier than when I joined. I'm finally to a point where I'm relatively happy with my strength levels and am going to cut some weight after my first PL comp in December. At 6'1", 275 lb I'm a bit pudgy, looking to get down to 240 or so. I'll be following along with any advice you doll out, you're looking pretty good in that selfie.

Speaking of comps, have you ever done any?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Haha thanks for the kind words and you definitely have the best Avatar on the Internet.

I'm hammering out a solid plan right now but for the time being I'm eating at a maintenance level and going into a deficit via lifting and cardio.

I plan on attending my first PL competition in April however I need to improve my numbers.

I'm 220lbs at the moment ant my core lifts are as follows:

1RM

450 Squat (been a couple months since I've tried this due to ramped up cardio)

315 Bench (haven't tried for more than this yet dealing with some tendon issues but got it less than two weeks ago)

450 Deadlift (which is horribly embarrassing given that it should be well above my squat!)

The guy I've been lifting with is a genetic monster and I'm hoping once we ramp back into the power side of things (he's more inclined to body build) I can see some serious gains.

What kind of split are you on if you don't mind me asking?  I'm pumped to hear you're competing I've heard that's one of the best motivational experiences out there and will definitely further your progress.  You'll have to let me know how you do!

"Do not fear death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light, but if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity..."

1RM

450 Squat (been a couple months since I've tried this due to ramped up cardio)

315 Bench (haven't tried for more than this yet dealing with some tendon issues but got it less than two weeks ago)

450 Deadlift (which is horribly embarrassing given that it should be well above my squat!)

Those are pretty good numbers and don't worry about your DL since mine too is only slightly above my squat.

You're already one of the stronger members on here then.

Myself I have kinda program jumped, but have done so with a purpose to learn what does and does not work for me. I like the Texas Method template but find my volume days keep me in the gym way too long and am thinking of hopping over to The Cube Method after the comp, which focuses on 1 main lift a day with 3-4 variations of it and should take no more than 45 minutes a day at first glance. Right now I'm getting over a little break after burning out on Smolov and just planning to work up to heavy singles in each lift once or twice a week before backing down to a few sets of 8 reps or so to just slam myself with some volume. I'm just 4 weeks out from the comp and really want to drill commands for the lifts and get super comfortable with heavy singles and my openers.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On the guild stuff....

Consider signing up for the next challenge....it starts Monday.

Once you complete your first 6-week challenge, you "earn" your warrior guild crest.

Think about what you want to accomplish over those 6 weeks and pick a life goal too.

Cheers! and welcome. :)

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good insight Gainsdalf thanks!  Looking forward to you putting up some big numbers and representing at your competition.

Look at all you jacked warriors coming out of the woodwork!  I would have signed up but I just got back to my computer and it's already Monday. 

About to do my AM cardio before international chest & tri day tonight!

I hope all you animals get your lifts in as well!

You have until the end of week 2 to sign up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625