Forums are back in action! ×

Failure is not an Option

Hi All-
First about me...I am a 34 year old female married with a 2 year old daughter. I am also a type 1 diabetic. I am currently considered over weight with a % body fat of ~40%. I am 5'7" and 187lbs.  Since my diagnosis in 2000 my weight slowly climbed then jumped drastically during pregnancy. I have struggled with mindless eating. Almost to the point of causing depression and feeling of being addicted to food. I failed myself so many times that I can't do that to myself again. This time I need a win!

My goals...to learn to eat mostly paleo, loose weight/get healthy, and learn to be a good role model for healthy living for my daughter. My diabetes/blood sugars are also in need of improving and this lifestyle should help with that too.

I found Nerd Fitness about a week ago and I am now ready to take the full plunge. I have tried other fitness/calorie counting sites and am a member of another (for pay) weight loss group. Other options have helped temporarily but the changes never stuck. I truly need a strong support group. I have introduced my husband to Nerd Fitness and he is on board. Our only obstacle now is to use up our current groceries and replace with things more Paleo friendly.

My biggest challenge will be vegetables. I am not a fan. You will never see a salad on my plate. I like meat, eggs, fish, and fruit which are good options. But giving up cheese and carbs is going to be tough. I know I can do it if you all support me.

Failure is not an option...My diabetes need me to do this, My daughter need me to do this, but most inportanly I need me to do this!

Thanks
rmkwilson

MFP: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/rkonie Name: RKonie

I think you've touched on something great - you've got fantastic motivation for you to be doing this. You're right - you're doing this to make sure diabetes doesn't run away with you, you're doing it so your daughter has a fantastic role model to grow up seeing and a healthy home to grow up in, but you're most importantly doing it for yourself. Fantastic, my friend~!

Welcome to the Rebellion!

As for veggies - I totally understand. It's taken me a long time to get used to eating veggies. My favourite veggie dish that's paleo and low-carb is mashed cauliflower. It takes a while to experiment with finding the right texture (still haven't gotten that part down), but I love adding some garlic powder and some nice fancy butter to it. Using that as the potato on top of some paleo-adapted shepherd's pie? Fantastic! And if you finely chop up zucchini or other veggies to add them to the meat mixture? Phenomenal! 

If I may suggest a tip that's helped me for adhering to diet: take some time on the weekend to cook all your meals for the week (or at least breakfast, lunch and package some snacks). Bonus for you - make it a family event! It will be a great way for your husband and you to build healthy eating habits together and (I'm not sure how old your little one is, so this might be way too premature) introduce the gal to some healthy eating habits too! Even if she's just sitting around lookin' pretty and watching mum and dad put together healthy feasts, that's perfect.

Are you planning on joining the over-Christmas challenge? It starts Dec 28. :3

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

I will certainly attempt the challenge. I was watching and hoping one was going to start soon. The 28th is a perfect time to start one. Just in time for those new years resolutions.

I was just in the kitchen cooking some venison and turkey for lunches. I plan on sticking with my oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. Maybe I will make some bacon to go with it. Dinners may have to be made day to day for a while, but eventually I will make those ahead of time too. I have never been much of a cook, so this will be a new skill to learn too. :)

I have heard about mashed cauliflower before. I have yet to try it. Maybe I will try it this weekend. Is sauteing veggies okay or is cooking in olive oil frowned down apon? I think if I could saute some veggies in olive oil with garlic or other seasonings I could stomach eating a few more that I do now.

Thank you for the support

MFP: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/rkonie Name: RKonie

Learning to cook is the best thing diet-wise you can do for yourself. It saves so much money and it's a great way to be healthy and honest with yourself in your diet.

Honestly, I don't eat paleo, so I think sauteeing in olive oil is just fine if it makes it easier to eat. I do think oils are okay on paleo from what I remember of it. I eat a ketogenic diet and olive oil is definitely approved for me.

Don't be afraid to do some research into different dietary approaches and mix and match to find what works best for you. Arming yourself with a ton of nutritional knowledge will really help you to design a plan that works well for you.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V