Forums are back in action! ×

Well, I have been lurking for way too long on here and it is time to take action. Last night I weighed myself for the first time in over 6 months. 330 LBS!!!!! I weighed 280 in January!!! Break ups and being poor SUCKS!!! Dollar menus and depression do not mix well. I went to sleep last night stressed out enough to where I could not get to sleep for a long time. So I made up my mind that I will do something about it. This morning before work started I went to the local grocery store and bought stuffs to make salads or as I like to call them "Plant Nachos" and a lot of fruit. I need to be proactive on this. I feel like I am dying! I can't believe I let myself get to this point. I have been lurking on these forums envying all of you who are taking such great positive steps in your life and it's time for my butt to stand up and do something good for myself! If anyone has any idea where to start, let me know! I figured posting this would be a step in the right direction but if someone could show me the next, I would be gratefull! My name is Teddy. This is day one. 

post-20717-0-87732800-1383831587_thumb.j

• Like 1

Warrior Monk

Hey Teddy, as you said at the end, this is your first step, it's one of the most important. Now what you will need to realize, is that this is a hard road and you will need to dedicate yourself, probably do a bit of research and ask questions. We all started somewhere and all are going somewhere.

Also, you set your goal to 250 pounds, why is that? What will happen when you reach it, will it be "enough"? Probably not, but it's a start and that's enough for now. You will achieve your goal if you set your mind and accept the bumps that will be on your journey. We, Nerd Fitness, will be here, always, to give you a helping hand along the way, through hard times, through good times, all of them.

That being said, let's start with the fun stuff.

To start off, to lose weight, you will need to know the basics. I'd suggest you to eat about 2000-2200 calories a day to start and at least 200g of protein. It's easy to log on www.MyFitnessPal.com, and you will know where things are hurting you and what not.

Losing weight is "easy" once you know the basics. 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance level caloric intake will net you 3500 calories less a week, which means one pound lost. If you use THIS it will give you an approximate maintenance level for you. Take this maintenance level and subtract 500 per pound you want to lose a week. Don't "try" to lose more than 1.5-2 pounds a week. When you've lost weight, reduce this to 1 pound a week for a constant, "easier" "diet".

Do you do any exercise? If so, what kind? Gym membership?

Anyways, if you have any questions ask, if I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does or I'll do research!

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Welcome! You got this. You've got a great attitude!

The first thing to start with is calories. Like D said, I'd get a calorie tracker...but don't necessarily rely on what they say. Do some research on BMR and TDEE and figure out what will work for you. Make sure you get plenty of protein and healthy fats - those will help fill you up while carbs will give you energy. I'd limit the fruit consumption because they can be high-calorie.

I see you are a Warrior - do you lift (bro)?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thanks for the speedy reply! The 250 is not my end. Once I get to that point I am going to do an assessment of where I am health-wise and figure out my next goal. There is a gym, Anytime Fitness, that is two doors from where I work so I will be going there every morning before work. I have to go in the morning or else I will be "too tired" and psych myself out when I get off work. 

Warrior Monk

Every morning might be a bit much, I'm only doing 3 days a week and it's enough. If you start something like StrongLifts 5x5, you'll see great results along with watching what you want and how much of it.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

@MirGSS I was just using free weights, no machines. The day will come when Cyberdyne Systems and Skynet will create the Terminator and machines will rule the world but for now they won't control me or my workout ha! 

Also, I could never get a grasp of the points and attributes system to level up and everything but if someone could explain it to me I would appreciate it :) I did not find the article about Leveling up your life, real life role playing all that helpful..

Warrior Monk

I don't use machines either - it's all barbell :)

The system has changed since I've started but I believe you start out in the Level 1 Club or group for your first challenge - then you can "join" the guild of your choice after your first successful challenge.

I'm not sure how the first level works anymore, but after a successful challenge, you gain up to 15 attribute points, distributed how you chose when you signed up. You grade yourself on your goals and get the resulting number of points.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8