Forums are back in action! ×

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading nerd fitness since the past weekend (about 6 days now) and gleaning tons of useful information. I have always struggled with my weight, and have dieted off and on for as long as I can remember. This site has given me motivation, and speaks in a manner I like (no nonsense, cut straight to the chase type of manner). On Monday, I started a healthier life style, and I am trying to stick to the Paleo way of eating as much as I can. I love that type of food, and if I had always eaten like that I would already be epic...unfortunately I also like Big Macs, Pizza and huge helpings of my mom's spaghetti and meatballs. It was easier to go by a drive thru for breakfast and lunch than to plan it out, make something healthy and pack it.

I have also always hated exercise...spent hours in the treadmill and the elliptical for damn near nothing in return. I love the exercise philosophy around here.

So here is my basic run down...25 years old, nursing student, married with a baby on the way (just found that out, and I am definitely excited!) and on Monday, when I started, I weighed 432 pounds (hence big guy on board). Yeah, I know how horrible that is, but hey I am willing to kick ass, and have my ass kicked in order to drop the weight, build some lean muscle and be awesome.

PS: I was curious and weighed myself on Wednesday and had already dropped 4 pounds. Not too uncommon for someone my size though, but hell I will take the small victories.

-Anthony

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Welcome to the thread.

As a former big guy (well, I'm still big, but not like before), I want to say that you can absolutely do it. I counted calories and did the Nerd Fitness "No Gym, No Problem" workout for about 3 months and lost around 50lbs before switching to a gym and free weights.

You can read the interview I did with Steve on my 1-year anniversary here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/07/15/reader-spotlight-learn-how-matt-lost-157-pounds-in-one-year/

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Welcome to the Rebellion! Let us know if you have any questions. There are a bunch of very busy paleo people around here who should be able to help you come up with ways to incorporate those diet changes into a busy life - cooking in bulk, easy recipe ideas, on-the-go foods, etc. Also, I feel you on the elliptical/treadmill thing. I always knew in a sort of theoretical way that to actually get "toned" I should be lifting weights, but I thought I needed to prioritize doing my hour-long sessions of misery on the elliptical so I wouldn't get fat. What kind of exercise regimen are you looking to take on?

Welcome to the thread.

As a former big guy (well, I'm still big, but not like before), I want to say that you can absolutely do it. I counted calories and did the Nerd Fitness "No Gym, No Problem" workout for about 3 months and lost around 50lbs before switching to a gym and free weights.

You can read the interview I did with Steve on my 1-year anniversary here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/07/15/reader-spotlight-learn-how-matt-lost-157-pounds-in-one-year/

That is great and congratulations on your own lose! I do plan to eventually hit the gym (and actually buy the fitness guide) but for now I am using some of the free resources on the website for exercises. Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it!

Welcome on board! What are your goals (smart formulated)? if you put those in your mindset you have something to look up to and try to reach :) don't get dissapointed if it takes longer then expected. it is worth all the trouble :)

My goals for now are fairly modest. I would like to lose about 2 lbs per week and eventually get down to 180 and perhaps less. I would also like to get my body weight down to the 10% or less range. I definitely want to tone up.

I agree that it is definitely worth the trouble...I have not been, nor have I stayed, this motivated for a long time.

You can do it Uncle Tone! Stay motivated! Track your progress!

Thanks! I am currently tracking everything I eat and will also begin tracking my workouts etc. Helps keep my mind into it and keeps me on track.

Welcome to the Rebellion! Let us know if you have any questions. There are a bunch of very busy paleo people around here who should be able to help you come up with ways to incorporate those diet changes into a busy life - cooking in bulk, easy recipe ideas, on-the-go foods, etc. Also, I feel you on the elliptical/treadmill thing. I always knew in a sort of theoretical way that to actually get "toned" I should be lifting weights, but I thought I needed to prioritize doing my hour-long sessions of misery on the elliptical so I wouldn't get fat. What kind of exercise regimen are you looking to take on?

Great! I am sure I will have tons of questions and looking for some guidance throughout this whole process. I definitely intend to start some weight lifting, as I know that muscle and weights burn fat better than other exercises.

Right now, to start out, my plan is to do the Beginners Body Weight Exercises and the interval training on the NF blog. I am pretty much at a lost as to what other exercises to do, as my whole thought process was to do tons of cardio to drop weight. I have been exercising all wrong, so hopefully the body weight workout and the interval training will get me started pretty well.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

That is great and congratulations on your own lose! I do plan to eventually hit the gym (and actually buy the fitness guide) but for now I am using some of the free resources on the website for exercises. Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it!

Yeah, the only reason I joined a gym was because it got too cold to exercise outside - I needed a source for cardio to compliment the strength training. I cancelled the gym membership this past spring and may rejoin when winter gets here.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Just wanted to give an update. After 2 weeks my weight loss is at 12 lbs. The past week was hit or miss for me for numerous reasons, but they all sound a lot like excuses so I wont even name them.

This is a new week and I am ready to hit it hard.

I finally squared away the last few things I needed to do in order to begin a workout routine and began the beginner's body weight circuit tonight. It kicked my ass! I was not able to finish the entire thing, but hey we have to learn to crawl before we can walk, and walk before we can run.

I might try to go for a run/jog tomorrow morning if I can handle it, or I may end up walking briskly. I may try some interval running instead, as it seems it might be a bit more manageable.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update and let you guys know that I haven't given up and I am still here.

Congrats dude! I would suggest starting slow with low expectations for exercise (I know, I'm like, the downer of the group) so that you don't feel as though if you're failing if it turns out you've bitten off a bit more than you can chew. I've found that keeping myself wanting to do more exercise than I am doing each day keeps me coming back. In the past when I've gone, "I'll do this, and this, and this other thing!" I've just ended up feeling bad for falling short of my expectations.

Keep up that diet and keep going!

Congrats dude! I would suggest starting slow with low expectations for exercise (I know, I'm like, the downer of the group) so that you don't feel as though if you're failing if it turns out you've bitten off a bit more than you can chew. I've found that keeping myself wanting to do more exercise than I am doing each day keeps me coming back. In the past when I've gone, "I'll do this, and this, and this other thing!" I've just ended up feeling bad for falling short of my expectations.

Keep up that diet and keep going!

Thanks for the advice. When I started the beginner body weight workout today I was a little bummed that I could not finish it and that I struggled with some of the things, but then I realized that I should not have expected to be great right away and that it will take time. Instead of beating myself up over it, I complimented myself on actually doing something.

The most important thing is to avoid needless injury. I wouldn't even think about running until you've dropped a hundred pounds or more. You'd be asking for a knee, ankle or foot injury.

I was 412 lbs at one time and walked my way down to 254 in a year or so. When you're 300 or 400 pounds, low impact IS high impact. Walking (and fixing your diet) works.

Best of luck, man!

First: Congrats on the baby, the progress you've already made and making the decision to lead a healthier life! All AWESOME!

Second: I agree to be careful until you further progress. I would absolutely take the advice of people who are or were where you are. And, when in doubt, ask your doctor!

Keep us posted and keep up the good work! Remember every little bit helps.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!