Forums are back in action! ×

Epic hike to honor the memory of our epic NF Marine

On November 22, Nerd Fitness' Texas Toast ended his battle with PTSD/TBI. He was a loving older brother, son, nephew, and friend and is remembered fondly by all who knew him.

Before his untimely departure, Christopher Harlan started his first challenge: to get in shape to hike all 2,180 miles of the Appalachian trail on April 26th 2014 in support of Cancer for College.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40312-texastoast-begins-preparing-for-the-quest-to-help-cure-the-plague/

This Marine, who was blown up by a roadside bomb, who had so many demons in his life, still would only think of others. He would take care of them, always, before he would take care of himself.

Christopher's family and friends are still continuing the hike in his memory, and to bring awareness to the seriousness and severity of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injuries in our servicemen and women, as well as bring awareness to the fact that often these injuries are left untreated. Whether it is the culture of machismo in the military that a soldier can't ask for help, or the inability of the VA hospitals to see all of the injured men and women that need help...we have a duty to take care of those who have taken care of us by sacrificing their lives.

Christopher's family is looking for volunteers to complete his challenge, even if it means volunteering for a small part. If you are willing and able to take on this epic quest, please let me know and i can get you in touch with his friends and family to arrange it.

Sadly, because I am a teacher, I am unable to participate because it is during the school year... But I'd love to say that Nerd Fitness is giving it's love and support to this family still struggling with the loss of such a hero.

You can find a link to the fundraiser, and Christopher's bio.

http://www.crowdrise.com/hikeforcfc/fundraiser/cancerforcollege1/1/return/success/success?fb_action_ids=10202527089845349&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

I live 5 minutes from the trail... will GLADLY hike some in his honor

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

After having an epiphany the other day I realized that it will take quite a long while for even a marine to walk 2k+ miles. I am in discussions with Michael Cox (Christopher's friend and hiking partner) about where to meet up in late June/July hopefully we can try to get some key check-in points so people can join along the way.

Thank you so much for your love already.... I will update this topic as soon as I can!

Spoiler

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

After having an epiphany the other day I realized that it will take quite a long while for even a marine to walk 2k+ miles. I am in discussions with Michael Cox (Christopher's friend and hiking partner) about where to meet up in late June/July hopefully we can try to get some key check-in points so people can join along the way.

Thank you so much for your love already.... I will update this topic as soon as I can!

I'd wondered if you had maybe meant that you were teaching summer classes, too. 

I don't think I can commit time to hiking, but I live (relatively) near the AT, so I could probably meet up with anyone doing the section near Caratunk for a bit of support/ride to the post office/etc.  Subscribed to thread to stay in the loop.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Oh I do teach a summer camp, though I'm hoping they will let me take a week off to spend some time on the trail...

Still trying to iron out the details, they were going to do a sort of relay idea, but there was just too much planning and coordination involved, so they may be just arranging a specific meeting place for a bunch of people at one specific spot as Christopher's hiking buddy arrives... I will give the men a link to this topic and maybe they will join and keep us in the loop...if not, I'm happy to be a middle woman between us all....

I'm hoping I can join with Jenn in Virginia if everything works out perfectly! We will see. :)

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

This is Michael's Facebook page for the hike, he asked that if you are interested in joining at some point to like his page so that he can get in touch with all of you and update regularly. Let me know if the link works!

https://facebook.com/Hike4Survivors?ref=stream&__user=64400125

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

This is Michael's Facebook page for the hike, he asked that if you are interested in joining at some point to like his page so that he can get in touch with all of you and update regularly. Let me know if the link works!

https://m.facebook.com/Hike4Survivors?ref=stream&__user=64400125

Link works, though it points to the mobile version of the site (get rid of the "m." to fix that).

I "liked" it and will be keeping track. I am somewhat close to the end on the north side.

• Like 1

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Link works, though it points to the mobile version of the site (get rid of the "m." to fix that).

I "liked" it and will be keeping track. I am somewhat close to the end on the north side.

Thanks Tinny, I edited the link, I hope it works better for ya! Depending on where they are and when, I may be hiking farther north! We'll see! :)

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Depends on the trail If it's through the mountains then it's harder but our first hump with packs in boot camp is 5k we then do a 10k and 15k and repeat in mct.

But will do the hike in honor of my fallen brother.

WIP super hero name Tuxedo Phoenix.

Depends on the trail If it's through the mountains then it's harder but our first hump with packs in boot camp is 5k we then do a 10k and 15k and repeat in mct.

the AT is through mountains... some bigger than others... average time to complete it is around six months.... two thousand miles is a lot

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

the AT is through mountains... some bigger than others... average time to complete it is around six months.... two thousand miles is a lot

They are starting April 29th, and I think I saw they want to finish by August 29th.

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Hello RebellionMarine, are you thinking the whole thing? Or a part? The hike is for Cancer for College, but I feel like being able to complete some of it for Christopher, it will help him complete the goals that I had offered to help him reach...

I wish I knew how to plan out a way to meet up with them...I'm guessing there will be a need for supplies frequently, so maybe that is what I can use as a reference point...

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

most people plan to be at certain places by certain dates.... 

and they plan their trip down to the littlest details... so it shouldn' tbe too hard to figure out when/where to meet them

Spoiler

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

wait looks like i missread, when i seen 2k i assumed 2 kilometers my mistake but yes 2k miles is alot.

They are starting April 29th, and I think I saw they want to finish by August 29th.

Sorry wasn't thinking i'll be in japan  befor this date. won't be able to make it but i can still donate to the cause and if at all possible orginize my own walk even if it's just me.

WIP super hero name Tuxedo Phoenix.

wait looks like i missread, when i seen 2k i assumed 2 kilometers my mistake but yes 2k miles is alot.

Sorry wasn't thinking i'll be in japan  befor this date. won't be able to make it but i can still donate to the cause and if at all possible orginize my own walk even if it's just me.

I can give you info via PM to contact the men who are trying to arrange it all if you'd like, even if it means you will do it yourself another time, I'm sure they would be willing to give you info on what they know.

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

it's ok I ffigured by your first post that you didn't realize that Mags was talking about a specific trail :)

Spoiler

Okay, an update!  

So because of my timeline, (aka school being out mid June and Jury Duty scheduled for late june...) I was thinking of hiking in late July/August, which means that I will be most likely trying to meet up with these guys in Vermont for several days.  I have another teacher friend who will join me, and possibly a nerd? still trying to figure that one out! I would love to have more people if anyone wants to hike Vermont in August! :P I have been told by others that it is one of the best parts of the trail! I have never been there myself, so I'm just going on what everyone else is saying! :)

Anyone from VT who could give me and my friend a ride if we need it? :D

I'm excited to figure out more specific logistics soon! :)

Sara/CrazyMags

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast