Forums are back in action! ×

Around in circles newbie

HI everyone!  

I've been reading and reading, but still a bit lost.  That's ok.  I've been lost before I'm not easily scared.

I just found the chat room tonight  (Thanks to all who welcomed me so generously)

Then I found the forums.  (Ta Da)

I love RPG  I have been a fan of ol' school D& D along with NWN for ages.  I don't play anymore, but that's mostly because I only have 24 hours in one day, and I run out of hours before I run out of responsible adult activities.  (annoying in the extreme)  I work full time.  I have a full hours commute to and fro.  I'm currently in a Master's Degree program.  (if I couldn't be thin and beautiful.. I could be smart and fairly pretty )

So I'm a half-elf  ranger druid (amazon)   At least that is how I see me.  5'7" in my bare feet with a love for serious high heels.  I weigh at last count 216. (embarrassing as that is)

I'm a former athlete, and once long ago and far removed from my current reflection I was toned and solid.  Then I was injured. gain a few lbs  Then I married and had 3 children.  I gained an insane amount of weight with each child.  I gave up sports.  I never really tried to lose the weight.  Self sabotage and spouse sabotage kept me gaining and losing the same 20 lbs over and over. Becoming more and more depressed and feeding the self hatred tiny voice in the back of my head. Then came the cancer and with it came the surgeries to eliminate it and allow me to continue to be alive. (btw  I'm cancer free now so its all good) pack on another 10 lbs.  Then the divorce.  Then another surgery.  pack on another 15 lbs.  Turn around and look back and see all the places that I chose to sit and be fat instead of really doing something.  I watch my daughter in law everyday in the gym to lift and run and sweat and my son right there with her exercising as a team.  Encouraging each other.  I feel like a hippo.  A really big hippo.  I got rid of my bathroom scale because starting the day with numbers you can't cope with is a rotten way to start a day.

I stumbled across the Paleo diet and this place.  I'm not prepared to go full Paleo, its just not possible to make so many changes all at once.  I'm concentrating on a few small easy changes and a couple significant changes.  I'm soda free now for the last 5 days.  I was a 6 cans a day Pepsi Maxx drinker (some days more.)  On a Saturday I could kill a 2 liter bottle all by myself and then have southern sweet tea with dinner.  I gave up bread, cheerios, pasta rice and potatoes.  I am now drinking almost 2 liters of water with just water in it a day.

My point and yes I had one before I wandered off with my sad tale, is that another of my son's will be married soon  (happiness and joy) and I don't have time to lose much weight before being in photographs, but fine I'll cope, that doesn't change the fact that I don't like my reflection much.  I'd really very much like to change that opinion.  I'm close to 70 lbs over weight, weak in ways that frighten the remembered athlete in me, I have no stamina, and I jiggle in all the wrong ways when I walk (or stars forbid run *shudder*)

I am not starting at ground zero because I do yoga, fairly often, and I can do a handstand I choose to do so near a wall for safety. I also routinely walk 1 to 3 miles.

So here I am.  Now what?

Hello beucastle welcome to the super friendly group of people known as my friend ogre put it from a certain movie said....NNNNEEEERRRRDDSSSSS!!!!!

Ok first off good job on the switch in diet, hold what you got next step keep up what your doing maybe throw in a circuit of body weight movements to start you know pushups, situps, leg lifts, flutter kicks, chair dips that kind of thing there are tons of sites that can prescribe a beginners calisthenic movement program.  If you want to look at weights first thing is don't be afraid of them nothing has been proven to help lose weight and tone up then lifting weight iron, steel....you catch my drift.  Also you don't need to lift the entire gym is is perfectly ok to just start with 5s on a 10 pnd bar and begin learning movements.  If you want a basic program i can type one up offline to get you started just hit me with a message.  

Not trying to make this sound easy as you know it will be alot of work ahead but i think you can do it.  Hope this helps

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

Hey you! I'm also new! (I'mma poet, and I do know it)

It seems like you've had it pretty rough, but hey life gets better and because you're smart your fitness is too. I can tell you now you're already doing better than me if you're doing a handstand (I'm a wee bit jealous) and yoga on the daily.

There's not much within the realm of suggestions as the world of fitness is new to me, but good luck with everything and congrats to your son! By the way, if you ever need an accountabilibuddy, just let me know!

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

Hey  Thetempalreservist    

Thank you for the warm welcome.  The full on really go get em work out you described is beyond my ability just yet.  Someday .. I'm still kinda fragile in places. Think Tai Chi not MMA.  Yoga not weightlifter.  Archer not Battleaxe.  Although the last time I tried bench press I lifted 85 lbs 8 times without injury and was really pleased with it.  Slow careful movement and methodical low (or no) impact choices.  When I improve and trust my body to comply with muscle memory.. you and I will have another chat about workouts and routines.  *grin*  I love the unconditional support this place gives.  Finally a little bit of hope.  I will surely lean on your expertise when I get more experience and confidence.

HI there Big D Ray!

Yea life has been rough in places, but not so bad, I have more than many.  I have enough to eat, a safe place to live, a good job, family and friends, adventures and misadventures, my dogs, and also my books.  I am blessed.  Everyone has tough challenges, it's how they are faced or feared that will define a lot of our lives.  You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.  So says my mother.

The handstand part isn't something to be jealous of.  I was (a lifetime ago) a competitive athlete.  (Gymnast, volleyball, and softball)  Handstands are like bicycle riding when you spent so much time doing something... you never forget.  You more than likely never did a dozen handstands let alone a dozen per day for years.  I can tell you that when you master a trick and can do it when ever where ever.....that feeling is magic.  Keep working on it.  It will come along one day.  

Thanks for the well wishes for my son and his soon to be bride.  I'm beyond excited for them.  I'm proud of my other 2 boys too.  (and my grand kids.)

I have no idea what an accountabilibuddy is but  ... sure  you get to be that.

Where do I get my stats from?  the thing at the bottom of your text box?

Ok yeah i was thinking even on the cals front take for example pushups those can be done from the knees that way your only pushing maybe 40-50 percent of your own weight.  Instead of situps say crunches like half sit ups.  I mean theres a always a way to scale way back till you rebuild your strength i have many suggestions if you want some pointers.  

Archer i like that first thing that came to mind was man we need to strength up her back muscles for that bow draw. And secondly what kind of bow is she using composite or standard long bow or is it a shortbow.....yayayaya dnd reference.

Accountabiliibuddy is someone that gives you a call or even better is like hey time to go hit it or eats with you to make sure you are sticking to a good diet just someone to hold you to the fire as well as motivate you.

Check under getting started theres a section talking about how to create your stats

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

Totally cool  thank you big D!!!!!  Those I might be able to do!!  I'll put them to the test Wednesday when I do the NOOB workout.

I should do the NOOB workout today but I just walked a 3 mile parade in a hoop skirt.  I think that qualifies as a work out.

Haha! Definitely counts in my book. That's one brave trek. I haven't walked a parade since Freshman Marching Band.

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^