Forums are back in action! ×

November-December Book Club Discussion - Oryx And Crake

The winner book in our wee poll is Oryx And Crake by Margaret Atwood!

The reading goes for November 11 - December 22, same as our 6 week challenge. 

You can start reading at any point in this given time.

If you post spoilers, warn us by writing SPOILERS, noting the chapter you're in and leaving some empty space between this and your message.

Respect each other's opinions and be nice.

Ready.... GO!

Wrote many 2 final papers on this book. Can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it!

Dragonborn Warrior Lvl 0 STR: 0 DEX: 0 STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Starting my first 6 week challenge on 11/11/13

Let me know if you want to buddy up!

22 Year-Old Former Collegiate Football Olineman

Goals: Body Fat Loss, and Strength Gain

Staring weight 11/5/13: 305

"Don’t nobody want to lift no heavy-ass weights.... I do it though!†-- Ronnie Coleman

"I do many, many things. I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist, a theoretical philosopher, but,

above all, I am a man. A hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you." -- Lancaster Dodd, The Master

CHALLENGE NUMBER ONE

Yay! Now all I need to do is swipe my honey's kindle and I'll be all set!

I am pretty new around here so I don't know how the discussion was done last time. Do we just post thoughts as we read or should we designate discussion points/dates?  I'll happily go along with whatever people want to do.

Superman116- I'm a Batman fan through and through but I must admit, your avatar is pretty sweet.

Sorted Hufflepuff, Self Proclaimed Stark, Lover of LEGOS

Love the stuff you love, and pursue your passions without fear or regret.

Weekly Battle Log Here: Silver Sword

Woo so cool to see you guys excited!

As about the discussion - I'd be happy with what the majority wants too. Although I personally don't want to take that responsibility of planning - I'm already a president of a book club in a real life and I really don't have enough time to manage another one :)

Never been in a book club, but check points sound like a good idea. It just seems like there should be some kind of structure.

"Limits like fears are often just an illusion†— Micheal Jordan

To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary" Bruce Lee

"The key to success is failure" <p> Micheal Jordan

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39666-superman116-quest-for-wellness/

As far as I can remember, we just shared our thoughts from time to time while reading. Everyone's pace is different so the check points might work for some and might not work for others. By the end of the challenge, we can all discuss the book in depth.

What I do in my other book club - we read a book for a certain amount of time and meet after we're finished. That's how most of the book clubs work. We also meet in a middle just for a general chat.

That said, I'm fine with whatever system anyone wants to implement as long as you actually go ahead and do it :) 

As far as I'm concerned we can just post our thoughts as we read. I'm just glad to finally be apart of a book club :)

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39666-superman116-quest-for-wellness/

Hello! Hope you don't mind if I join in. I started reading the book today and I enjoy the reading thus far.

The book is very interesting, makes one think how or what we would do in a similar situation. How would we feel in the same predicament? As far as the first 30 pages goes.

Zebarah thanks for the info. Took me a few tries, but I got it.

Level 0

STR-0 DEX-0 STA-0 CON-0 WIS-0 CHA-0

Hello! Hope you don't mind if I join in. I started reading the book today and I enjoy the reading thus far.

The book is very interesting, makes one think how or what we would do in a similar situation. How would we feel in the same predicament? As far as the first 30 pages goes.

Zebarah thanks for the info. Took me a few tries, but I got it.

We're happy to have you.

how are you guys hiding the spoilers like that?

Well gang,  I'm about 35% of the way in (according to my kindle anyway) and I'm not sure if I like this book or not yet.  So far I'm getting the same vibe I got from LOST.  Something big happened/is happening but I fear it will never be explained.  Anybody else getting that feeling?

JenniferStark - I am almost done with the book and I say it is a very slow read. I typically finish a book within a few days and I have been reading the book for almost a week - it is not a long book, just get bored and have to put it down.

I agree with you, I know something big must have happened - I hope it will be explained before the end of the book. I just want to finish the book, then get a different book to read - something with more action and excitement.

Unless something major happens within the next 77 pages, I cannot say whether it is a good book or not.

Level 0

Well gang,  I'm about 35% of the way in (according to my kindle anyway) and I'm not sure if I like this book or not yet.  So far I'm getting the same vibe I got from LOST.  Something big happened/is happening but I fear it will never be explained.  Anybody else getting that feeling?

Don't give up on it just yet!  All will be explained in time.  Personally I LOVED this book.  It's one of those where while you're reading it you question why you're reading it but then when you're done you want to go back and re-read it hahah.  At least for me.

OK great, I'm glad to hear that.  Have no fear! I will read the whole book. Not finishing a book for a book club because you don't care for it is a bit lame. I make a conscious effort to be un-lame as much as possible so I'll keep an open mind. :joyous:

Finally finished the book.

In my opinion, I did not care for the book, too mellow, too many weird things going on, and not enough action for me. The ending was left out or the writer chose the readers to assume the ending to Jimmy and the Crakers (unless there is a second book). I for one was disappointed at the end. I am glad the book explained what happened to everyone and that there were others left over after all. How many, it did not say, just that there are others.

I can see how as a human race we can end up this way, at the rate we are heading with using up all the resourses we may find someone who wants to play god and destroy the human race except those he/she feels worthy of surviving the - plague. I do not think I would like being the only one around except a new species of humans and possibly a few other humans. Wonder how they survived, were they vaccinated the same way Jimmy was?

How did everyone else do with the book. I am glad I am done with the book - it was a difficult read to get through, but refuse to let up on a book just because I do not like it, unless it is completely boring and does not make any sense. Definitely not a book I would read again or would want to. In my opinion. Moving on to other books now - maybe reread a Harry Potter book to bring back some action to my reading or a Cassandra Clare book.

Level 0