Forums are back in action! ×

Getting back on my feet!

Hello  from the North! i'm 33 and I'm Canadian and I live close to Montreal, on the south shore, i'm a kind of hybrid nerd, I love to play videogames, i'm into RC cars and trucks, and I love camping and hiking/trekking.  To make my story short, since i'm with my girlfriend, my activities drastically lowered....I use to do alot of trekking and hiking, camping, and I really tried to get my firlfriend into it, but she just dont like it... she had knee surgery when she was young, and she says it hurts when she walk to much, climb stairs and stuff, it's probably true, but what I think really hurts her, is the overweight on her knees...told her that but she doesnt believe me...and I think she is dragging me down with her!  I've been thinking alot lately, specially when she told me she want to lose weight and doesnt do anything about it, that i'll have te rely on myself if I really want to get back in shape! i'm not really a Gym guy, but I really like outdoor, forest and that kind of stuff, and I got dumbells at home...you know, the plastic golden ones that you put on the sticks depending on the weight you wanna lift, so I decided to find myself a general program, nothing fancy to put myself into shape slowly but surely! combined with snowshoeing, trekking and hiking, I should be able to get that stamina that I had when I was younger! my goal is mainly getting my stamina back and lose some weight!  I started cutting junk food slowly, because I know if I cut it completely, I wont be able to make it...so no milk and sugar in my coffee, I drink it mostly black or got little individual sachets of a natural sugar called stevia, no more sodas (that's actually not that hard) alot of water and no snacks at night when watching tv or playing computer...replaced chips by trail mixes, and I really dont eat that much of it, fruits and veggies...

anyway! that's my start!

Welcome to the rebellion, Patski!

Oy, it's tough when your loved ones don't want to join you on the wellness journey, but what can you do? You have a pretty good plan there. Watching what you eat and moving regularly are the sure path to wellness!

Who knows? maybe your girlfriend will join you when she sees the results you are getting!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

it's been 4 days since I started paleo and the basic program...I have to say, I cheated a bit, not that much, but I got food in the fridge and I cant let it go to waste, for now, I must say that paleo isnt that hard, I cutted bread, cheese and junk food, and so far so good!  the hardest thing to replace is actually bread...I need to find another filler, I tried yams yesterday, and I actually like it! but I cant have yams at every meal...I did the basic program twice, and i'm still adjusting with weights...I just need to find some good recipes for paleo, specially for lunch, and breakfast....four dinner, i'm a huge meat lover, so a good steak, some wax beans and maybe half a yam and i'm good!

it's been 4 days since I started paleo and the basic program...I have to say, I cheated a bit, not that much, but I got food in the fridge and I cant let it go to waste, for now, I must say that paleo isnt that hard, I cutted bread, cheese and junk food, and so far so good!  the hardest thing to replace is actually bread...I need to find another filler, I tried yams yesterday, and I actually like it! but I cant have yams at every meal...I did the basic program twice, and i'm still adjusting with weights...I just need to find some good recipes for paleo, specially for lunch, and breakfast....four dinner, i'm a huge meat lover, so a good steak, some wax beans and maybe half a yam and i'm good!

I think wax beans are not paleo. You might want to double check on that. Check the nutrition forum. There are tons of recipes there.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Hey, Patski- welcome from a fellow Canadian just down the road. (Ottawa)

My wife and I have different diets going on, but it's rarely an issue. My wife doesn't believe in giving up grains, but she doesn't stop me from doing it. She eats scrambled eggs with toast, and I'll eat an omelette filled with veggies. When we have burgers, she uses a bun and I don't. Going one person Paleo takes a little work, but making a Paleo meal is a good meal for everyone to eat. Just be willing to do more cooking and there shouldn't be an issue.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

I actually did that yesterday ;) a burger without bun and a yam with some yellow beans...that was actually pretty good! I really dont wanna force her to do anything she doesnt want...it has to come from her...if she wanna do it, then good...if not..well too bad!!! anyway, she was impressed with the sweet potato yesterday...

There is something that I found out a couple of days ago...since I started my version of Paleo (i'm cheating a bit with sometime yogurt and wax beans, because I love them so much) that I wasnt sleepy anymore after dinner....usually, at 7:30, i'm starting yawning like crazy and at 9, my eyes close by themselves! now, I go to bed because I get up at 6 in the morning...not because i'm so sleepy that I cant even stay awake...that's a big big plus for me!