Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone!! Newbie intro

Hi all, my name is Jess. I'm new to the site so I thought I'd introduce myself. 

I'm in my mid-twenties and a college student majoring in nursing. I currently work as a personal care aide in a local assisted living facility. I am 5'1 and weigh in at 259 pounds. Anyone with a BMI chart (or a couple working brain cells for that matter) could tell you that I'm quite over weight. There were a few things that made me decide to take control of my health. 

The problem: I have no idea where to start. After countless internet searches, I found my way here. I used to be really involved in sports when I was a kid but had to stop when we moved to America. My mom just couldn't afford to keep us involved in them. I gained weight so fast. I'm really tired of lugging around all this extra weight and would really like to go back to living a healthy life.

My interests include parkour, strength training, yoga, I really need to work on endurance training...I also like travel, eastern spirituality, hiking, cooking, anime, Doctor Who, symphonic/operatic metal, folk metal, video games, reading and tea.

Nice to meet you all!

Let Yourself be drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

~Rumi

Welcome Kira! 

Best place to start is at the beginning. You have a variety of interests. For strength training are you interested in body weight strength training or barbell training? Since you are at uni, I assume you have access to freeweights? Do they also offer yoga classes there? 

As for endurance have you checked out the couch to 5k running program? It is a great program to get you out the door and run if that is your thing. We're here to answer your questions and try to point ya in the right direction :)

Also for Parkour try this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/08/12/the-definitive-guide-to-parkour-for-beginners/

And here is a youtube playlist of some tutorial videos and progressions for parkour. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks! I'm definitely checking out the Couch to 5K program. 

I'm actually at a satellite campus. We have no fitness facilities, which is a huge bummer. I have some exercise equipment from my parents. I have a treadmill, a weight bench with a barbell and a couple dumbbells.

I do have a variety of interests! That was just a small list of my interests  :playful: . I view the world as a giant playground with all sorts of fun and exciting things to experience. I want to get off the bench and do it all. 

Let Yourself be drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

~Rumi

Thanks! I'm definitely checking out the Couch to 5K program. 

I do have a variety of interests! That was just a small list of my interests  :playful: . I view the world as a giant playground with all sorts of fun and exciting things to experience. I want to get off the bench and do it all. 

Welcome! And might I recommend getting some very sturdy shoes? Keep us posted on your progress.

Stay sharp!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Since you have a barbell and weight bench, you might want to consider doing StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. The StrongLifts web site has videos of the complete workouts A and B.

Does the weight bench have a built-in rack for holding the barbell? Is there a separate, stand-alone rack that you can move away from the weight bench?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge