Forums are back in action! ×

Never Going Back Again

Greetings everyone!

My name is Mike and I'm from sunny Orlando, Florida. I'm 25 years old and I am trying to get my life in order, health wise at least.

I suffer from End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) which basically means I have kidney failure. Hereditary condition that I was lucky enough to inherit. They've stopped working. Kaput. It's not so bad. I do dialysis every night from home while I sleep. It pretty much means that I have an excuse to get nine hours of sleep each night (that's how long my treatment is). I can pretty much do everything I've always done, except swim. Which kills me BECAUSE this is Florida we're talking about. It's hot as shit. It's nice to cool down in the pool during the summer months (which is like every month).

Anyways, I've started eating Paleo (sort of). Not everything I eat is organic or grass fed, but I'm trying. I used to be 240 pounds, over a couple of years of going up and down I am currently 178. I haven't really started any sort of real workout routine, but I've been walking my dog a few miles a day. I did read up on the beginner body weight workout and interval training and I think I feel comfortable enough to give that a shot.

I'm very interested in starting yoga here soon. There's a studio not too far from my house that teaches Ashtanga. Also, I saw on here that one of the guilds is the Druids and I think that's where I'll probably end up fitting in. I know yoga will do wonders for my body and my mind. I'm on the transplant list and have been for the past 14 months. It's drawing near (although I have absolutely no clue when the call will come). I'm just trying to stay positive and active. I want to be healthy when the transplant finally comes along and thereafter.

Like the title of this post says, I'm never going back again. Taken from one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs (I'm slightly obsessed with Stevie Nicks): "Been down one time, been down two times, I'm never going back again."

Thanks for having me!

New year, new me. Bring it on 2014!