Forums are back in action! ×

Starting a healthier lifestyle.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking the NF site for months now without doing a thing and I've finally gotten the courage to do something about it.

What I want to do first is lose weight, I weigh around 260lbs and my height is 5'6. My eating habit is horrible. I know for a fact that just exercising won't do me any good nor do I have the attention span or patience to keep up with it.

So what I plan to do is fix my sleeping habit and what I eat. I've gotten into a bad habit of not eating anything when I wake up that leads to stuffing myself later and then eating really late at night. I want to focus on my diet first before starting any exercises.

I've also been looking into topics of what to eat instead of eggs or cereal in the mornings. I like the idea of protein and fruit shakes, my aunt has a protein powder called SECURE Complete Meal Replacement, that I'm a little bit unsure of. Any suggestions on protein powder would be appreciated!

Very interested in starting the Paleo diet but I don't have any organic grocery stores around here or the money to buy it. Gotta look into it and find any alternatives.

So yeah, these are the goals I want to start to build up good habits, meet like minded people and challenge myself to stay on a healthy path.

Welcome to the rebellion, GumWrapper!

Ok, to start out, I think you have the wrong approach to diet. Protein shakes are ok, but watch out for "meal replacement" things. They tend to contain lots of sugar. If you want protein shakes, go for 100% whey protein isolate or something like that. As for eggs in the morning: go ahead! They're fine! I eat eggs everyday.

As for the organic stuff, it's fine too. Just do the best you can with what you have. Buy fresh produce and lean meats and go to town with that. Paleo is only one option amond others. Experiment and find what works best for you.

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

For breakfast, there are some great options. None of these are strictly paleo (I have...strong opinions on Paleo to put it mildly) but they'll keep you moving! 

1. Smoked salmon and fruit 

2. Apples and peanut butter (also a delicious snack!) If you want to do paleo, do almond butter, but almond butter is almost absurdly expensive. 

3. Avocado and smoked salmon (this is actually my favorite breakfast, mainly because I am a salt fiend and it's a good excuse to have salty smoked salmon and a salted avocado)

4. Plain yogurt with fruit and a few nuts. Add a drizzle of honey if you want some added sweetness. 

5. You can also do smoothies quite easily. Hit up the produce section and get your fixens. Then put them in individual sandwich baggies (1 for each smoothie) in the fridge/freezer. In the morning, just dump the lot into the blender and add some yogurt/Kefir and blend away! 

6. One of those babybell cheeses and some fruit (that's my don't have time for breakfast breakfast)

7. Experiment with steel cut oats and combos that you like. They take longer to cook, but you can do them in the crockpot overnight and they'll be ready for your enjoyment.

8. Don't forget bacon! It's easy to do in the morning - just toss a few strips in the oven at 415 farenheit, go get ready, and by the time you're done in 20 minutes, they're ready for you.  

I think a protein powder smoothie can be okay. I know plenty of people who just aren't breakfast people but want to eat something in the morning for health reasons. If a protein smoothie is what gets you to do that, then do it. 

Diets are terrible. Food is good.