Forums are back in action! ×

I'm not a Nerd!

Hi guys, I wouldn't consider myself a nerd or anything but I've been reading the blog for ages and really like what Steve puts out there.

I've been weight training for about 8 years now but have hardly made any gains as I've never managed to get a hold of my diet.

I love what I hear about the paleo diet which is sort of what has brought me here. 

My goal at the moment is to loose some fat and get down to about 80kg / 176 lbs from about 86 / 190 - I'm 6ft1 tall.

I've been a member of my current gym for about 15 months and have not really made any progress in that time, apart from loosing about 2kg. 

I love weight training when I'm there, but always have an excuse not to go to the gym. At the moment I go to the gym once or twice a month which is my worst attendance ever since I started all those years ago. 

I freelance and work from home now, so any time I'm not working I feel like I am being unproductive, so spending 2 hours in the gym (round trip) feels like a guilty pleasure rather than an essential part of my week. I also have many other excuses why I keep not going.

My goal is to look good: lose the gut and show a bit of muscle. I'd like to increase my strength as well but have pretty much given up on that. 

I currently train using the stronglifts 5x5 routine, doing bench, press, squat, deads and rows. But in the past I've pretty much always done a standard push/pull/legs split 3x8. 

I'm not sure why I'm hear. I guess I am looking for some motivation and to try and get on track. 

Merry Christmas!

Been lifting for years with not much to show for it. Time for a change!

Hello Bucky!

Welcome to the rebellion! Don't give up on getting stronger! Strength training is a great way to lose weight and pack on muscle (I know, captain obvious). Twice a month is not nearly enough to achieve your goals though.

In order to get anywhere you'll have to increase the frequency of the workouts: at least 2-3 times a week. If going to the gym is a hassle, try bodyweight workouts:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/bodyweight-training-resources/

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Hi guys, I wouldn't consider myself a nerd or anything but I've been reading the blog for ages and really like what Steve puts out.

I freelance and work from home now, so any time I'm not working I feel like I am being unproductive, so spending 2 hours in the gym (round trip) feels like a guilty pleasure rather than an essential part of my week. I also have many other excuses why I keep not going.

I'm not sure why I'm hear. I guess I am looking for some motivation and to try and get on track.

Merry Christmas!

Aha! A fellow freelancer stuck in the "am I being productive" trap!

Ok, that's been me for YEARS! Here's he thing, you have to focus your total mind on doing your work, remember , you are not just filling a chair for 8 hours. If you are at your desk or whatever, then you are working on your task and that only. Then when your task is complete, you move to your next important task which is looking after your fitness. (Or you can look after fitness first, but we're taking baby steps here). Your "excuse" for going to the gym for 2 hours? Well, since you are your company, you need to maintain your most valuable piece of equipment: YOU! (Steven Covey calls this "sharpening the saw").

Get out of the procrastination habit. Most "work" is just busy work to tell yourself you are being productive. Don't do that. Concentrate on actual work for clients and actual marketing to get more clients and forget the busy work. On this, to thine own self be true, and recognize when you are simply avoiding something you don't want to do, like cold calls, bookkeeping or... Going to the gym!

And remember, it's ok to have free time! That's the dream of so many people who wish they could work at home. Once your work is done, you can do other things! And you should. Otherwise you're stagnating and wasting a desirable lifestyle.

And now... Why aren't you a nerd?

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!