Forums are back in action! ×

DC has some 'splaining to do

new wonder woman is Gal Gadot??

She's many things- but Amazonian she is not. 

DC's either got some serious CGI lined up- massive editing- or going to put her on a crazy bulk session... I'm really disappointed- although with Ben Afflack?  just meh.

I'm really meh about the whole thing- disappointed even- they have such great up and coming talent and they had to go with that.  

sigh. Thoughts?

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/wonder-woman-cast-gal-gadot-to-star-in-batman-superman-film/#/0

Do you mean she isn't tall? Or doesn't look buff?I don't remember Linda Carter looking particularly muscular

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I had no clue who she was until I looked her up, Yea I don't think she has the right body type to play that role; yes she is very pretty but she is also very very skinny and from looking at pics of her on google I don't know if she's going to be the type to bulk up for a role. But I could be wrong

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I really wish that one of the super heroine movies would actually have the girl work out and build strength for the role. Guys in that kind of role always go through a training regimen, but usually the gals regimen is to not eat anything besides lettuce and  do a bunch of running. Why not have the girl work out with weights? 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

well Jessica Biel did it for blade trinity and she was pretty skinny before wasn't she? you never know
i'm holding out on judgement with Ben Affleck, people thought that Heath Ledger would be a bad call for the Joker but he sure as hell proved them wrong (if you watch it again try to actually see Heath as the Joker, not just see the Joker... its fricking scary)

I really wish that one of the super heroine movies would actually have the girl work out and build strength for the role. Guys in that kind of role always go through a training regimen, but usually the gals regimen is to not eat anything besides lettuce and  do a bunch of running. Why not have the girl work out with weights? 

Keira Knightley actually did a bit of this for King Arthur.  Some snippets from interviews:

" As for being immersed in the action of King Arthur, "When I was doing Pirates of the Caribbean, I was always watching the boys training for the fight scenes and doing them, and I always thought, 'Aw, that looks so much fun.' So I was desperate for a sword and in this I got swords and axes, making up for it. We trained for about three months before we started, and for me that involved a lot of weight training to try and bulk me up a bit." "

" Many pictures of Keira have shown her athletic physique. King Arthur required more strength training than Pirates and Bend it Like Beckham because she was a warrior princess who had to measure up to the boys club that these epic movies often feature. Keira says, “We were in the gym all the time†and cites her training as, “boxing, weightlifting, archery, axe fighting and horse riding.†Keira actually went up a dress size for the role but luckily for her, it was because of all the training she did: “I put on a lot of muscle for the role. I had to put on as much weight as possible.†"

Not that I'm a fan or anything.

Well where were you during the casting call?

doing gods work as an engineer for the state- I'm remorse I missed my calling :( sad panda face

Do you mean she isn't tall? Or doesn't look buff?I don't remember Linda Carter looking particularly muscular

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

She is gorgous- and youre right Linda wasn't exactly ripped- but Gal looks like a stiff breeze could knock her over and I think that's what bothers me- Amazonian women were fierce- famed for cutting off a breast to draw a bow better.  She's just so... waify. Beautiful- but waify.

My thoughts are they are just going to have her be scrawny, and explain her strength through 'magic'.

god I hope not.

That's what I wish- I mean Gina was an option- but she's just such an ATROCIOUS actress that it would not go well (although ben afflack??? meh)  Ijust wish they would get some girls with some real honest to god strength that SHOWED it.

well Jessica Biel did it for blade trinity and she was pretty skinny before wasn't she? you never know

i'm holding out on judgement with Ben Affleck, people thought that Heath Ledger would be a bad call for the Joker but he sure as hell proved them wrong (if you watch it again try to actually see Heath as the Joker, not just see the Joker... its fricking scary)

She wasn't too bad- she could have been beefier in my book. They tend to cut the women SO lean even for "muscular" roles but she looked good for sure.  Just wish it was MORE. seems like there are two options

MOTHER RUSSIAN (Kickass 2) or like- this kind of I'm strong but waify look... cant' we do something in the middle.

