Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Everyone!

Been browsing the forum for a few days now, I found the site last week when I had grown a bit frustrated with my progress in the gym.  Just as a bit of backstory, about 15 years ago I tipped the scales @ about 370. I got off my but and lost 180 pounds the old fashioned way: Blood, sweat and exercise.

I work in finance and the past few years have been pretty hectic.. last year I realized i had packed on 15 pounds and re-devoted myself to getting into shape.  I wanted to drop the excess weight I had put on, and build some muscle.  Using the gym weight machines I didn't really feel like I was getting anywhere, so went out to the Google machine and stumbled across Nerdfitness.  The amount of info I've gleaned from the website has been great.  I did squats and deadlifts for a half hour tonight and I have a feeling that working with free weights is going to be much more produtive to my goals!

So I'm sort of in the middle right now, at a cross roads.  I lost a chunk of weight but now I'm looking to go in the other direction and add some back.

Look forward to participating!

Welcome to the rebellion, Robpocalypse!

Congratulations on the weight loss! Check out the powerlifting forums for info on how to pack on the muscles! The basic rule is "eat big, lift big".

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thanks for the welcome!

My weight loss was path was about as low tech and uninformed as you can get. This was a time really before the explosion of dietary info we have now!

It was a severe calorie restriction (1,200 calories a day) and i ate basically the same thing, every day: Bowl of cornflakes for breakfast, turkey sandwich and 2 rice cakes for lunch, apple for snack and a chicken breast and potatoe for dinner. I mixed a granola bar in there once in awhile too. Combined with exercise I was able to shed the weight in about 18 months.

Looking back it was by far not the best method, I did virtually no strength training and wound up eating more muscle than I would have liked too.

You came a lot farther than I did, but came to the same realization after losing the weight, that you actually should have strength trained and want to gain the weight back, but in muscle. I lost 40 pounds, then packed 15 pounds of muscle after a year of lifting weights. Good luck on your journey! Consistency is king.