Forums are back in action! ×

HELLO THERE.

I've been a reader but I am trying to build more community around working out and getting pumped.

ME:

* I'm a woman, newly 31, New Yorker

* "active fat" -> I do a lot of dance (ballet, modern dance), handstands, cartwheels, bike riding (in the spring/summer I'll ride the 20 mile round trip to work a few times a week, etc.) Still fat - 5'11" and about 260lbs.

* I've gotten back into going to the gym specifically to train for a physical comedy intensive I'm doing in February and I forgot how much going to the gym rules.

* Nerd cred: blah blah sci fi blah blah reading about science blah blah I like smart workout information in particular and kinesiology thrills me from all my time as a dancer in particular.

Weightloss is definitely not one of my goals; getting stronger is a goal and better cardiovascular endurance is a goal and I assume that will lead to weight loss but I haven't figured out how to engage with that concept in a way that doesn't feel insane. I am really interested to hear from people who are not defining their goals in terms of weightloss. I am also not dealing with food right now because I haven't found a way that doesn't make me feel insane immediately.

WHAT I AM DOING IN THE GYM:
* 8 minutes on the rower at a moderate rate

* 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical aka the prancercice machine: 30 secs all out, 30 secs recovery 5 times, 3 minute break, and repeat once (I would like to be able to do this twice)

* some kind of ab work (last night I got through 10 hanging pikes, at least the first 7 of which were to 90 degrees, and I wanted a Greek god to visit me and award me a trophy - then 10 more hanging knee lifts. Someday I want to be able to pike up to my face!)

* arm days: bench pressing (currently 2 sets x 12 reps at the bar + 10, whatever that weighs; I could do more but I'm chicken); overhead rows (2 sets x 10 reps x 15lb dumbbells on the 1st set and usually I have to drop to 10 on the second); I am inspired to start adding inverted rows but intimidated.

* leg days: I am squat intimidated and just do bodyweight squats, 2 sets to fatigue. I am intimidated by the squat cage and the serious dude party that always happens around it. That's it because I feel like anything else just gets redundant. Also I live in NYC and climb something like the equivalent of 30 flights of stairs a day (thanks Fitbit! Thanks 4th floor walkup!) so that feels like enough right there.

SO HELLO THERE. I am psyched to hear from you. I'm sad to have missed the start of the 6 week challenge but given I'll be off to clown school soon the timing would not be ideal anyways. I would love to hear if anyone has ideas about other/different leg exercises, and from people who are not weightloss-focused but just want to become ever more beasty in their strength so as to be able to survive when the apocalypse comes and we have to get all Lauren Olamina about our survival.

Welcome to the rebellion, Speedwagon!

Well, if your objective is strength gain, you'll want to head over to the powerlifting forum for info. That's you best bet. Also, you say you don't want to deal with food right now, but it really is the most important aspect. you don't have to do a complete overhaul in one day (in fact that's a bad idea). Pick one thing to change every week or every two weeks, and before you know it you'll have completely changed your habits!

Here are some info sources.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thanks for the pointer - I will head over that way. I just did my personal best bench to date @ the gym earlier and it was very exciting.

Food-wise, again, I appreciate the tips. I'm being careful on purpose due to my specific history. I'd love to hear from anyone who has figured out how to engage with eating better with an unhealthy eating history. My eating patterns are functional now, if not super stellar in what it is I am eating, and I am afraid to fall down a rabbit hole. Maybe this is a nutritionist question? A psychologist question? Curious what others have done.