Forums are back in action! ×

Life Hack: Shaving

I use a DE razor. Originally used an electric, but once my beard came in properly I had a lot of trouble with razor burn/bumps. Switched to cartridges for many years but they weren't a whole lot better. Since switching to a DE with good shaving soap a couple of years ago, I've barely had an issue. Closest shaves I've ever had, too.

Currently use Feather blades. Don't get a ton of shaves out of them, but they are the sharpest blades I have found. Use Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap, which is very good value. If you are going down the wet shave route, skip the boar bristles and invest in a good badger hair brush (ideally Best Badger grade or higher). A soft brush just makes the morning ritual so much more pleasant.

Have played around with a straight razor in the past, but all the stropping and honing is a waste of time IMO. You can get all the benefits of a great wet shave with a DE razor, and it's a million times quicker.

I made the switch to a safety razor as well and don't regret it one bit. I do keep some disposables if I'm traveling our if I'm running late, but I get the best shave and the wife loves feeling how much smoother my face feels. Initial cost is expensive, but in the long run, you save so much.

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw

Started shaving everyday so I couldn't hide my fat face behind the goatee. I have been using a safety razor for over a year and I love it (merker blades are great). Still a little nervous about switching to the straight razor.

Level 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

"Geekshow says HEY!"
"Do or do not, there is no try"

My Goals:

1) Destroy the Spartan Beast in June

2) James Bond the $h!t out of my wedding Tux

3) Finally see a six pack (outside of my fridge)

My husband has very thick, dark facial hair that grows really quickly, but we both prefer him to be clean-shaven.  When he was in the service, he had to shave twice a day to pass inspection.  He shreds his face when shaving with a 2-blade disposable, especially around his neck.  It's kind of scary watching him shave...he goes in every direction and just sort of attacks it.  :)  Would this help any of those issues?

Haha, I use disposables for months straight to the point where it hurts because they've gotten rough. I pick a spot and do rapid-fire passes rather than a smooth one. End up making a cut every other time I shave. I use no aftershave either, never saw the point and I prefer not to spray napalm on the aforementioned cuts.

I picked up a shavette (looks like a straight razor but uses disposable blades) in May and am really enjoying it. I got a variety pack of blades to try with it and so far like the Iridium Supers the best, but I'm not a very hairy person so I go through blades very slowly. I've been practising on other people, but my husband won't let me shave his face yet. I actually got the hang of it pretty quickly, but I'm not used to shaving faces, so I need more practice for that! Before, I didn't use shaving cream. Now that I've used real shaving soap, I actually see the point. Getting the right lather makes it so much easier and safer.