Forums are back in action! ×

Feel like bragging a bit.

I've been learning to run over the last year. I'm over 300 lbs. It's difficult.

I went through C25K earlier in the year, and even though I finished the program doing timed intervals rather than distance, I never actually did 5k. I ran over a mile without stopping with was a plus, but I never went  a full 5k of distance in the 30+ minute runs. I've only hit the distance once, and it was pretty killer. It took an hour. That was over 3 months ago right after I discovered ZombiesRun!.

We recently moved, and are living with the in-laws, and I've had a hard time getting back on track, as we've been pretty busy the last couple of months, and there aren't enough shoulders on the roads within walking distance to make it very safe.

The night before last, we were out looking at Christmas lights and I found a neighborhood within walking distance that was big enough to do up to 10k safely. So this morning, I dragged my big hind-end out into the cold for my first run in a long time and banged out just under 8k (7.93) worth of intervals, and my overall pace was 2 minutes faster than my fastest time previously. 

When I first started, my mile time was just over 30 minutes. When I quit before the move, the fastest mile time was somewhere around 15 to 16 minutes. This morning I averaged 13 minutes per mile. While that's pretty slow for most people...it's HUGE for me. I'm so close to a sub 10 minute average that I can taste it. Once I hit it, I'm shooting for a sub 10 minute non-interval mile. It'll happen!

• Like 2

Race: Ogre Mage

LVL 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 | STA 0 | CON 0

Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we.

Set small goals and build upon them.

~Lee Haney 

That is amazing improvement! Good job! I havent run that far but i bet you get a really good runner's buzz after that kinda distance lol. Maybe you just needed a brief hiatus from running in order to let your body repair itself.

Yeah, I think the time off helped a bit, and yeah, this morning I was definitely feeling the runners high!

Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we.

~Lee Haney 

And I'm hoping the break didn't hurt too much when I get back at lifting tomorrow!

~Lee Haney 

Awesome work, Brando!

Who cares if its slow for other people? What's important is that you are getting faster than you used to be! Stay awesome, and get awesomer! Cheers! fu-toast.gif

Cheers! fu-toast.gif

~Lee Haney 

Zombies, Run! is a brilliant training mechanism! I love it, it helped me get into running, scared me shitless at night though. The only person you have to compete against is yourself. If you are beating your times than you are winning! I mean, if we compared ourselves to everyone else, we'd all be hopeless. Well done, sir!

• Like 1

Hobbit Assassin Recruit

Level 0

Str: 0     Dex: 0     Sta: 0     Con: 0     Wis: 0     Cha: 0

“Though she may be but little, she is fierce!†
― Helena, Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare

Challenge Page | Soon to be Bucket list page

Howard Shore is my homeboy