Forums are back in action! ×

New Rebel from WV

Hello all.

After browsing the blog archives, I was inspired to join. Cutting straight to the chase.....I'm a 41 year old husband, father of three amazing boys, and a full time paramedic. I don't know when, or where, I lost myself, but I did...and in the process, my family has suffered considerably. I'm currently 90lbs overweight, I smoke too much, I love food waaaaay too much, and I work 4 24 hour shifts a week. Two years ago, I had heart attack number one. It was mild, and as a paramedic, you'd think it'd have been the perfect wake up call.

Not even a little.

So, after two years of reading, researching, etc., I realized that all the knowledge in the world is useless without action. I love my wife of 15 years. I live for my three boys. I love my career and my community. I can't stay on this path. I go to extremes, trying to stop smoking, poor eating habits, soda, etc., all while trying to workout and make life changes. Then after a few days, the change overwhelms me and I cave. So, I come to you, dropping all preconceived notions, ideas, and research, and ask a simple request.

Help me save my life. For my family, yes. But also for me. This is about ME this time. I want this change. I need it. Help me.

Welcome to the community. Your kids would be a wonderful place to get some exersise. Spend some time out with them just having fun playing catch or something.  that can be a wonderful motivator. Or you could start jogging with your wife. doing things with people you care about makes it so much easier and more worth while.

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

Hi, Sgowens!

Hey, I'm an ex-smoker myself, and I think this site might help you: http://whyquit.com/

As for the other stuff: take it slowly. Don't try to do everything at once. One bad habit is hard enough to kick, but several at once, on top of trying to form good habits, is really hard to do. As the founder of this site said himself: Willpower is finite.

Take it one small step at a time, and even if you stumble or fall, you get back up and keep walking. One day, you'll be able to look back and see how far you've come. So hang in there! And if you need support, we'll be there for you!

Stay sharp!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.