Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone.  I'm Cypress, I'm 29 years old and terribly out of shape.  I'm hovering around 290 lbs at 5 foot 7ish, the heaviest I've ever been.  I say hovering because for the last few years I've kept my weight fluctuating within the 275-290 range, never going much over 290 because I vowed never to reach 300.  Turns out a vow of "I won't get that much fatter" isn't the best way to motivate myself into effecting actual change in my lifestyle, but rather just a means of stagnating.

Well, no more I say.

I've got some challenges to overcome - my body is kind of a wreck from laziness and abuse, my joints aren't doing so hot and my lungs are an absolute nightmare due to three separate bouts of pneumonia leaving them scarred and weakened.  On top of that I have asthma and gastrointestinal issues that cause a storm of other issues, but pretty much all of my problems can be linked back to my weight.

I want to reduce the severity of these issues, if not completely rid myself of them, because I've decided that I don't want to die.  I spent a long time ignoring my weight because I didn't think I could fix it, or I didn't think I was worth it.  I didn't really care if I died prematurely, because I wasn't really living.  That was before I decided that I'd like to get married, maybe have a kid, and go on some real adventures,  

So that would be my primary motivation - to be able to have a fuller life with my loved ones.

And I guess it'd be nice to be able to dress up as Captain America or Daredevil for Halloween one day.  

There you go, you have much to live for, and much to contribute. I know that all of your goals are attainable. You will find that many of your illnesses are alleviated when you get in shape. Our bodies are amazing things that we do not really understand. But understand this, your body is capable of miraculous regeneration when you care for it and get it into a healthful state. You can do this and we can help. Welcome.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Shewww wow. I know some of what you're going through, I have a little brother who ends up in the emergency room at least twice a year for asthma, among other things. Since he's been that way since birth, he's at the opposite spectrum of your issues; he's very underweight and scrawny for his age.

That being said, he's been actively working on getting stronger by joining sports, and his issues are getting better. It can be that way for you as well. The stronger you get, the healthier you get, the more those conditions will improve. It's not impossible to entirely rid yourself of most of those.

Just take it in steps. Strength comes over time. Every day push yourself just a little bit further. You'll get stronger, and be on your way to a life you can enjoy. :)

When you need support, jump on here, and we'll be there to help with what we can. Good luck to you, you can do it!

And may the force be with you :)

Ooh, ouch. I feel your pain about the pneumonia. I had a severe bout of bronchitis last year that lasted two months.

But take heart, the rebellion is here! Set a slow, steady pace for yourself. If you ever feel like giving up, come here and we'll have a cheer session for you! Keep us posted on your progress!

Stay sharp!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.