Forums are back in action! ×

Ahoy, fellow rebels! My name is RandomEncounter, and I'm one of the newest recruits to the rebellion.

I've been a follower of Nerd Fitness for a couple of months now, and struck out on my journey to level up my body at the beginning of December. I've been successfully lone-wolfing it for a few weeks, but decided to join up with my fellow rebels so that I could actually talk about the things I'm doing.

So here's a little bit about me, and where I'm headed.

Character Stats:

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 215.8 lbs

Body Fat: 29.4%

Main Quest:

Reduce my body fat down to 15%, and my weight down to roughly 180.

Related Quests / Milestones:

• Reach Level 4 of the Rebel Fitness Guide (currently Level 1)
  • Be able to fit into my old jeans with a 34" waist (currently 38")

Motivation:

A few months back, I was asked to recall some details of my family medical history for the doctor. Off the top of my head, I was able to recall two instances of cancer (one of which was fatal), two strokes, a pair of heart attacks, and an instance of Type II diabetes. Holy genetic predispositions, Batman!

If I were to continue my former eating habits and sedentary lifestyle, I'd be almost guaranteed to bring one of those major health issues upon myself prematurely. Not wanting to die feels like pretty good motivation. If I die early, I wouldn't be able to see all the awesome things that the future has in store! I swear, if I don't make it long enough to see flying cars, I'm gonna be mad :tongue:

Why I've Failed in the Past:

1. I was doing it wrong
    Extreme calorie restriction. Lengthy cardio sessions. Weight machines. Low-fat, high-carb diets. If Steve has written a blog post about something you should completely avoid, I've probably tried it at one point or another...probably in tandem with something else that wasn't good for me.

2. Social pressure
    "Hey RandomEncounter, we're all headed to the bar for Monday Morning Margarita Madness. It's buy 1, get 8 free on sugar-itas. You in?" You bet your ass I was.

3. Analysis paralysis (aka "collecting underpants")
    I'd endlessly collect diet and exercising tips, and then never put them into action, because so much of the data conflicted, and I could never devise The Perfect Plan.

This isn't another This Time Will Be Different moment. "This time will be different," roughly translates to, "I'll do this until I run out of willpower."

This time, I know that small, sustainable changes will trump cold-turkey switches to "ideal" plans.

This time, I have a set of exercise plans that have been battle-tested by other rebels.

This time, I have the knowledge to make the right nutritional choices.

This time, I have a vast community to look to for support.

This time, I'm going to go out there and kick some ass.

Let's do this thing!

Allons-y!

Half-Orc | Adventurer

[LV 2 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2]