Thoughts for Amazonian women- Grace Jones?  she was fabulous- but not full blown scary new age body builder- she screams amazonian to me. 

And yes- totally agree- it took me 3/4 of the movie before I could clearly go- oh yeah that's HEATH.... it was hard- he did a great job. 

Don't know if this has been addressed or not, but I've read interviews with Jennifer Lawrence promoting Hunger Games, saying that she took specific care to build a strong body for the role, not a skinny one. Katniss is an athlete in the books and it's great that Jennifer recognized that.

Now, granted, we could discuss how everyone in District 12 was starving, so skinny would technically have been more accurate to the book... but that's another thread for another day.

I'm reserving judgment. Do I think she's too slender for Wonder Woman? Yes.

But Christian Bale went from 150 emaciated pounds in The Machinist to being ripped for Batman Begins.

Chris Pratt went from being chunky to ripped for Guardians of the Galaxy.

chris-p.jpeg

Actors get paid to do this shit and have better support than we have. So maybe Gal Godot can get in shape for the role. She was in the Israeli military (granted all Israelis spend two years in the military).

So I am so reserving judgment.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I'm reserving judgment. Do I think she's too slender for Wonder Woman? Yes.

But Christian Bale went from 150 emaciated pounds in The Machinist to being ripped for Batman Begins.

Chris Pratt went from being chunky to ripped for Guardians of the Galaxy.

chris-p.jpeg

Actors get paid to do this shit and have better support than we have. So maybe Gal Godot can get in shape for the role. She was in the Israeli military (granted all Israelis spend two years in the military).

So I am so reserving judgment.

Just because all Israelis do it, doesn't make it easy.

Guest Dirty Deads

I really think they're just going to reverse Steve Rogers this girl. use CGI to make her like 6'3" or something. 

I'd much rather she took a tip from Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. She got pretty jacked up.

That's what I wish- I mean Gina was an option- but she's just such an ATROCIOUS actress that it would not go well (although ben afflack??? meh)  Ijust wish they would get some girls with some real honest to god strength that SHOWED it.

you mean Carano?

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

you mean Carano?

indubitably. 

Apparently she's one of the worst actresses of all time- I guess they TRIED to make it work and it just was an epic flop- like it wasn't even laughably so bad you couldn't enjoy it bad- it was just BAD.

But I haven't seen haywire- so I don't know- but that was one someone told me and said don't hold your breath. It's funny because it has an all star cast other than her... so it probably had potential. 

I might be the only one excited to see Ben Affleck as Batman. People were also complaining about Robert Downey Jr. being cast as Iron Man, and now it's his best known and one of his most acclaimed roles ever. Affleck is a good actor; yes, he's been in some lame films, but the movies being bad weren't really ever his fault. So I have high hopes.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

I remember people flipping out when Heath Ledger was announced as The Joker. The Brokeback Mountain jokes...

I remember people flipping out over Toby McGuire's Spidey outfit.

Nerd rage is inevitable when it comes to prerelease news. I hope Gal Godot gets some gains before playing Wonder Woman, but I'm just not going to declare it crap before I see it.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
Zombies, Run! Profile

Well I think one of the issues I  have is that this has a lot less to do with her acting and more to do with the base model they are working from to create something.  She was alright in Fast and Furious- she isn't a character I remember much- I just looked up some of her other work- of the stuff she's been in - I think I've only ever seen Knight and day- and I don't remember her at all . 

I'm hoping she is successful- I mean I don't want a movie to be total crap- I want it to be good- but I don't have much faith- mostly because 90% of the 'great movies' I see at this point are just bla. 

Like I said- DC has some spailning- or some very serious fitness work ahead.   I hope she kicks ass- needz moar wominz folk who can act kicking ass. 

Oh I agree IJo, as it stands right now she's too slender. But if she can go through the same physical transformation Christan Bale did from the Machinist to Batman Begins, Chris Evans from Fantastic Four to Captain America, or Chris Pratt from Parks and Rec to Guardians of the Galaxy than I think it'll be fine.

If the boys can do it then Wonder Woman damn well should be able to.

Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
Zombies, Run! Profile