Forums are back in action! ×

Procrastination and the Art of Getting to the Gym in Mismatched Socks

I'm on a 6 week challenge at my local CrossFit. I have to make it to an 8am Saturday class. For a night-owl such as myself, this can be a Herculean effort.

Couple weeks ago, I could not find matching socks. Searching out the matching socks threatened to make me late. Finally I said 'f*&% it!' and went to the gym, on time, in mismatched socks. This was a bit of a milestone in my career as a reformed procrastinator and perfectionist.

On the way to the gym, I actually rehearsed a couple dialogs with persons who may notice my wardrobe misalignment with a haughty, "Well, it was matching socks or an on time arrival. Which would You choose?" No one noticed or cared, of course. They all had sweat in their eyes and couldn't focus for lack of coffee.

The sock debacle got me thinking- how would I have handled this in the past? (The following is a fictitious representation - any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.)

I can't find matching socks! I can't go to the gym like this! Shit. I have to find them! (Yell at Husband, scaring the dog in the process - Where are my damn socks?) Oh! here they are.

Now I'm late. Now what? Great. I already missed the warm up. If I can't do the warm up then the workout won't be complete. Oh, forget it. I'm too tired anyway. And besides I need to organize this stupid sock drawer.

I'm going back to bed for a half hour then I'm going to get up and organize the sock drawer so at least today isn't a total waste...

12 hours later: shit, I still need to do that sock drawer. I shouldn't have slept so long, but according to "Psychology Today" (which I spent the afternoon reading) sleep deficit can really mess you up, so I really needed that sleep. I guess it's too late to make it to this evening's CrossFit class. I'll go Monday.

One of the greatest phrases I've learned to enter into my own personal lexicon is: It's Good Enough!

Learning to say those 3 words has literally changed my life. It can change yours, too.

Oh, by the way, I have indeed made it to every one of my Saturday 8am classes.

• Like 1

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

I'm on a 6 week challenge at my local CrossFit. I have to make it to an 8am Saturday class. For a night-owl such as myself, this can be a Herculean effort.

Couple weeks ago, I could not find matching socks. Searching out the matching socks threatened to make me late. Finally I said 'f*&% it!' and went to the gym, on time, in mismatched socks. This was a bit of a milestone in my career as a reformed procrastinator and perfectionist.

On the way to the gym, I actually rehearsed a couple dialogs with persons who may notice my wardrobe misalignment with a haughty, "Well, it was matching socks or an on time arrival. Which would You choose?" No one noticed or cared, of course. They all had sweat in their eyes and couldn't focus for lack of coffee.

The sock debacle got me thinking- how would I have handled this in the past? (The following is a fictitious representation - any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.)

I can't find matching socks! I can't go to the gym like this! Shit. I have to find them! (Yell at Husband, scaring the dog in the process - Where are my damn socks?) Oh! here they are.

Now I'm late. Now what? Great. I already missed the warm up. If I can't do the warm up then the workout won't be complete. Oh, forget it. I'm too tired anyway. And besides I need to organize this stupid sock drawer.

I'm going back to bed for a half hour then I'm going to get up and organize the sock drawer so at least today isn't a total waste...

12 hours later: shit, I still need to do that sock drawer. I shouldn't have slept so long, but according to "Psychology Today" (which I spent the afternoon reading) sleep deficit can really mess you up, so I really needed that sleep. I guess it's too late to make it to this evening's CrossFit class. I'll go Monday.

One of the greatest phrases I've learned to enter into my own personal lexicon is: It's Good Enough!

Learning to say those 3 words has literally changed my life. It can change yours, too.

Oh, by the way, I have indeed made it to every one of my Saturday 8am classes.

Mismatched socks are all the rage among the youth... mainly those neon, crazy patterned ones. I wear mismatched socks to the gym ~75% of the time.

Screw what people think.

And... go you for discovering "Good enough!" This one simple phrase can really make so many things in life easier and more efficient. Expecting perfection every time leads to stalling and failure.

Mismatched socks are all the rage among the youth... mainly those neon, crazy patterned ones. I wear mismatched socks to the gym ~75% of the time.

Screw what people think.

And... go you for discovering "Good enough!" This one simple phrase can really make so many things in life easier and more efficient. Expecting perfection every time leads to stalling and failure.

I have grown to love mismatched socks so much that I refuse to match socks now unless I'm going to a work event!

I have also been having to discover good enough. Telling myself that staying up until 2am reediting that work report for the 12th time will not make it better, only incoherent! I have also discovered over my short lifespan that people seems to like the things I do better when I don't make them to perfections because then it always comes off as dry and forced.

• Like 1

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

Yeah, I've been into the little stripey jobbies that you get in packs of 5. They're fun to mix, but the key is the intention... Not planning to wear them can set the aforesaid conundrum into motion. And that's where "it's good enough!" saves the day. The socks are really just a metaphor.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

These are my favorite/lucky pair

01-047-2T.jpg?1346844143

I've worn dress sox in the gym a time or two when I've forgotten to pack running sox

I wear dress sox with my running shoes at work on Friday, usually argyle

I just did that last night.  Looked in my bag .............. no socks.  So I just went with the dress socks.  They were black and I pushed them down so no one was the wiser.  Looking back, I should have just pulled them up and rocked them that way.  :rolleyes-new:

The socks are really just a metaphor.

And here I was getting all excited about socks. ;)

I totally get it though. The other day, my daughter rubbed her face into my workout pants. She'd just eaten chocolate. I didn't have a clean pair of workout pants. Baby wipes to the rescue. It's as good as it was going to get. =B

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Sock, ooh, I'm so ready

Sock, come on, yeah

Baby, sock, baby, sock it

Honey in the beehive, honeybunch

Every time you kiss me, hits me like a punch

Ready, ready, ready, ready, ready, ready or not

Baby, I want, yes, I do, what you got

Sock it to me baby, baby

Sock it to me baby, baby

Sock it to me, sock it to me

Sock it to me, baby, sock it