Forums are back in action! ×

am new , am skinny , I want to change that .. dont know how .. help

Hi ..

this is the first time ever that I post in a forum of any kind .. I saw this website and I loved it and thought maybe this is where I can find what I want ..

am skinny as hell .. 190cm 55kg (thats 6ft 2 inches and 121 pound I guess) 

I've been skinny my whole life .. been hating it my whole life .. its the constant thing that people refer to .. not my work my achievments .. not my personality .. just the fact that am super skinny and that people are worried about it ..

I want to go to a gym .. but am too ashamed !! .. yep I said it .. am too skinny to the point that am afraid people will laugh the minute I step in .. so a gym for now is not an option .. maybe once I add 20 kg .. but not now ..

am not active in any kind .. am a diebetic male .. 23 years old .. completely out of shape ..etc 

I want to change , loved the community sense here .. so I thought maybe this is the place where I can find help instead of the sarcasm I am used to find whenever the topic of my weight pops out .. 

thats all .. any kind of suggestion is welcomed .. am a newby .. the definition of newbies .. so if you decide to help you'll have to talk in newbies language!!

thats all .. thanks for reading this far.

Welcome.  I think you'll find this is an accepting community.

A gym isn't necessary at all.  Body weight training can be very effective especially for newcomers.  Sandbags and kettlebells are easy to do at home too.

I'd assume diabetes is impacting your weight; have you talked with a nutritionist or doctor about it?

I suggest changing your name to something like "Bulking Up" or to something that doesn't have to do with your weight.  When you're making a change you are much more likely to be successful if you focus on a positive change rather than the negative.

Best of luck.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hey man!

Good choice picking Nerdfitness, we are all there for you and will support you in achieving your goals.

Actually I am in the same boat as you, skinny as hell and want to change it. Just signed up a month ago and I am now in the middle of my first 6-week-challenge.

I can absolutely identify with everything you are saying. I am also always known for being "the tall skinny guy" and I am also afraid of the looks people give me when I would join a gym... 

So I started with bodyweight exercises and try to eat as much as possible.

While many people here have weight loss goals there are also some with weight gain goals.

I recommend you to participate in the 6-week-challenge and make exercise and lots of eating part of your objectives!

Here two interesting threads of fellow user Kan who is also trying to gain weight:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40667-i-officially-begin-today/

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40656-is-there-something-wrong-with-me/

Good luck and keep us updated about your progress! 

Challenges: Current #1  

Hey, I'm skinny and I'm a diabetic too. As a bit of info for people who don't know, type 2 diabetes usually results from unhealthy eating and obesity. I have-- and I assume you have too-- type 1 diabetes which is a nonhereditary autoimmune disease that usually arises during adolescence (which is why it's also called juvenile diabetes) where those with the condition have to inject insulin and check their blood every time they eat carbohydrates (so, pretty much every time you eat). Anyhow, it's not even worth mentioning because, despite what some people think, it doesn't disable you at all.

As Steve often mentions, the best program is the one you stick with. I'm only a week in but I'm going to stick with mine. Start out easy. I tried starting out at an extremely intense level last spring and I only lasted for about a month. If you're trying to gain weight like me, eat lots of healthy, fat-rich, and calorie packed foods like walnuts, meats, and milk, while you get most of the carbs you eat from fruits. I recommend getting some 20-25 pound dumbells to use for squats and a pull-up bar for chin ups and pull ups. For more body weight exercises just peruse NF. Just remember to do lots of leg workout, because it really increases the rate at which your entire body builds muscle, and your legs are useful in almost every kind of exercise. But just start out slow to build your habit, and you'll be changing that username it no time.

• Like 1

Yeah, I figured.  BUT, I thought I'd ask on the off-chance.  I get excited when I read about new programs that can work for specific populations.

In addition to the notes on routines and nutrition (and nutrition is definitely the most important part of your goal), I'd say that you shouldn't be afraid to experiment.  When I started lifting, I did most of my routines in my apartment.  I was worried I'd make a fool of myself in the gym with bad form and so on.  As Sloth-Like says, a gym isn't even necessary to get built.  However, it'd be better - from a self-esteem point of view - if your reason for avoiding the gym was because of preference rather than anxiety.  I know putting aside your nervousness takes more than just being told to "stop worrying," but keep in mind it's the small steps that challenge us that make us grow.

Whatever you decide to do, stick with it!  Your dedication to your goal will matter more than the specific routines you use to get there.  Nutrition will reign supreme.

man , the internet is an awesome place .. never thought I would be welcomed like this .. and actually find fellow skinny diabetics .. how cool is that!

thanks to you all .. really appreciate the help and input ..

I have type 1 diabetes , and I now remember my doctor telling me my muscles suffered some kind of damage from my early diebetese days (I was hospitalized in the ICU for a week) .. but that was 5 years ago so I guess am ready to gain weight ..

the name changing point is really good .. I should focus on the change .. how do I change my user name?

I started today with the famous 7 minute workout routine .. almost killed my self but it feels good ..

am right now eating icecream and planing to increase my nutrition intake .. can someone break it down to me, this whole calories thing .. how do you count calories???

again thank you .. like for real .. you people are awesome *awkward group hug*

• Like 1

man , the internet is an awesome place .. never thought I would be welcomed like this .. and actually find fellow skinny diabetics .. how cool is that!

thanks to you all .. really appreciate the help and input ..

I have type 1 diabetes , and I now remember my doctor telling me my muscles suffered some kind of damage from my early diebetese days (I was hospitalized in the ICU for a week) .. but that was 5 years ago so I guess am ready to gain weight ..

the name changing point is really good .. I should focus on the change .. how do I change my user name?

I started today with the famous 7 minute workout routine .. almost killed my self but it feels good ..

am right now eating icecream and planing to increase my nutrition intake .. can someone break it down to me, this whole calories thing .. how do you count calories???

again thank you .. like for real .. you people are awesome *awkward group hug*

I'd stay away from the ice cream. And look at the nutrition labels for your foods (use calorie king. com if there are none) if calorie counting is something you want to do. I don't count my calories, but I just make sure to eat a lot of healthy calorie-rich foods like nuts and meats. Getting a bunch of calories from ice cream will likely just leave you with a bunch of belly fat. And I'm not sure how to change ur username. But good welcome to the rebellion

Welcome to the club, my friend! Daily plate is another good website for nutrition tracking. And as mentioned before, steer clear of the ice cream. It's got the fat, but it's really, really processed. You're body will build itself better with a more nutrient dense fat source, like nuts and seeds. Hemp seeds, for instance, are packed with digestible fats and load 10 grams of protein onto you with only 3 tablespoons! Chia seeds have fats and protein, too, and can be sprinkled on anything you're going to eat. Look at cutting down on processed foods, and you're journey will be a better fueled one!

Workouts at gyms are a competition fest, and can be intimidating. This is my favorite, non-gym workout, and I try to do it whenever my park isn't covered in snow!

Now go kick some butt!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG