Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from balmy old Utah. Well... compared to other parts of the U.S. right now, 22 degrees sounds downright balmy, but I digress.

Heard about this site from a local geek podcast (GeekShowPodcast.com; Give them a listen. Super entertaining) and decided I'd jump on. I've been wanting to get back in to shape for a long while now but lack the proper motivation to do so. In other words, I'm just a lazy ass :-) Truthfully, my motivation these days comes from having a 10 month old daughter who is just the love of my life (aside from my wife). I feel like I owe it to her and my wife to be the best "me" I can possibly be. They deserve to have a father and husband whose health they don't need to worry about every day (i.e. heart attacks, etc).

Ideally, I just want to get in better shape but it would be awfully nice to lose some lbs from my tummy. If I could eliminate Pepsi and an urge to eat cookies, I might be alright. But I just need to engage in overall better eating habits. I used to play collegiate level basketball for a small college and am quite embarrassed at the level of unhealthiness I've let my body get to. These days, I doubt I could run to the end of the driveway to fetch the trash can, let alone run a further distance for health purposes. And actually shooting a basketball? Yeah... right.

On a personal level, I grew up a "geek" but never really embraced it until about 5 years ago. I love reading comic books (my escape from depression for a few minutes each day), love Doctor Who, Arrested Development, think that Sherlock is the best thing to happen to tv in the last 5 years, and am an avid music junkie who likes listening to things that actually challenge me (Do you hear me, Pop Music? I'm talking to you! You suck!!!).

Anyways... I'm glad to be here and look forward to getting to know a few people to share this common bond with and cheerlead each other on, so long as we don't actually dress like cheerleaders. That's a post for an entirely different site, I'm sure. All the best :-)