Forums are back in action! ×

Bringing out my inner Sheik

The title is a Legend of Zelda reference, of course.  I got the original game for NES when I was 5 and became hooked because it was my first video game that wasn't my brother's first.  With N64, I moved on to OoT and when the *spoilers* Sheik/Zelda connection was revealed, I fell in love with the characters.  Zelda is gorgeous, dignified, and smart, and Sheik is just...awesome.  I realized I was Zelda...assuming the Gossip Stone told the truth about her being a tomboy.  It inspired me to be a self-rescuing princess, but I somehow let that die down when I got older.  When I was a princess in a parade court in 2012 I realized the kid version of me would be so excited, especially because I earned it with my brains.  I'll always be a little bit Princess Zelda on the surface.  I guess now I'm realizing that I need to let out the Sheik hiding behind the gown and tiara.

I was so active as a kid.  I was always running around the neighborhood with the guys playing sports or jumping off of things and getting in trouble for playing so hard I was covered in dirt and sometimes [my own] blood.  I did ballet until I was 10, when I had to choose between activities and joined the town basketball league.  I was the only girl on the team and pretty shy.  On top of that, hormones made my not-so-healthy diet start to catch up to me and I got a little chubby.  I got made fun of for wearing hair bows and went full-on tomboy with my clothes.  My parents never encouraged a wonderful diet, and I didn't know any better.  But I played basketball for 4 years and swam and played tennis every summer.  I even started track in middle school.  By high school, I was too busy to snack between meals and thinned out again for a while.  I was super-active.  Fall was XC, winter and spring were track and field (heavy on shotput and discus), and summer was swimming and tennis.  The completely different types of movement caught up to me and I got injured...a lot.  My last year of high school I twisted my knee so badly that I was on crutches for a couple of months and missed qualifying for states in shotput.  I've had bad knees ever since and one that clicks when I go up and down stairs.

Then came college.  I joined pep band (which was one of the best choices I ever made) and was involved in a ton of different clubs, especially German/language ones.  I had to focus on academics and was one of few girls who wasn't in the gym constantly on some machine.  My only exercise was intramural teams, which were fun but not super active, and occasional basketball games with a friend.  After college, it was straight to law school, which took over every part of life.  During those 3 years, my better half and I tried to inspire each other to eat healthier and work out, but failed every time.  Now I'm an attorney trying to find a job, which isn't helping lower the stress any.  Neither is the stubborn weight I gained after high school.  It doesn't look horrible, but I know that it's not healthy and it's hiding who I am.

Now my guy's been doing CrossFit for 2 months and loves it.  I'm so excited for him, but I'm so tired of him hinting that I should join.  I know that's not the only solution and it's not something I'm ready for right now, if ever.  He doesn't know it, but since before Jan 1 I've been eating healthier and using the Leslie Sansone walking videos almost every day for 2 of 3 miles at a time.  I want to build up to more (I want to start the beginner body weight workout on here soon) and beyond videos, but my first goal is a month where I stick with the walking and at the very least don't feel pressured to indulge in junk food.  I'm also having actual meals instead of making some excuse to occasionally have something like potato chips only for dinner.  

It's a small start, but I'm already enjoying it.  I don't exactly know what my ultimate fitness goal is because I want to try different things for now.  I definitely want to work on flexibility and strength.  I'm hoping at some point I can dig up the shotput and discus I have and eventually beat my PRs...maybe make that qualifying distance I never got in high school.  Right now, I'm just taking small steps and looking to drop 20 or so more pounds in the next several months.  I'm already down a few pounds and inches!  And I'm feeling all-around better.

I've been lurking around this site for over a week and decided I love the articles and attitude here, especially Rebel Rule 9 (we question everything).  It's hard to find friends to join me when they're more interested in the fad diets and exercises.  Or people just don't understand why I want to get fit.  That's why I'm here.  I'm hoping this can be my support system until I can build one irl (and after that happens too).

Looking forward to an adventure!

• Like 1

http://thecraftygerman.blogspot.com/

Amazon Princess, Level 2 Rebel

Starting Weight: 185 (May 1, 2017)/ Goal Weight: 160 / Current Weight: 170 (July 19, 2017)

Welcome to the rebellion, Wilkymouse!

The slow and steady approach is the right one! It's great that you've already started to make some changes. Fixing your diet is the most important part of the fitness journey. Don't worry about your boyfriend and crossfit: if you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's simple as that. Stick to exercises you enjoy and work on improving those! Ooh, shotput and discus! You'll have to take some videos later!

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thanks guys! It's wonderful to have support here, even if its just a few posts. I hope I can get more involved.

I went to see a friend in a CrossFit competition today (it was amazing to watch) and I like the community and it reminds me of my indoor track days, but I know it's not for me now. I got asked by a couple of peopl why I don't do CrossFit, then pushed more when I said I don't want to. Maybe it'll be like the motorcycle community where I'll eventually give in (not like I even have a bike to go with my license), but not for now.

I definitely need a place with no pressure to do things a specific way and this feels like a good fit. Looking forward to leveling up and finding my place here!

http://thecraftygerman.blogspot.com/

Amazon Princess, Level 2 Rebel

Starting Weight: 185 (May 1, 2017)/ Goal Weight: 160 / Current Weight: 170 (July 19, 2017)