Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, another n00b here (;

Hi, everyone!

I just got the Rebel Fitness Guide and am excited to join the Rebellion. I'm a student, of a pretty average build and in good physical heath, but I have wanted to "get fit" for years now and never found the motivation. I really like the style of the training here, and the community seems great, so I thought I'd finally put my nose to the grindstone and force myself into good habits and a healthier lifestyle which I will be happier with. 

I've suffered through really bad depression the past two years, and now that I'm doing much better mentally, I want to focus on giving my body what it needs to help my mind fully heal. Physique-wise, I just want to 'tone' my body insofar as possible, because I can feel my muscles underneath my skin, but they're hidden under an annoying layer of flab! 

I'm going for a mostly-paleo diet. I went totally paleo for a few weeks and did well, but my total cut-off of carbs left me feeling super bloated. So, this time, I'm going to eliminate starchy carbs and leave in (at least for a while) a few grains 'til I can ease out of em.

Fitness-wise, I want to learn how to weight-train and do other exercises unrelated to cardio. I want to be able to do a pull-up, people ! I'm pretty good at cardio; running, etc., so I have endurance, but I have no strength. Unfortunately, I'm pretty clueless with how to use machines and how many reps to do and what weights to get and so on.. :l

I plan to participate in the upcoming challenge and I'm excited to get started! :)

~Kat

Hello Lunacy!

Welcome to the rebellion! You can check the sub forums about fitness to find out the information you need. One thing you should know though: weight machines are evil and "toning" and its variations are considered dirty words here ;)

As for the amount of weight and how many reps, well, that depends largely on what you can do at the moment and what your goals are. Again, check the strength training forum. You will find people who can help you with your goals.

Good luck with your training and keep us posted!

PS.

If you are wondering what I meant about weight machines being evil, check out Steve's article on the subject: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/24/rage-against-the-machine-how-to-switch-from-exercise-machines-to-free-weights/

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.