Forums are back in action! ×

Talking about "Fat Letters" on HuffPostLive

ugh... and I don't even want to get started on HOW pe is taught...

my autistic (asperger's) child has a problem with changing clothes in the middle of the day... yet is expected to "dress out"... (they have offered him options to not dress out in front of other children... but his issue is just with changing clothes) which is stupid!!! they don't do anything in middle school that he can't do in his regular clothes... and he doesn't get sweaty enough (they don't do anything to make him sweat) that his sweat would be an issue in another class...

and the actual teaching of things???? they call zumba a class... which my super uncooridinated child can't do so ends up just jumping up and down and not getting credit for "participating"... they play dodgeball (which usually ends up with my son walking laps on the outside and not getting credit for the day because he didn't "participate")... the presidential fitness tests at the beginning and end of each semester... where they test you on things they don't work on... the only time he ever gets a good grade is when they do running or climbing (he excells at those...) and then we go to his meetings with his teachers and then principal wants to fuss at me for "not supporting the phys ed program" and when I tell her "when you start educating in phys ed I will start supporting it!" and she wants to go on and on about how "you can actually not graduate in high school if you fail phys ed" and such I am like how can a class which teaches you absolutely NOTHING keep you from graduating high school?!?!?!?!?!

sigh

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

i think when i have kids i'll make sure they're jacked to shit so that they're morbidly obese with 10%bf... then i can frame all the fat letters i get from school :tongue:

I lol'd too hard at this. 

Crispy "Dance-Party" Kracklins

LvL 4 Bacon Golem Adventurer

STR: 2 DEX: 5 STA: 7 CON: 8 WIS: 5 CHA: 5

my daughter (who is 5'4" and 145 - which btw is MY height and GOAL weight) got one of these "your BMI is high" letters

and she cried for 2 days because the school "called her fat" (they called her overweight and not fat but apparently there was some discussion with the school nurse over what her weight was)

This makes me feel bad for you kid- and leads me to a potential idea/resolution to make this program better.

What if the students were not made aware of the results. What if they get weighed in, never see the scale reading, and go about their day. All letters get mailed to parents instead of being sent home... The kid never has to know that this went on, and the parent learns  a bit about a potential issue. 

Think about a little kid who falls, they look around to see an adults reaction to see if they should cry or not... Now I am not saying that a 13 year old has the same capacity as a toddler who falls over, but it is the same kind of process. if they are not aware to feel bad, they will not feel bad.

Currently lost in Fitness.