Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all~

I found nerd fitness about a week ago while doing a web search for some fitness related something and decided to join. 

I also just joined one of those dreaded cookie-cutter fitness clubs in an attempt to motivate myself to workout. 

So, now to introduce myself, my goals, etc...

I am a twenty-something (27 in a couple weeks, yikes!) barista in a Seattle-based doughnut and coffee store. (I know, I know, not the easiest place to work for someone who's trying to get fit.) However, It pays (most of) the bills. I would really love to use my bachelor's in Digital Technology and get a "real job" sometime soon so that my husband can go back to school and pursue a career in the medical field. We have two all black kittens and live in a tiny condo. This tiny condo has about four square feet of free space and is not conducive to working out at home (not to mention my very limited selection of free weights), thus I joined a corporate gym where I can go at 4:00 am to exercise before going to work.This plan has one giant hole: I LOVE to sleep. It is my all time favorite activity. I am also a night owl who has been known to play MMOs like SWTOR until the wee hours of the morning. I tend to procrastinate to the point of failure, so in order to make sure I get a work-out in, it must be done first thing in the morning so by the time I'm awake, I'm already hitting the shower. 

My goals:

For January, my main goal is to make drinking more water a habit. I had been consuming 2-4 glasses per day. I have increased that to 10+ cups per day, which I find is extremely easy if I carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go. My secondary January goal is to take my vitamins every day (yay, fish burps!).

My long term goal is to shed body fat / gain lean muscle. I am currently sitting at 32.8% body fat according to my scale. Eventually, I would like to reach and maintain 18-20% body fat.  

I am on day two of a 28 day Paleo Challenge. I already know that not drinking coffee is going to be the hardest part, as it's what keeps me going through the afternoon (and I have such easy access as a barista).

I have good intentions of doing more than just cardio at the gym, but I am a little scared of the free weights. This is mostly because I'm afraid of hurting myself. I already have bunions which make running (and even walking long distances) painful, plus I just broke my left ring finger falling down the stairs at a Christmas party! Epic win!

Why I joined NF:

I need the support of a community to help me hold myself accountable for the reaching the goals I set. I am a bit of a follower, an observer, if you will. I find it much easier to just do what somebody tells me, than to figure out how to turn my blubbery body into trophy-wife form. Yes, I want to be healthy too, but I am honestly doing this for vanity. I don't recognize myself in the mirror now from how I looked three years ago. And I hope that a year from now, I will have evolved again, into a leaner, happier me.

You can keep the cookie. I'll decide my own fortune.

Welcome to the rebellion! It sounds like you're already off to a strong start with such detailed goals. Water consumption is always a good place to start. :)

Definitely check out the Warriors guild and the lifting pages - the ladies here are inspiring when it comes to using weights. A lot of them are the reason I finally sucked it up and went into the weight section despite feeling super uncomfortable. Now it's second nature.

And you will definitely find a community for accountability here. It's probably the best part of NF. 

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Welcome to the rebellion, Xthursday!

Don't be afraid of the free weights! They are your friends! Like most things, it'sa matter of habit. It's scary at first, but as you keep going it gets easier and easier. So fear not! Put on those gym shoes and get to work!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.